Laptop banjaxed

G

guest 1

Just died. No warning, no symptoms of being ill, no suicide note, nothing. Any suggestions? It is/was a Toshiba something or other, about 6 years old

Just died. No warning, no symptoms of being ill, no suicide note, nothing. Any suggestions? It is/was a Toshiba something or other, about 6 years old

Had a Toshiba, worst piece of shite ever and it died one night when I literally put my fist out through the back of it:D:D. Best thing I did as I went and bought the cheepo yoke I'm on now a COMPAQ laptop 3 or 4 years ago and it's been flawless. Looking those dirty ole websites were ya?:whistle: when it got the clap:D

Never had a problem with it until now. I suppose being left on for 6 years non-stop wouldn't be helpful either. On an antique Dell desktop I dragged out from under the stairs now.Found some interesting old pics on it already :thumbup:

What exactly is it doing? Does it turn on at all?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

What exactly is it doing? Does it turn on at all?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Just went dead all of a sudden, and not a peep out of it since. A hardware problem to be sure, battery perhaps?

I founds between work pleasure etc laptop are expendiable items nowadays like a telly has a few yrs then costs more to fix.
pull the hard drive out of it and it will keep anything u saved on it photos etc nad there is a thingy I forgety wat it is but u can get everything on a new computer using your old hard drive as an external hard drive.

a USB hard drive enclosure they're called.

What's your replacement budget?

For quality it's hard to beat Dell's mainline business laptops http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/latitude-laptops?ref=latitude_category_view_more

They aint cheap, they aint sexy, but they're damm good quality, we use them at work they generally get retired when they cant be upgraded anymore or when someone drops them from too high up, otherwise they're pretty great quality wise.

Just went dead all of a sudden, and not a peep out of it since. A hardware problem to be sure, battery perhaps?

She will run on mains power either way. Battery could be done and mains transformer stopped working, fiddle around with the plug and see if that helps.

Back in action tonight, very strange, I'll put the important stuff on the external hard drive and start looking for the replacement I think

Three Toshiba`s here. One is 6 or 7 yrs old. Never had any bother with any of them.:thumbup:
Must be the sites ye are looking at:fighting:
Use external backup all the time, and then back up your important stuff again

Three Toshiba`s here. One is 6 or 7 yrs old. Never had any bother with any of them.:thumbup:
Must be the sites ye are looking at:fighting:
Use external backup all the time, and then back up your important stuff again

As I said this one is about 6 years old and never gave any trouble before. Was just wondering, would it be possible to turbo-charge the desktop to bring it up to modern standards? I think I bought it around '03, it's a Dell something or other :rolleyes:
The laptop rarely moves from the same spot, the desktop would work fine for what I want it for.

As I said this one is about 6 years old and never gave any trouble before. Was just wondering, would it be possible to turbo-charge the desktop to bring it up to modern standards? I think I bought it around '03, it's a Dell something or other :rolleyes:
The laptop rarely moves from the same spot, the desktop would work fine for what I want it for.

It is to a point, I'd start with doing a clean install of windows though. It should improve things a massive amount.

Do you know the model of the desktop?

You could stick more ram in be cheap enough u would probably want a bigger hard drive then u need a bigger processor. But if u want to just use for internet I'd stick the ram in would be grand.

It is to a point, I'd start with doing a clean install of windows though. It should improve things a massive amount.

Do you know the model of the desktop?

It's a Dimension 8300 I think

You could stick more ram in be cheap enough u would probably want a bigger hard drive then u need a bigger processor. But if u want to just use for internet I'd stick the ram in would be grand.

Internet, paperwork, listening to music now and again. Nothing too strenuous, no games or movies online or anything like that

It's a Dimension 8300 I think

Internet, paperwork, listening to music now and again. Nothing too strenuous, no games or movies online or anything like that

If ya order the ram next time ur in denbys I'll stick it in for ya

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If ya order the ram next time ur in denbys I'll stick it in for ya

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hey nick its only a computer.... I doubt tc will need a ram to move it :p :p :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back