Keltic bale shear

Blackwater boy

Do any of ye lads have them or have experience of them? What's the verdict? I've come across one at good value I think and have scrapped the diet feeder idea for now so to speed things up this was my latest brainwave

I've a tanco since 09 one of the first tanco's, good strong machine, once you get the hang of it it's very easy to use. Doesn't always hold the net, maybe 1 in 10 it leaves some net behind, but I can just catch the bit that's left with one of the prongs, so no bother really. I thought the keltic was a nice bit heavier than the tanco, a neighbour has a cashel looks good, better method for holding net, never miss's. Looks to be a bit lighter than the tanco, anyway I'm happy with mine, I've split about 10k bales with it.

Uncle has the keltec.
Very happy with it. What he saw vs the tanco was that it holds the net and wrap at the top. So doesnt need to drop the bale from a big height.

What's it going onto they are quite heavy alright but have a super way of splitting the bale. I suppose price has to come into it as well.

I have one and find it excellent, you need around 120hp to carry it though as it's the heaviest of the bale splitters. They'e around 3k plus vat new, the top bars obstruct view a bit but it' structurally very well built and does a great job. Without it and the straw blower I'd feel like I was back in the stone age wintering cattle such is the step forward they take you.
MF30

I have one and find it excellent, you need around 120hp to carry it though as it's the heaviest of the bale splitters. They'e around 3k plus vat new, the top bars obstruct view a bit but it' structurally very well built and does a great job. Without it and the straw blower I'd feel like I was back in the stone age wintering cattle such is the step forward they take you.
MF30
3k for the Keltic or the tanco? I read somewhere the Keltic is around 70kgs heavier but the weight is not an issue as we have an artic steer telescopic loader

3k plus vat is about right for a keltec.
I bought one 12mths ago for filling bales in to the feeder.
It works well but you do need a decent size tractor.its heavy and it places the bale far away while splitting.
An artic loader will be nice
If working in a low shed they might not be ideal though

3k plus vat is about right for a keltec.
I bought one 12mths ago for filling bales in to the feeder.
It works well but you do need a decent size tractor.its heavy and it places the bale far away while splitting.
An artic loader will be nice
If working in a low shed they might not be ideal though
When say low, how many feet between floor and roof would you need roughly?

When say low, how many feet between floor and roof would you need roughly?
The roof over my feed barriers are 14 ft at the lowest point, but I wouldn't like it any lower as you need to rise the loader quite high to shake the net clear of the bale.
MF30

I don't have a figure but I know it was a problem for a local man who bought one.
He swapped it for a downward cutting one after. The keltec is the best for filling a feeder but otherwise I'm not sure they have any advantage

I don't have a figure but I know it was a problem for a local man who bought one.
He swapped it for a downward cutting one after. The keltec is the best for filling a feeder but otherwise I'm not sure they have any advantage
They look heavier built than some of the others

My uncle has a McHale rs4, it's a grand job takes a bit of getting used to using it. Once again takes a lot of room as the blade sitting up makes it very high and it needs to be high off the ground as it cut downwards. Takes a bit of shaking too to get the bales to fall apart. The way the 2 halves fall to each side though is really handy when filling a centre passage fed to both sides

Back