Land drainage

trenchers + Rock = £££££££££££££££££ believe me we have been draining land since 1962.
couple of pics of trenchless machines taken on a recent trip to US if anyone is interested.
do they rip, vibrate or cut the ground?

a combination of ripping and lifting the soil, for deep drains pre-ripping is necessary to allow the soil to heave and not to compact the trench walls

a combination of ripping and lifting the soil, for deep drains pre-ripping is necessary to allow the soil to heave and not to compact the trench walls
ah yes, good point.

just had a gander through your website, must say, ye do fine work, some good vids too.:thumbup1:

Anyone ever used on of these gizmo's?
Have herd a lot of talk about draining recently, both here and elswhere, might be worth a punt! Would still need the backup of a digger round here with some of our bigger stones, but could be worthwhile. Not sure what price range it would be mind!

Also how hard is it to fit a creeper box in a JD 6610!?

Anyone ever used on of these gizmo's?
Have herd a lot of talk about draining recently, both here and elswhere, might be worth a punt! Would still need the backup of a digger round here with some of our bigger stones, but could be worthwhile. Not sure what price range it would be mind!

Also how hard is it to fit a creeper box in a JD 6610!?

Should there be a link included here?

As for the creeper box in the JD, as far as I know it's not a huge job. Tilt the cab over and slot it in between the chassis rails.

Hi. Anyone know of where it is possible to hire any of the following. 1, Chain Trencher attachment for an excavator. 2, Trenching Fang attachment. 3, Ride on trencher such as a Ditch Witch or similar.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Was looking at a big wet patch in a 16 ac field we have. Its in a bit of a bowl so hard to drain.

We did put a drain into it some years ago. Seriously long drain that goes through a neighbours farm (council holding) and back over another of our fields to a ditch.
It has become very apparent that the drain hasn't worked!
Re doing the drain through next door is by now a much harder thing to think about doing (politics)
Next and only other option would be fairly short. But the land rises a couple of meters and we don't know how much depth there is before solid rock.
Apart from test holes. Is there another way of detecting what's down there?
Father had been watching time team. And they had some form of ultrasound scanner that detected structures under ground.
Anyone ever seen such a machine in use?
Would it go deep enough?

Was looking at a big wet patch in a 16 ac field we have. Its in a bit of a bowl so hard to drain.

We did put a drain into it some years ago. Seriously long drain that goes through a neighbours farm (council holding) and back over another of our fields to a ditch.
It has become very apparent that the drain hasn't worked!
Re doing the drain through next door is by now a much harder thing to think about doing (politics)
Next and only other option would be fairly short. But the land rises a couple of meters and we don't know how much depth there is before solid rock.
Apart from test holes. Is there another way of detecting what's down there?
Father had been watching time team. And they had some form of ultrasound scanner that detected structures under ground.
Anyone ever seen such a machine in use?
Would it go deep enough?
Would the old drain just need cleaning or do you think it has collapsed.
I suppose did it ever drain off the water fully in the first place really is the first question.

what size is it? is it in tillage? is the problem structure and infiltration ? i know of a few people who had this kind of problem and horsed on dung manure organic matter

Never really worked. The patch never dried properly. Its 4inch corrugated pipe with clean stone on top.
We blamed capping for a while and sub soiled it.
Then blamed the sub soiler for wrecking the drain so re did a bit of it. Pipe seemed clear then. My guess is that there's a hump somewhere in the trench. I recall dad in the trench with a 4ft level which might explain a lot.

Tbh. We should jet it first. Have been pondering about hiring one in. Could do a few bits with it.

what size is it? is it in tillage? is the problem structure and infiltration ? i know of a few people who had this kind of problem and horsed on dung manure organic matter

How did that turn out Marco?

I'd be trying jetting first AYF if There's one local to you.

Reactions: AYF
Starting a big drainage job, first job is to check levels. At the worst point it is exactly level 150 metres from the outlet and only 150mm of a fall over 200 metres, the fall is good from there on in both directions. The digger driver is around 70 so maps have to be in inches.
20191106_160732.jpg 20191106_160641.jpg

Starting a big drainage job, first job is to check levels. At the worst point it is exactly level 150 metres from the outlet and only 150mm of a fall over 200 metres, the fall is good from there on in both directions. The digger driver is around 70 so maps have to be in inches.
View attachment 71434 View attachment 71435
Not much room there for error! If the drain with no fall is going to be laid level which it probably has to I'd be inclined to use the twin wall JFC pipe which is smooth inside but has corrugations outside and holes/slots on top for drainage. These shouldn't silt up where as the yellow land drainage might. In an ideal world where cost doesn't matter of course!
I fix my laser level reciever to the digger boom and this helps where dead level trenches are important.

Not much room there for error! If the drain with no fall is going to be laid level which it probably has to I'd be inclined to use the twin wall JFC pipe which is smooth inside but has corrugations outside and holes/slots on top for drainage. These shouldn't silt up where as the yellow land drainage might. In an ideal world where cost doesn't matter of course!
I fix my laser level reciever to the digger boom and this helps where dead level trenches are important.
The main drain has about 300mm of fall over the first 125 meters, but the spur drain has a negative fall and looses all that 300mm in about 25 meters, but both drains have a nice fall after that. The plan is to use 300mm twin wall pipes in the main drain to take water from the main road, and 150mm twin wall on the first 50/60 meters of the spur drain.
We will be using the laser level on the digger boom and setting it up for 1 in 500 fall and just run the spur drain a bit shallow through the low spot.

What's the big sump for gone? Is this partly to take surface water from the road?

Carlow stone :Whistle2::Thumbp2:

Try to finish up a few bits that I would be embarrassed to say when the were started.
Bridge's over drains called Keshe's around here
Stones gathered up around the farm and recycled blocks.
3 way junction. 9" and an open drain feeding into a 12"concrete pipe
20191212_094339.jpg 20191212_094350.jpg 20191212_094630.jpg this drain was deep, about 10' below the surface. 18"concrete pipe
20191212_094816.jpg 20191212_094721.jpg

Last edited:
Your subsoil is dry,we haven’t seen it like that since June 18.
Look at the 3rd pic, springs are up, the water was boiling out of the sand the 6" twin wall wasn't able to take it away, sides kept falling in.
In general the ground was drier than I thought it would be, we drove the stoning cart across the peat bog many times. A lot of springs and blocked drains caught so hopefully it should improve things drastically. The lowest parts of the grass field use to be a lake, 4 generations have made attempts to improve it, each of the last 3 have improved it massively so hopefully I will as well.

Look at the 3rd pic, springs are up, the water was boiling out of the sand the 6" twin wall wasn't able to take it away, sides kept falling in.
In general the ground was drier than I thought it would be, we drove the stoning cart across the peat bog many times. A lot of springs and blocked drains caught so hopefully it should improve things drastically. The lowest parts of the grass field use to be a lake, 4 generations have made attempts to improve it, each of the last 3 have improved it massively so hopefully I will as well.

Yes I can see there’s a huge amount of water but your atmosphere must drier than here because your subsoil is drying,here it’s just mud mud mud.:sad:

I’d say you’ll boss it with all that stone on the drains.:Thumbp2:

Back