Jersey bull weanlings

Carrigogunnell

Have 10 of them here still full bulls but not to sure what to do with them. Not weighed yet but have not done as well as i would like.
Do i squeeze them and what they make or keep them as bulls and keep them in and kill them outa the shed sometime next yr

Are they not gone a bit strong for squeezing, if you want rid of them take them to mart and take your beating, it's that or feed them to kill them, just be careful with them, nothing as cross as a jersey bull.

Are they not gone a bit strong for squeezing, if you want rid of them take them to mart and take your beating, it's that or feed them to kill them, just be careful with them, nothing as cross as a jersey bull.

There getting there now alright thats y i posted i have to make up my mind. I was told when i bought them all u can do is kill them out of the shed.
Yes have seem them before and there sheer nutters they will never be let out anyway

There getting there now alright thats y i posted i have to make up my mind. I was told when i bought them all u can do is kill them out of the shed.
Yes have seem them before and there sheer nutters they will never be let out anyway
Have they been dehorned? Local man who had a jersey herd always left the bulls until they started to get a bit 'pokey' before doing them as it quietened them off a bit again when they got done

I am going to weight them in the next week. I have in my head for them to be over 500 live weight by june. There are out holsteins cows so there not going to be super animals. The plan is to keep them indoor and see how they go. Any suggestions as to what they will eat and how much money they might cost.
They are currently in between 150 to 200 euro

I would have them castrated specifically to try to stay alive and to destine them to a niche market. Jersey beef is supposed to be of very good eating quality because of its very high marbling.

Can you get a home-kill to prove it. Invite a local quality-butcher to dinner, serve him some superb steak, and secure a long-term contract. :Thumbp2:

I would have them castrated specifically to try to stay alive and to destine them to a niche market. Jersey beef is supposed to be of very good eating quality because of its very high marbling.

Can you get a home-kill to prove it. Invite a local quality-butcher to dinner, serve him some superb steak, and secure a long-term contract. :Thumbp2:

I cant say i ever heard that about jersey beef only that it tends to end up in kababs. Its a good idea tho worth a tought.
There is surely some way of making money out of these animals lads. Theres going to be an awful lot of them around in the next 5 yrs as there seems to be a big push for crossbreds at the moment
I was only talking to the farm owner where they came from today and he was asking the same question. 500 cows not all in calf to jerseys but i would think 70% he was asking how i was getting on with them.

They do say that the meat is awesome. Trouble is that there's so little of it!
When it comes to processing the ÂŁ/kg sold processing and disposal costs are going to be far higher on a low yielding carcass. And if you can't get decent high value joints or steaks off then it's worse.

Plus the little get is going to eat a fair ammount for the low weight.

I cant say i ever heard that about jersey beef only that it tends to end up in kababs. Its a good idea tho worth a tought.
There is surely some way of making money out of these animals lads. Theres going to be an awful lot of them around in the next 5 yrs as there seems to be a big push for crossbreds at the moment
I was only talking to the farm owner where they came from today and he was asking the same question. 500 cows not all in calf to jerseys but i would think 70% he was asking how i was getting on with them.

My own view is we'd have to try and get these out of the country asap once born.

Are the Dutch using solely HO for veal or are JE used too?

My own view is we'd have to try and get these out of the country asap once born.

Are the Dutch using solely HO for veal or are JE used too?
what he wants to do is buy a lump hammer and do what they do in new zealand when they,re born:sad:

They do say that the meat is awesome. Trouble is that there's so little of it!
When it comes to processing the ÂŁ/kg sold processing and disposal costs are going to be far higher on a low yielding carcass. And if you can't get decent high value joints or steaks off then it's worse.

Plus the little get is going to eat a fair ammount for the low weight.

When we were young we used to keep a jersey bull calf for the freezer. He would be castrated at about 6 months and fed on to about 24 months. Marbling was never spectacular on them and they were lean enough. But we got lots of nice roasts, stewing beef, and mince. It was always nice meat. Usually got the calf for nothing or very small money. Then as kids the feeding was our job.

Been there done that, waste of time trying to fatten jersey crosses. I kept them as Bulls for 2 years and was lucky to get a buyer at a break even price. The man I sold them to put them on rough grazing with ad lib meal until one day 3 of them surrounded him in the field, only luck he had was ringing a neighbour who was passing the field at the time and he managed to scatter them. They went straight to the factory after that and almost killed each other in the pen. He broke even as well. I wouldn't let a jersey inside the gate now.

But jersey bulls are pure mad, not even fit for that job.
Agree'd
Had to have a man with a big big gun in to deal with my uncles old Jersey bull. Just flipped out one day.
The previous owner used to lead him round with a bit of twine through his nose ring! Quiet as a mouse!

To update this I finally got a scales to weigh them. All near 12 months old. 320 289 343 311 344 358 352 357 320 316. I am happy enough with that. Going to run into more than I tought meal wise. If i had done them a bit better on grass I reckon I would have 30 + more kgs on them

To update this I finally got a scales to weigh them. All near 12 months old. 320 289 343 311 344 358 352 357 320 316. I am happy enough with that. Going to run into more than I tought meal wise. If i had done them a bit better on grass I reckon I would have 30 + more kgs on them

Any sign of them getting humoursome yet :whistle:

saw that ad too, he also takes bvd calves so i,d reckon theres a bit of milking the system going on, how much of a subsidy does the government give on each calf that goes to a knackery ?, i,ve heard 60 euro mentioned but i don,t know if there,s any truth in that though
Saw that part of the ad. Didn't realise there was a subsidy to be honest. I hate these type of ads or the ones looking for fallen or injured animals. Give me the creeps for some reason

Back