Kuhn mower

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by agreid, May 17, 2019.

1. agreid

agreid Well-Known Member

Has any body ever rebuilt a conditioner shaft ? the bearing behind the drive pully failed ,and I failed to notice it .The shaft is badly worn .Is it possible to cut out and replace just the one end or is a whole thing replacement ?

2. jf 850

jf 850 Well-Known Member

@diesel power or @leahyfarms will probably know.

3. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

How bad is it?. If it's very badly worn then it's a replacement conditioner. To cut your own one and weld in a new shaft would be very difficult to get right on alignment and balance.

4. agreid

agreid Well-Known Member

About 1.5 mm s 3 mm of slop .

5. jf 850

jf 850 Well-Known Member

You might be lucky to get a conditioner from Ian Acheson ? Or find a mower in a hedge whose bed met a sad end .:weld:

agreid likes this.
  6. Bog Man

Bog Man Well-Known Member

I have welded worn shafts and ground them down. Put welds at 90 degrees and slide on a bearing to use as a template and grind down until it fits . You will have four welds . When it fits weld in four more and grind . Stay doing this until it is built up. If it did not go into orbit with a bearing gone a small bit of artistic interpitation building up a shaft is going to do no harm .

7. aidank

aidank Well-Known Member

a man I know did that with a tullow harverster 25years ago on the main shaft and it lasted 3hrs and the main shaft failed catestrophically, I think the shaft got a tiny bend due to the welding and that was that...

When I was doing my masters in university I had this problem with a 50mm shaft. Thi was a 50mm shaft with a 15kg turbine spinning on the end of it,@ 2000rpm however it was only transmitting 3kw of power. We cut off the damaged part of the shaft, then we drilled a 16mm hole in the good part ~100mm deep using the lathe.

Then we machined a round bar in the lathe to 15.99mm to fit into the hole 200mm long.

Then we drilled a hole 100mm deep using the lathe in a new piece of 60mm diameter steel - this piece was the replacement part for the damaged part of the shaft. Then we assembled the whole lot, and welded the whole lot in place.

Post welding back into the lathe and machined the 60mm piece down to 50mm - it was the only way we could see of repairing such that it would run in a true circle.

I had a torque transducer on the other end measuring the torque the turbine was producing.

Yes it worked I didn't see any peaks and valleys in the torque transducer, however it was only transmitting 3kw.

Bog Man likes this.
  8. Mid cork

Mid cork Well-Known Member

I did that on the stripper shaft behind the drum on a New Holland combine once, it lasted about an hour.Took me about four hours to weld and grind it.

Ptk44 and Bog Man like this.
  9. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

I've gotten damaged shafts built up and taken down on a lathe

agreid likes this.