Ivy on trees

JdMtV6e.jpg

Can taking bits of bark off in the process do harm to the trees?
a>

I did chainsaw a few years ago and removed a one foot section but it rejoined itself in five years. Also there's thousands to do so it won't be all done manually!
I joined REPS in 2006 and the planner requested that I cut the ivy off all the whitethorn trees because it makes them top heavy and they could fall in a storm, I have 250 whitethorn trees on the farm. He recommended a bushman saw for the job, I said WTF do you think I've anything else to do? He said it's only a few trees. I did about 4 in total and got fed up of the job, sure enough the next storm and all the trees I cut the ivy off fell and the rest stayed standing.

I joined REPS in 2006 and the planner requested that I cut the ivy off all the whitethorn trees because it makes them top heavy and they could fall in a storm, I have 250 whitethorn trees on the farm. He recommended a bushman saw for the job, I said WTF do you think I've anything else to do? He said it's only a few trees. I did about 4 in total and got fed up of the job, sure enough the next storm and all the trees I cut the ivy off fell and the rest stayed standing.

People say that Roundup doesn’t work on ivy, I always assumed that it was because of the waxy leaves.

I’ve painted Roundup/water mix onto ivy leaves recently and it worked a treat.
It’s systemic so it kills the root too.

It was the ordinary Gallup 360 version of Roundup that I used.

Roundup for Jap Knotweed but my God it’s some fighter.

Needs to get into the roots to kill it - if a small area, paint some Roundup mixed with water onto the roots - I’ve had the best results doing this. Be careful not to snap any of the white buds off the roots as these create new plants.

Forefront t does the job but isn't used by the council's for fear of getting it in the water

Bits like you have in your picture wont matter but if you remove the bark around the entire trunk the tree will die.

That was one I bust into a bit much. Anything less the 25% of the way round to tree shouldn’t do much harm I read online.
The ivy is withering away anyway!

That was one I bust into a bit much. Anything less the 25% of the way round to tree shouldn’t do much harm I read online.
The ivy is withering away anyway!
It's a very handy way to remove ivy :Thumbp2:. I went around here a few years ago with the chainsaw cutting the ivy on the bigger Ash trees that were in a bad way with it and it was hardship. Some of the ivy was as think as a mans arm. Fierce shite and I think it's getting worse.

IMG_3295.jpegIMG_3293.jpegIMG_3292.jpegIMG_3296.jpegI planted a selection of trees 15 years ago (Ash, Beech, Horse Chestnut & Sycamore), it’s amazing to see that some of them are now 20-30ft tall.
Trimming the ivy around their bases this evening. Pruning saw is handy for it.

Back