Jr perry

I'd say items from the auction will appear seasonally on the likes of Donedeal, a box of combine belts is worth little to someone who doesn't know what they all belong to but sort out all the belts and match them to specific makes and models then in August these belts could bring good money. To an ex storeman or good NH mechanic the auction items could be a good investment...

New tractor sales wouldn’t it double figures to the best of my knowledge. Dealers from surrounding counties were selling more tractors in limerick than them .
Whelans supposed to be going into Declan Geary’s yard in Bruree but that could be just a yarn too, if they don’t have a base in the county I can’t see too many headed to Ennis to buy tractors.

Whelans supposed to be going into Declan Geary’s yard in Bruree but that could be just a yarn too, if they don’t have a base in the county I can’t see too many headed to Ennis to buy tractors.
They might cross saltwater and go for a yellow number plate.
People complain if there is not a dealership within an hour of them but will travel big distances to get a bargain.
The lies and denials from big manufacturers when there is a problem is what bring down dealerships as well as changes in farming systems and failure to adapt to those changes.

Isn’t Declan still trading out of that yard ? To keep the bank away . Ennis isn’t that far to travel to . And look at the competition I dealership covering 3 counties albeit they have now opened in ennis to compete with whelans in Clare . People will travel to buy tractors / machinery as long as backup is there when they need it .

Isn’t Declan still trading out of that yard ? To keep the bank away . Ennis isn’t that far to travel to . And look at the competition I dealership covering 3 counties albeit they have now opened in ennis to compete with whelans in Clare . People will travel to buy tractors / machinery as long as backup is there when they need it .
Can’t see to many heading to Ennis tbh,not when CFM and Abbey Retail are far more accessible at least from this side of the county.
Passed Geary’s a number of times lately and haven’t see anything going on there.

I really don’t get why some one would go to the uk to buy a fresh second hand machine it would want to be seriously well priced to justify a big investment with absolutely no back up service with the complexity of modern kit there will have to be main dealer interaction at some point and I’m sure he’s going to insert it into ye if you didn’t buy it from him I have recently heard of a case of a guy buying a 1 ish year old NH tractor from a dealer in England and the English dealer telling him there was 3 year warranty with only to be told by the Irish dealer that the warranty doesn’t cross the Irish Sea ! f**k that I think I’d rather buy it so what locally and get some sort of after sales service

In some instances there is a good saving as there is a good trade of ex-hire tractors in the U.K.

As far as warranty is concerned Northern Ireland is part of the U.K. so it does cross the Irish Sea. A good few years back there was a big thing in Britain with people buying cars in Denmark etc as grey imports but European law meant the manufacturer had to honour the warranty throughout Europe so surely tractors are the same. Now if it was an “extended warranty” which in some cases is actually an insurance policy that could be a different story. I imagine there is more to the story and surely the dealer wouldn’t turn down profitable servicing and parts.

I really don’t get why some one would go to the uk to buy a fresh second hand machine it would want to be seriously well priced to justify a big investment with absolutely no back up service with the complexity of modern kit there will have to be main dealer interaction at some point and I’m sure he’s going to insert it into ye if you didn’t buy it from him I have recently heard of a case of a guy buying a 1 ish year old NH tractor from a dealer in England and the English dealer telling him there was 3 year warranty with only to be told by the Irish dealer that the warranty doesn’t cross the Irish Sea ! f**k that I think I’d rather buy it so what locally and get some sort of after sales service
You must be able to come across money easier than some people so , the person traveling across to buy machinery would want to be some bit clued into to what they are looking at. How much warranty would you get on a second hand tractor here ? When you know what you are looking at it’s a no brainer , on the last 3 tractors I have bought over I have saved A lot of money , never mind the fact that the spec of a tractor I was looking for couldn’t be got over here .
On the case with the new holland that really should have been followed further , do you think there’s and Irish warranty department that handles the full warranty claims ,it might start here but it will eventually end up back in basildon. The warranty normally stays with the tractor not the country , for the dealer to say that was a different issue as it wouldn’t cost him anything to fix and he would still be getting his workshop time. How many Irish tractors would have extended warranty? Very few I’d say so then all you would have is the 3 months dealer warranty or whatever extra warranty you can get that in the price .If not covered on warranty The big question to ask is was the saving more than the repair? 9 times out of 10 it will be .

You must be able to come across money easier than some people so , the person traveling across to buy machinery would want to be some bit clued into to what they are looking at. How much warranty would you get on a second hand tractor here ? When you know what you are looking at it’s a no brainer , on the last 3 tractors I have bought over I have saved A lot of money , never mind the fact that the spec of a tractor I was looking for couldn’t be got over here .
On the case with the new holland that really should have been followed further , do you think there’s and Irish warranty department that handles the full warranty claims ,it might start here but it will eventually end up back in basildon. The warranty normally stays with the tractor not the country , for the dealer to say that was a different issue as it wouldn’t cost him anything to fix and he would still be getting his workshop time. How many Irish tractors would have extended warranty? Very few I’d say so then all you would have is the 3 months dealer warranty or whatever extra warranty you can get that in the price .If not covered on warranty The big question to ask is was the saving more than the repair? 9 times out of 10 it will be .
I know a few lads that have bought deeres in the uk and tfm did warranty work on them. They have done work for us too on tractors we have brought in from the uk. Why wouldn't they? They are getting paid.

The trouble is they get paid for the warranty work at a John Deere price and Time for that work which they have to fight for

Correct, if the unit is in base warranty, it has to be serviced, but the UK ‘extended’ warranty is not the same as ireland, prime example is that there is a £120 excess on all jobs in years 2 and 3 in UK. No exess for claims for years 2 and 3 in ROI.

As for many NH tractors with extended warranty, we have had a 1+2 year warranty on T6 and above since 2017. Excluding the ‘S’ models, so probably more than you realise.

Getting back to the original thread title ,
What has happened to the J R Perry site in Athy ?
I suppose it will have houses built on it . A fair portion of the original site went for houses 10 plus years ago .

Getting back to the original thread title ,
What has happened to the J R Perry site in Athy ?
I suppose it will have houses built on it . A fair portion of the original site went for houses 10 plus years ago .

Haulage company in it now afaik

I see a new Massey and loader in the forecourt of JR Perrys this afternoon advertising that Gordon Hegarty and sons are setting up shop on the premises in spring 2021.
Had heard a rumour that they were setting up in the Athy area but at a different location.
It's a very welcome development. The area has badly needed a strong machinery dealer since the demise of Perrys and given Hegartys track record I have no doubt they will do great business.
It'll be great to see what was once the local machinery Mecca rising from the ashes.

Back