Leaking Plastic tank

nashmach

We've got an older Carberry 300gl ex diesel tank that we use for harvesting rainwater.

We've noticed that it is now leaking on one of the vertical uprights and similarly on the other side.

Can we just try Gripfill or something similar when it's emptied again and see if it works or does anyone have any other remedies?

Thanks in advance.

I'm surprised you have any rainwater in it to leak out !!!!!! , I had a similar tank for the heating oil that leaked the same way, just replaced it as due to the nature of the contents any repair would only be temporary, I think once plastic tanks get to that stage they cannot cope with the flexing that occurs between full and empty

I think rubbing a bar of soap to the crack might also stop the leak!!!
That was all that was done to a diesel tank here and it worked

What about that resin stuff that comes in 2 tubes joined together?. I've used it with great success on cracked plastic side tanks on those crappy modern radiators. If it can stick 82c and system pressure it would surely mend a water tank.

We've got an older Carberry 300gl ex diesel tank that we use for harvesting rainwater.

We've noticed that it is now leaking on one of the vertical uprights and similarly on the other side.

Can we just try Gripfill or something similar when it's emptied again and see if it works or does anyone have any other remedies?

Thanks in advance.
Carbery tanks all failed in the same place; oil man here checked ours and said he wouldn't fill it next time if we didn't replace it.
Get a few IBC tanks for €50 each and it'll be a better job in my opinion.
MF30

Soap wont work as the water will soften it, now diesel causes the soap to harden stopping the leak.
I go with Tech 7 or similar........................................................

I'd go with tech 7 too. I have tried resin for a similar job and found that it sets hard and isn't flexible like the plastic that I was trying to seal. It worked for a while but dripped again. A friend works for tech 7 and he got me a sample tube of sealer and it has been there for 3 years now on a water tank.

Thanks folks, will give the Tec7 a try. It's over 25 years old so I doubt Carberry would be interested in it.

It's only used for water and is at ground level so no danger to anything but still useful nonetheless for what it's doing rather than just confining it to the scrap heap!

Thanks folks, will give the Tec7 a try. It's over 25 years old so I doubt Carberry would be interested in it.

It's only used for water and is at ground level so no danger to anything but still useful nonetheless for what it's doing rather than just confining it to the scrap heap!

Prize the cracks open with screwdriver if you can (while open leave to dry for a day maybe) and get the tec 7 right in there. As well as sealing it, it will also bond it together

Carbery tanks all failed in the same place; oil man here checked ours and said he wouldn't fill it next time if we didn't replace it.
Get a few IBC tanks for €50 each and it'll be a better job in my opinion.
MF30

Paint the ibc’s black to stop algea growing

Back