Loader Issue

dmcsweeney

Hi all,

I have an '86 6610 force 2 fitted with a ford power loader on quick attach brackets. I'm good with engines, electrics etc but not great with hydraulics. The loader was transferred off our old 5000 years ago. It ran off a seperate valve chest on the 5000, but runs off the spools on the 6610. If I try lowering the loader slowly the entire tractor shakes. In addition, as I lower it puts pressure on the pump and pulls the revs down. It'll sometimes stall the engine. I've tried slowing the flow and it makes it worse. In addition, the forks begin to tilt forward under heavy loads as though it's bleeding off. If I tilt the forks forward or back to the limit and release the lever it also strains unless I nudge the lever the opposite way again. A neighbour figures that the seals could be shot in the valves at the tractor was run on constant pumping driving a log splitter. Raising the lift to the top also puts the engine under strain. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave

Sounds to me like the loader is only power up and as you lower in the 6610 you have a dual action spool when you are dead ending the hydraulics best bet is to find a spool block with a single action for the lift and dual action for the tip/crowd and 3rd service

or do the obvious thing and run the unused valve chest pipes to the back end return.
edit sorry, i got mixed up.

Last edited:
The spool might have a dial for changing from one way/two way
Not normally an option on Fords that I've ever seen.For single acting down,you just push the lever further forward into float.Probably not handy to lower slowly being this way.Other thing to do is fit a return hose to the back end,from the D/A spool port that's paired with the lift one.That'll allow the loader to drop smoothly even in the D/A lower position.(What Matbro said,I think.)
When you lift the linkage arms to the top,the pump relief valve should blow........Have the pick up hitch rods been shortened too much?

Thanks for the information. It was power down on the 5000 as it could lift the front end off the ground whereas it won't on the 6610.

Not normally an option on Fords that I've ever seen.For single acting down,you just push the lever further forward into float.Probably not handy to lower slowly being this way.Other thing to do is fit a return hose to the back end,from the D/A spool port that's paired with the lift one.That'll allow the loader to drop smoothly even in the D/A lower position.(What Matbro said,I think.)
When you lift the linkage arms to the top,the pump relief valve should blow........Have the pick up hitch rods been shortened too much?

Good point on the lift. I'll check the pickup hitch linkage tomorrow. I'll look at the pipe back option. On another note I've also lost the float position on both spools. The live drive staft stripped it's splines two years ago and when we reassembled everything the levers wouldn't stay in float. Haven't got around to sorting it yet.

Right,if it's power down as well,you'll have a hose in both top and bottom spool valves then? You may find the male probes on the hoses need replaced and the screwed in female ports on the valve block. There is a long pin inside the female coupler that can wear and/or break and it then doesn't allow oil through.

Right,if it's power down as well,you'll have a hose in both top and bottom spool valves then? You may find the male probes on the hoses need replaced and the screwed in female ports on the valve block. There is a long pin inside the female coupler that can wear and/or break and it then doesn't allow oil through.

I'm not sure what the original setup was like on the 5000 but I've only got a single pipe for the raise/lower. It's 13 years since we removed it from the old tractor and the rams stayed with the frame when the loader was removed. It's only a single pipe from each main ram.

I'm not sure what the original setup was like on the 5000 but I've only got a single pipe for the raise/lower. It's 13 years since we removed it from the old tractor and the rams stayed with the frame when the loader was removed. It's only a single pipe from each main ram.
Has the port been blanked off at the other end of the lift ram or is it open?

Ok then.....if you have no float at the minute,when you push the lever forward to go down,you're dead ending the oil flow,as the spool is D/A and there is nothing connected to that port. That's why you need a return from that unused port to the back end.

Ok, I took a drive to the workshop and I think I have the answer. The rams are single piped, but they're not the originals. The loader was mounted with the standard ford bracket on the 5000. We were going to buy a quickie but ended up with quick attach brackets to suit our existing loader. We got another loader with these and the best bits of both were used and these must have included the rams. Someone else piped it up. I have the original rams somewhere, but I did find the valve chest off the 5000 and it's got two ports in both valves. Question now is whether I swap them back? Also, can I add check valves to the lift rams for safety?

Yeah you can fit check valves their not very expensive you will need top put one on each port of the lift cylinders of you loader heres a link.
https://www.flowfitonline.com/hydraulic-valves/check-valves/hydraulic-inline-check-valve-vu-38
Id agree with the other advice it sounds like your loader is plumbed into a double acting spool valve and when you pull the leaver to let it down your tractor is pumping causing the noise dont use it like this it will knacker the pump.
If you intend to keep the tractor the best thing to do would be to get a proper valve chest to run the loader 400 euro would get you a new valve chest joy stick and cables then you would plump it into the backend of your tractor and you wont be using the tractors spools.
https://www.tractorparts.co.uk/Trac...444-454-474-475-574-674-384-GG-TP125-15-HB-HV
Somthing like this would do your job it comes with a diverter you could use that to run a bale stacker or shear grab etc.

Ok, I took a drive to the workshop and I think I have the answer. The rams are single piped, but they're not the originals. The loader was mounted with the standard ford bracket on the 5000. We were going to buy a quickie but ended up with quick attach brackets to suit our existing loader. We got another loader with these and the best bits of both were used and these must have included the rams. Someone else piped it up. I have the original rams somewhere, but I did find the valve chest off the 5000 and it's got two ports in both valves. Question now is whether I swap them back? Also, can I add check valves to the lift rams for safety?
You can't really fit a check valve on a single acting ram as there's no reverse flow to crack open the valve to allow the oil back out of the ram, the one in the link above is really a non-return valve.

Thanks again lads. I'll check the owners manual tomorrow to see if I can switch it over to single acting. If not I'll fit a pipe back into the back end for now as my mower and trailer both have single acting rams as well. To facilitate the check valves I can refit the original double acting rams. I guess long term the remote valve chest is the way to go. At the moment it'll be the quick solution because I've another tractor in the workshop for a refurb and it'll take me at least another 3 weeks to finish the mechanical, body and wiring and a few more for paint.

Ok then.....if you have no float at the minute,when you push the lever forward to go down,you're dead ending the oil flow,as the spool is D/A and there is nothing connected to that port. That's why you need a return from that unused port to the back end.

Funny thing is that it used to work with the single acting ram on the mounted mower. Even with the engine off it won't stay in position. Two of us built her back up in a day after the shaft replacement so not much thought was given to adjusting controls as we remitted them as we needed her working the following day.

Iirc there is detent positions on Ford spools?
If you put the lever in pressure it should stay there until max system pressure is reached then knock out to neutral

Hi all,
been meaning to get back to this with ages but things have been busy. I did some more work following your advice on this problem. I found a low pressure return connected under the cab so I made up a hose and now the oil from the single acting raise/lower ram drains back via the lower port on that spool, so the stain on the engine is gone. I also found that the pickup hitch adjustment was wrong and it was preventing the lift raising fully and again putting strain on the pump, so a huge thanks for that. However I still have the issue of the loader causing the tractor to shake badly if I try to lower it slowly. If I swap the raise/lower function from my right hand spool to left hand spool it cures the problem, so the issue is with one of the spools.

Hi all,
been meaning to get back to this with ages but things have been busy. I did some more work following your advice on this problem. I found a low pressure return connected under the cab so I made up a hose and now the oil from the single acting raise/lower ram drains back via the lower port on that spool, so the stain on the engine is gone. I also found that the pickup hitch adjustment was wrong and it was preventing the lift raising fully and again putting strain on the pump, so a huge thanks for that. However I still have the issue of the loader causing the tractor to shake badly if I try to lower it slowly. If I swap the raise/lower function from my right hand spool to left hand spool it cures the problem, so the issue is with one of the spools.

Did u check d hoses? We had a grain cart in d states that was slow to lower its auger and it stopped moving it 1 day and it turned out that d hose had closed in slightly over time and eventually closed shut

Back