Machinery Prices

Tractors in particular seem to have gone crazy in the last couple of years. There's no sense to it at all.

The 6175r we bought in December 17 is 20k dearer today .... exact same spec. Gone to hell
Thats madness. What excuse has the salesman for the massive hike?. If it was a brand new model bursting at the seams with new technology you'd semi understand.

Thats madness. What excuse has the salesman for the massive hike?. If it was a brand new model bursting at the seams with new technology you'd semi understand.
No excuse given just that’s what there at now ... to be honest if I was going new again I’d be giving fendt a chance as I think they could be bought for less than John Deere now especially when going spec for spec.

The 6175r we bought in December 17 is 20k dearer today .... exact same spec. Gone to hell

It’s only more expensive if it’s bought.
I don’t buy into all these price hikes.
Machinery prices have always went up and will continue to do so, though not perhaps by as much as we are told.
Straight deals are the way to go, as many trade ins are being valued at about nothing.
This over valuation is being added on to the price of the new machine.
We bought a machine in 2011, we recently bought the exact same machine again. It cost approximately 22% more this time around, 8 and half years later.

Last edited:
It’s only more expensive if it’s bought.
I don’t buy into all these price hikes.
Machinery prices have always went up and will continue to do so, though not perhaps and by as much as we are told.
Straight deals are the way to go, as many trade ins are being valued at about nothing.
This over valuation is being added on to the price of the new machine.
We bought a machine in 2011, we recently bought the exact same machine again. It cost approximately 22% more this time around, 8 and half years later.

Do you sell the tractors on privately now?

From what I can see a 6 cylinder 150/160HP tractor has gone up 50% in the last ten years. Most of that jump seems to have been in the last 3 or 4 years. That would be across a number of brands on straight deals. The other factor to consider is a tractor bought new 20 years ago is still worth a sizeable chunk of what was paid for it, what will a new tractor bought today be worth in 20 years if diesel is continued to be vilified?

From what I can see a 6 cylinder 150/160HP tractor has gone up 50% in the last ten years. Most of that jump seems to have been in the last 3 or 4 years. That would be across a number of brands on straight deals. The other factor to consider is a tractor bought new 20 years ago is still worth a sizeable chunk of what was paid for it, what will a new tractor bought today be worth in 20 years if diesel is continued to be vilified?
They'll only go so far blaming diesels for pollution until it starts to affect the ones making all the noise. If public transport breaks down due to no reliable diesel buses or food starts getting scarcer and a damn sight more expensive because shipping is curtailed and farmers can't use tractors they'll drop the subject.

Some poor f.er going to take first hit buying new.. it only follows that 2nd hand stuff will get more expensive then as well. Big problem i see, is some people just use contractors for nearly everything and it ll be harder to make money contracting as todays contracting rates are not enough to pay a wage and keep reliable equipment up to date

This has been going on forever though. How many on here have bought tractors to find that they have depreciated very little in their time, take any 90s or 80s tractor at the moment, MF300, Ford 40,JD 6000 most of these are appreciating.

It's the wrong way really to look at machinery anyway I believe. Should be looking at it based on cost to change.

I'd say he would if you took a trade of the 2640. Be a prime opportunity for you to get into some vintage stuff for road runs and the like! :clap:

Be a grand tractor for the wrapper for ithastopay....

Hard to see what componentry that goes into making a complete tractor has gone up such vast amounts yet when you go to trade one the steel in the new one is blamed for the increase and the steel in the trade in had lost value:scratchhead:

Hard to see what componentry that goes into making a complete tractor has gone up such vast amounts yet when you go to trade one the steel in the new one is blamed for the increase and the steel in the trade in had lost value:scratchhead:
Steel prices today are about $50/tonne more than they were in 2013 which in a tractor built with 6T of steel equates to $300.
Too many machinery dealers in this country trying to take more margin from fewer sales.

Steel prices today are about $50/tonne more than they were in 2013 which in a tractor built with 6T of steel equates to $300.
Too many machinery dealers in this country trying to take more margin from fewer sales.

Are new prices not gone the same way in the UK though?

I suppose the technology has a huge bearing on cost?. When you consider the price of a latest and greatest smart phone at 1000 Euro or more and a tractor is most assuredly more then 100 times bigger then a phone and should make money over it's life time of working whereas a phone is a constant cost. My point is that manufactures and sales people can charge what they like because the buying public farmers included are buying the goods.

I suppose the technology has a huge bearing on cost?. When you consider the price of a latest and greatest smart phone at 1000 Euro or more and a tractor is most assuredly more then 100 times bigger then a phone and should make money over it's life time of working whereas a phone is a constant cost. My point is that manufactures and sales people can charge what they like because the buying public farmers included are buying the goods.

Your 1000 phone, can also be gotten as a €200 version aswell. Most people must think they are going launching a spaceship with the phones they are using. Also a 1000 phone today is probably only making 500 new in 2 yrs

Your 1000 phone, can also be gotten as a €200 version aswell. Most people must think they are going launching a spaceship with the phones they are using. Also a 1000 phone today is probably only making 500 new in 2 yrs

For the same argument a 80k plus tractor could be substituted for something alot more affordable that would do all the work that's wanted, drawing in bales and feeding them out and moving a 10x6 trailer, 360 days of the year on most livestock farms.

Screenshot_20191002-101753_Chrome.jpg

Its a vicious circle and they always win. They can give u damn all for a trade in but charge d next lad a fortune for ur old machine and spin d line im not making anything off this sale ur getting a great deal

For the same argument a 80k plus tractor could be substituted for something alot more affordable that would do all the work that's wanted, drawing in bales and feeding them out and moving a 10x6 trailer, 360 days of the year on most livestock farms.

View attachment 70476

So a Samsung A9 is a 1000.
Samsung a20 is 160. There isn't a whole lot of difference in them.

So if I buy a JD for 100, were would I buy a new similar tractor for 20k?.

Phones are priced to what the market will pay, many been status symbols for users. 1000 phone probably built for 100. A 100000 JD probably costing 60k to build

So a Samsung A9 is a 1000.
Samsung a20 is 160. There isn't a whole lot of difference in them.

So if I buy a JD for 100, were would I buy a new similar tractor for 20k?.

Phones are priced to what the market will pay, many been status symbols for users. 1000 phone probably built for 100. A 100000 JD probably costing 60k to build
We're into the realm of complete conjecture there now. We'll never get to justify a new tractor at home and couldn't justify a new sprayer as it is but throwing a cost on these things to develop is wildly inaccurate. Sure the tractor in the dealers yard might cost 60k to build but sure what about the 1st one that had 2 or 3 years of r and d work done on it, what about the standards testing required and the thousand other things that go into developing a new machine, I'd say the variance in the cost of steel is a drop in the ocean in comparison.

I heard before about the cost of drugs that the tablet you buy costs cents to manufacture but the first one cost millions and millions.

That said, no type of farming is going to support the price of new gear if the status quo remains in place for another few years

Back