Leyland tractors

There was a Wexford Ford 7610 that used to draw beet and its Reg was 7610 ZR .

I know we are going off topic but an interesting article in this weeks local paper.

It's now thirty years since the current registration plate system was introduced as 1987 brought in 87 WX or 87 CW etc.

I know we are going off topic but an interesting article in this weeks local paper.

It's now thirty years since the current registration plate system was introduced as 1987 brought in 87 WX or 87 CW etc.
Frightening. I remember it well :sad2:

So do I.
I still don't like it or the new type plate showing the country, the northern yellow plates still look much better, it was a coup for the motor industry at the time, as was this 131, 132 registration.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/leyland-272/14322899

Exceptionally original 272 here.

Given its a synchro I would have thought it should have a fully enclosed cab though as I thought Synchro versions were post 1976.
Very clean indeed apart from the left rear mudguard. That cab was used until 1977-1978 when the synchro came in '78 with gearsticks between your legs. Then in '79 the proper synchro with gearsticks either side of the driver as shown in advert was launched but the full Q cab had been out a year at that stage. Also the tractor in advert has power assisted steering which was normal for that cab but not a side shift synchro. Maybe this was made from leftovers when the factory closed! I've seen one or two heavily modified somewhere....
MF30

Looking to sell our 1973 Leyland 253 as we've upgraded so it needs to find a new home.

It's got a perfect engine & it's easy to start. Mechanically sound but the brakes need attention. Brown tax book.

Not sure how much to look for, they seem to be very rare so perhaps it's worth a few € € € ?
Anyone got any advice on what it might be worth, I've included a few pics to help.

01 DSC_6081.jpg
02 DSC_6060.jpg
03 DSC_6067.jpg 04 DSC_6074.jpg 05 DSC_6084.jpg 06 DSC_6091.jpg 07 DSC_6099.jpg

Looking to sell our 1973 Leyland 253 as we've upgraded so it needs to find a new home.

It's got a perfect engine & it's easy to start. Mechanically sound but the brakes need attention. Brown tax book.

Not sure how much to look for, they seem to be very rare so perhaps it's worth a few € € € ?
Anyone got any advice on what it might be worth, I've included a few pics to help.

View attachment 42617
View attachment 42618
View attachment 42619 View attachment 42620 View attachment 42621 View attachment 42622 View attachment 42623
Where abouts are you based alfie?
Have a 253 myself,old man bought it new in 73.
You say brakes need attention,that was the downfall of the leyland,they were sort of on or off.
Have ye it from new?

Last edited:
I'm in west Cork.
Yes they've always had a bit of a reputation for the brakes.
I think my Dad is the 2nd registered owner & has it for about 25 years.

Hi Alfie, that's a clean example but I think it would sell better if you remove the cab first! That cab does nothing for it...
It had the same engine as a MF135, an AD3.152 Perkins. My guess at value around €2500?
The brakes were the Achilles heel of them; I retrofitted wet brakes onto one here-transformed it completely.
MF30

Hi Alfie, that's a clean example but I think it would sell better if you remove the cab first! That cab does nothing for it...
It had the same engine as a MF135, an AD3.152 Perkins. My guess at value around €2500?
The brakes were the Achilles heel of them; I retrofitted wet brakes onto one here-transformed it completely.
MF30
The engine went bang in the 135 at home about 20 years ago and it was replaced with an engine from a 253 which unfortunately only lasted about 2 days. The original engine was rebuilt and refitted and is still going strong.

We rung off the Half shaft on the JCB 3D when one of the brakes locked . Sometimes you have to reverse to get them to unlock . Would there be much involved in converting them to wet brakes ? actually dont answer that question .

We rung off the Half shaft on the JCB 3D when one of the brakes locked . Sometimes you have to reverse to get them to unlock . Would there be much involved in converting them to wet brakes ? actually dont answer that question .
Yes, a lot of work involved! Basically replace or machine down trumpet housings to accept Marshall wet brake assemblies and then install an internal pump to lubricate brakes. I used a donor scrap Marshall for parts.
But resulting in very powerful trouble free brakes!
MF30

Yes, a lot of work involved! Basically replace or machine down trumpet housings to accept Marshall wet brake assemblies and then install an internal pump to lubricate brakes. I used a donor scrap Marshall for parts.
But resulting in very powerful trouble free brakes!
MF30
Is it a marchall 502 housings that you used?heard of it done but never seen it done.be an ideal job.

Given its condition and rarity, I thought it would be worth more than €2500, but maybe there arent enough Leyland fans out there.
Those pics are Classic Tractor (@Rorsday ) territory!
Alfie, if its in your family for that long, I think you would regret selling it at that money!

Last edited:
Is it a marchall 502 housings that you used?heard of it done but never seen it done.be an ideal job.
Any of the middleweight Marshalls will do, 502 up to the 802. I used a 702, did a lot of mods when I was at it. Fitted twin hyd pumps up front and 1000 pto in the back. Also used Marshalls pick up hitch which is a lot safer than Leylands version.
MF30

Any of the middleweight Marshalls will do, 502 up to the 802. I used a 702, did a lot of mods when I was at it. Fitted twin hyd pumps up front and 1000 pto in the back. Also used Marshalls pick up hitch which is a lot safer than Leylands version.
MF30

u made a 702 with a rattle cab. i can see the benefits of it with the ten speed box but a feed from the external oil filter at the rear being returned into the brake would have been enough oil to keep them right.

u made a 702 with a rattle cab. i can see the benefits of it with the ten speed box but a feed from the external oil filter at the rear being returned into the brake would have been enough oil to keep them right.
No it was a 272 Synchro with a Q cab that I converted. Lethally fast on the road, dry brakes would give you no confidence approaching a junction!
MF30

Given its condition and rarity, I thought it would be worth more than €2500, but maybe there arent enough Leyland fans out there.
Those pics are Classic Tractor (@Rorsday ) territory!
Alfie, if its in your family for that long, I think you would regret selling it at that money!

Yeah we were hoping it is worth a bit more due to it's rarity.
Not sure whether to advertise for big money (can be reduced later if there are no calls) or advertise it without a price ? It'll probably go on DoneDeal in the vintage section.

we had a 272 syncro wouldnt have said it was that fast on the road, well the 10 speed one was faster.

Not sure whether to advertise for big money (can be reduced later if there are no calls) or advertise it without a price ? It'll probably go on DoneDeal in the vintage section.
If I were you I'd put a price on; most people ignore an ad with no price, this also weeds out some time wasters.
MF30

we had a 272 syncro wouldnt have said it was that fast on the road, well the 10 speed one was faster.
Had a 10 speed also which we converted to synchro, providing the bull gears and pinion shafts are changed at the same time the top speed is identical. 25 mph plus is achievable.
MF30

Definitely put a price on it. You could be plagued with timewasters otherwise or the lonely hearts....

This man Knows 97% of what needs to be known about Leylands .
20160320_093643.jpg

20160320_093655.jpg
Bog man . could you point me to that man. Doing one up

Back