Kidd double chop harvester

Supertwo

Looking to buy a 6 ft. model as a winter project. Are parts still available for these?
Would an 885xl be man enough to drive it?
Thanks.

Neighbour used to hammer the living daylights out of a Ford 4000 on one .Iwouldnt be worried about an 885s ability on one. Interesting project ,keep us posted.

Looking to buy a 6 ft. model as a winter project. Are parts still available for these?
Would an 885xl be man enough to drive it?
Thanks.
had a new holland badged version of a kidd double chop up to 5 yrs ago, parts were getting hard to find at that stage and belly bands couldn,t be got new but plenty of lads were able to reline them with hardox, old stock and s/h would be all thats available i,d say but if its for play purposes you should be able to gather up anything you need, i,ve a few bits here somewhere if you,re stuck let me know

6ft Would Be rare I think, most were 5fts, I Don't think I've seen a 6ft one In the flesh.

A few NH 6fts around alright, My neighbour has one here.

It would be a 5 foot one I ,d be thinking about here he would cut with the auger door open in the morning then lift in the afternoon.

A 6 ft would be rarer than rocking horse shite , in any make. I haven't seen a double chop "working " in years. A neighbour bought a very tidy Kidd 346 , and half scrapped it , to cut rushes .:cry:. There's a Taarup 1500 half a mile from here in a shed but I think it got a dose of metal indigestion on its last outing 20 odd years ago.

A 6 ft would be rarer than rocking horse shite , in any make. I haven't seen a double chop "working " in years. A neighbour bought a very tidy Kidd 346 , and half scrapped it , to cut rushes .:cry:. There's a Taarup 1500 half a mile from here in a shed but I think it got a dose of metal indigestion on its last outing 20 odd years ago.
The only 6ft double chop I ever saw was a New Holland and that extra foot of flails took some driving, Taarup made a harvester which I think was called a Fine Chop with a 6ft flail cut and a multi knife chopper at the end of the auger which was turned at 90 degrees to that of a double chop, Kidd double chop with a spud man near me that has the spout removed and the auger left open for flailing off stalks.

A New Holland 339 was 5ft cut and the 342 was 6ft,I don’t think Kidd ever made a 6ft if they did I’ve never seen one.

had a new holland badged version of a kidd double chop up to 5 yrs ago, parts were getting hard to find at that stage and belly bands couldn,t be got new but plenty of lads were able to reline them with hardox, old stock and s/h would be all thats available i,d say but if its for play purposes you should be able to gather up anything you need, i,ve a few bits here somewhere if you,re stuck let me know
Thanks for the offer. Hopefully it won't need too many parts it looks like it hasnt done a big pile of work. Might try and get it home during the week.

6ft Would Be rare I think, most were 5fts, I Don't think I've seen a 6ft one In the flesh.

A few NH 6fts around alright, My neighbour has one here.
The fella who told me about it reckons there was only ever 3 sold in Ireland.

Have a mint 346 in the shed at home, can’t convince the owner to sell it though, think we’ve had it since new, used be driven by a 7600, 7700 then the 8210 for its last few years.

Either 84 or 85 we bought a tarrup double chop to do 2nd cut,pulled it with uncles 7600 while we drew in with a our 5000 and buckraked with the 674,memories were wet silage and a lad sitting on the 5000 bonnet to keep the front end down while trying to pull up our gravel track.:no:

We never used it again other than topping with the door open,scrapped it early 90s and put the gearbox on our slurry pump.

The only 6ft double chop I ever saw was a New Holland and that extra foot of flails took some driving, Taarup made a harvester which I think was called a Fine Chop with a 6ft flail cut and a multi knife chopper at the end of the auger which was turned at 90 degrees to that of a double chop, Kidd double chop with a spud man near me that has the spout removed and the auger left open for flailing off stalks.
We did the same with a NH 33 not the safest thing to be working with 10 or 12 pickers in the field I was normally on the bags came into the yard with a load and stopped to speak to a mate when a stone the size of a golf ball bounced off the hay shed roof and landed at our feet , it would be fully 200 yds to field boundary .If that had hit one of squad.........

A New Holland 339 was 5ft cut and the 342 was 6ft,I don’t think Kidd ever made a 6ft if they did I’ve never seen one.
the 342 was a kidd harvester made for new holland when they gave up producing the 339 , the new holland version was exactly the same except the outer cover over the flails was square whereas the kidd was rounded, 341 was 5 ft, 342 6ft but they were kidd 346 harvesters in reality

the 342 was a kidd harvester made for new holland when they gave up producing the 339 , the new holland version was exactly the same except the outer cover over the flails was square whereas the kidd was rounded, 341 was 5 ft, 342 6ft but they were kidd 346 harvesters in reality
So a manual for a nh 342 will cover the set up for my kidd?

the 339 and the 342 were new holland machines ,the 341 and the 343 were the kidd built ones ,i think new holland stopped building their own ones in 1990

Were the NH 339 and 342 similar apart from the obvious colour change to all yellow, the 339 used threaded adjusters to set the knife clearance whereas the Kidd double chop used shims, they ran into problems when the once made a batch of warped flywheels as they had more shims on one side than the other and vibrated. there isn't much to a double chop that you couldn't figure out even without a manual.

Were the NH 339 and 342 similar apart from the obvious colour change to all yellow, the 339 used threaded adjusters to set the knife clearance whereas the Kidd double chop used shims, they ran into problems when the once made a batch of warped flywheels as they had more shims on one side than the other and vibrated. there isn't much to a double chop that you couldn't figure out even without a manual.
the later kidds didn,t use shims , the blower plates and knives could be moved in and out by loosening the bolts holding them on and resetting them before tightening them up again

Back