Low loader / beaver tail flat trailers

The ground clearance on mine is poor anyway under the brackets for the ram for lifting the beaver
Which type of wheels are on yours?
I mean only ag use the 19.5 rim on a standard 10stud 335pcd axle.

As win posted they are near to the drum,on a hgv these would get hot due to higher speeds.
Thought about buying a old step frame and doing a hydraulic beaver tail, the ones I've looked at have had a 10 stud but with the studs closer together, could a 445 19.5 wheel be got to fit them?

Which type of wheels are on yours?

Thought about buying a old step frame and doing a hydraulic beaver tail, the ones I've looked at have had a 10 stud but with the studs closer together, could a 445 19.5 wheel be got to fit them?

The studs closer together are the true low loader axles,reason being that the drum is smaller to allow for clearance to the rim,can't see why you can't get 445-19.5s with a small 10 centre,I know you can't get the 445s with an offset,I tried! You can only have centre knave.

Just watched the clip again there, how long would that push out ramp bit last before it gets twisted etc? Works fine in theory if your unloading on level ground but can't see it lasting too long with heavy machines if ramp not square to the ground
You'd almost think a short fold up ramp would be better, is that what Kane do?

A&W lads have this parked in M&S..
https://www.mandsmachinery.com/products/a-w-low-loader-28ft
img-3021.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking 30ft ish, what length in total are they? How come they are on that type of tyre and not twins?

Not sure on length,initially I thought 40' but looking again I'd say 36' or so.

They are on Palm fittings and c/ca type air couplers so I can only presume European work,wide tyres are more popular on the continent.

Never saw them with twist locks before. I’ve been told they’re a super trailer for hauling tractors and the like but moving heavy tracked machines is the ruination of them. If you plan on moving heavy stuff it’s best to brace every third cross member at an angle down to the chassis.
They make a very nice bale trailer especially if you keep the air bags. Never seen one with it but if you could find one with a front and rear lift axle it’s be the bees knees for awkward spots!
Saw a nice job done converting one where they cut the original side rails off and replaced it with channel took the cut down artic trailer look off it.

Am in the market for a new low loader at the moment as the old one is a touch short on the bed to get teleporters to sit nicely.
Has anyone any experiences of beaver tail flat trailers like what kane do as it would be handier for moving steel etc than ramps getting in way etc.
Are they a touch on high side for comfort
Did you end up purchasing in the end @Bcl think I had a dream recently of doing the same as you and selling the low loader and bale trailer for one multi purpose trailer.

No not as of yet. Been flat out all spring between farm and work and haven't had time to go look at any. I'm still swayed towards that kane beaver tail flat, but would have to buy new as haven't seen any second hand ones. The kane rep kinda said in as many words that they haven't built many of them so I dunno if that's good or bad. ......
I reckon I'd build one properly for less than 6k but getting the time is another story!

Another question @Seedsower what length is the beaver tail on your trailer, got to a figure of 2.2 metre here today on what will be a total bed length on 8.2 metres.

My trailer isnt home atm either!
I'd say it's more than 2.2m beaver length, nearer to 3m than 2 I'd say and it's still steep enough for loading machines, much steeper than the McCauley beaver tail I had before that.id go as far as to say it's not suitable for every day moving machines but ok for occasional use

Back