Is a small scale dairy startup viable

I gave a lad 500 in 08 to put in a sh tank , smaller than that . I doubt if you will get anyone cheaper ..is the gas very expensive?
In 2015 I paid 400 to take out the tank I bought as I was stuck for a tank and he was a Kerryman and that included installation and gas as well, 800 gallon mueller tank.

The solids issue would be geared more towards keeping down your cartage costs. But at 40l even just the butterfly at 4.3 is 1.6kgs of solids before the protein, at 20l at 5bf and 4pro you're sending 1.8kgs per cow. That's why imo it's important to look at high yielding systems when keeping numbers low.

But with the a+b-c pricing the 40l will have 80cent less than the 20l cow per kg of milk solid. And when milk price drops it's the a and b that drop the c deduction remains constant which hurts high yielders even more

Similar situation here , started dairy in 2018 with 50heifers in a second hand 12 unit parlour, built shed and used a 6 span beef slatted shed as the collecting yard , got into dairy relatively cheap in the fact we didnt go overbord buying new and trying to do everything the one year. Didnt do cubicles we house on slats and straw when near calving and it seems to be working for the moment. Cubicles will be built down the line but not in any rush. Milking 90 cows this year on 62acres , we never utilised grass as good and still believe Dairy will always be the top performer. Re milk prices going down because of everybody expanding I dont think this is a valid point. It might make a small difference but as said in this thread we are only small guys in the global market here in Ireland. There will always be a demand for our produce and we can produce it in the most economically and environmentally efficient way -grass fed.
Also A dairy farmer working for himself can have lots of free time and not be tied to the system if he wants , yes cows have to be milked twice a day but this time of year a farmer could easily get a milker for the odd milking or take the whole day off between milkings, calving can be hectic with everything happening at the one time but the work eases, although its like any system you can make it as easy or hard as you want simple things like not having good facities and a few different groups of stock can be a major draw on a system.
What kind of land do you have

I’m milking 70 cows on grazing platform of 28 acres. Fairly heavy Monaghan soil. Cows get grass daily and go to paddock at the shed at night. I feed them good quality sillage at night

That's good going...how much outside ground have u access to then... 28 dry acres ?

That's good going...how much outside ground have u access to then... 28 dry acres ?
I’ve another 16 acres across the road that I mimight use 4 acres of round end of June( or mid Probably this year) when growth drops for a rotation . I take 3 Cust silage of it and another 2 out farms

hi lads, is there any chance that I could convert a suckler farm to a dairying , I farm 85 acres ,30 of which is very heavy and would need draining and is also under a heavy crop of rushes and the rest is well fenced and free draining ,there is a 4 bay double lean 2 slatted shed ,calf house and silage pit in place , could I justify the investment

Have you much experience working with dairy cows?

How much should a dairy farmer pay himself ??? (ie. I imagine a farmer milking 20 cows pays himself twice as much as a guy milking 10 and so on up the line 80 cow / 40 cow ECT). And if did is not da case what sort of fools are we. And remember by nature of the fact you are reading this we all are too!!

How much should a dairy farmer pay himself ??? (ie. I imagine a farmer milking 20 cows pays himself twice as much as a guy milking 10 and so on up the line 80 cow / 40 cow ECT). And if did is not da case what sort of fools are we. And remember by nature of the fact you are reading this we all are too!!
Tillage farmer here and I pay myself €20 an hour.

I work two hours a day.

Back