KV ES 85

They had a seven-furrow, semi-mounted Lemken at home at it was rated very highly. Much better break back system than the Kverneland it replaces with the wearing lasting longer but did cost more
My issues with the Lemken were the way the point is bolted on is an arse of an idea, way too many bolts, the adjusters on the boards breaking off, the land wheel dept adjustment. Metal does wear well alright.

Fair enough, I know where you are coming from. I reckon an ES would be a good dealer easier to lift than your Lemken though.
Our EG is a 4+1, although I've never had it back to 4 furrow, but once you have a decent headstock to start with I don't think you'll have any bother . Most ES's will have a 200 headstock which should be fine as either a 4 or 5 furrow unless you have very tough ground.
I might put it on my friends 5f ES85 200 for a day to see if it’s easier manage, I’m only ploughing 250acres so don’t need crazy output.

have a lemken jewel 8 here 5f pull it with a 718 but need 1200 kg weight on the front.great plough to bury trash but expensive too run.looking to add an es 85 for the autumn

That’s a John Deere 6600 with a five furrow auto-reset with a full set of disc. If you are ploughing arable ground you should be fine with most six cylinder tractors

View attachment 68679 View attachment 68680

Looks like an es 80. They are a bit shorter than an 85. I'd say it would be on it's knees with that plough because I tried one on a John deere 6900 and she was all out to lift it. Pulled it like a train though..
I need to upgrade the plough but only one of the 4 tractors I have would be suitable on a 5f, next year I’d hopefully have another bigger tractor that would also be able for a 5f but at the moment a 4f would suit any of the 4 tractors. So my thinking is buy a 5f now and use it as a 4f rather than having to change the plough again in a years time, a Kuhn vari master 123 would be the alternative and that is 4+1 as standard.

Have you tried the kuhn ploughs? I all ways thought they looked a fine plough. Any of the lads around here got demos but they all stayed with kverneland. More saleable plough second hand maybe? The kuhn would definatly be easier to bolt on and off when you wouldn't be taking on and off the depth wheel

Looks like an es 80. They are a bit shorter than an 85. I'd say it would be on it's knees with that plough because I tried one on a John deere 6900 and she was all out to lift it. Pulled it like a train though..

Have you tried the kuhn ploughs? I all ways thought they looked a fine plough. Any of the lads around here got demos but they all stayed with kverneland. More saleable plough second hand maybe? The kuhn would definatly be easier to bolt on and off when you wouldn't be taking on and off the depth wheel
I gave two years in France ploughing with a semi mounted 7 furrow, I was hugely impressed by it, excellent to bury trash, wearing metal was good, they had a 9f wagon plough and a 5f mounted both Kuhns too, I never used either of them. Resale value and availability of parts puts Kverneland out in front in Ireland though.

That 6600 might be a 6900 in disguise if you get my drift :whistle: Was a plough my brother borrowed just to get a couple of stubble fields turned over so no idea what model it was.

I reckon a kuhn is a great plough there's one here and does great work looks very strong.
Have an English man using the plough for me this year he's in his 70s suits me not to be tied up at it.
Says he never ploughed as much stones until he moved to kerry

That’s a nice straight looking plough, availability of parts, resale value and the fact that a Kverneland does nice ploughing mean a straight one is never a bad buy.
What’s with the trash board?

That’s a nice straight looking plough, availability of parts, resale value and the fact that a Kverneland does nice ploughing mean a straight one is never a bad buy.
What’s with the trash board?
Ya nail on the head as an overall plough they probably win because of those three reasons. Eagle eyed, you wouldn't get away with much with you around :laugh: The guy who had it tried one trash board to see if they would help bury trash better, I told them to leave it on as I had a full set on the 4F that I traded, I'll see if I'll leave on the skimmers on go back to trash boards after the autumn ploughing is done.

Lovely plough, well wear. I have No 28 boards and they do good work. Do you find the front weight is heavy enough? Looks tidy.
Ya they seem to do a nice job especially with the bigger tyres, it's plenty heavy on that tractor anyway if anything it's probably a bit overkill

Bought the same plough earlier this year. Had a lemken and kuhn out on trial before we purchased and the KV was definitely the easiest to pull and did the most level/best ploughing.
Well wear!!
Thanks, I would have been tempted by the Kuhn, really liked the one I used but it was too hard to look past the KV, I would convert the farm to Dairy before I'd buy a Lemken plough :tt2:

Thanks, I would have been tempted by the Kuhn, really liked the one I used but it was too hard to look past the KV, I would convert the farm to Dairy before I'd buy a Lemken plough :tt2:
Never used a Lemken, are they really that bad?

The lemken was a serious machine to bury trash. The field I used it in had chopped straw and fym spread on it and didn't leave a trace of either. Very heavy though and parts are pricey.

Never used a Lemken, are they really that bad?
After the 5 years I spent using one I think so, there's so many bolts holding it together that once it starts wearing bits just start falling off, the design of the share also really annoyed me.

The lemken was a serious machine to bury trash. The field I used it in had chopped straw and fym spread on it and didn't leave a trace of either. Very heavy though and parts are pricey.
The Kuhn was unbelievable to bury trash, you would have a fair job to block it, if that was more of a priority for me it would have made it a harder decision.

Ya nail on the head as an overall plough they probably win because of those three reasons. Eagle eyed, you wouldn't get away with much with you around :laugh: The guy who had it tried one trash board to see if they would help bury trash better, I told them to leave it on as I had a full set on the 4F that I traded, I'll see if I'll leave on the skimmers on go back to trash boards after the autumn ploughing is done.

I’d be interested to see how the trash boards work, it’s that long ago since we had them I can’t remember, probably on no.3’s.
Trash boards would be an option for @highlander in the tough conditions he is dealing with.

I’d be interested to see how the trash boards work, it’s that long ago since we had them I can’t remember, probably on no.3’s.
Trash boards would be an option for @highlander in the tough conditions he is dealing with.
It’s a good while ago now but the 3sod we used to have had them on it and they did a fairly decent job if I remember rightly

Back