Maintainance feeding on finished cattle.

nashmach

Reading the IFJ there and they are commenting that if cattle are fit that they could be put back on a maintenance type diet.

I know this is a big thing at the moment with these delays on getting stock killed but I personally thought this could be dodgy enough as they could melt quickly enough.

Anybody at this?

It can be done alright but to get it right isn't easy.
Very animal specific.
Depending on how long they have to go until you want them gone, you would be better off letting them melt a bit and then ramp them up again to get them fit. Not an efficient thing to be doing really.

Reading the IFJ there and they are commenting that if cattle are fit that they could be put back on a maintenance type diet.

I know this is a big thing at the moment with these delays on getting stock killed but I personally thought this could be dodgy enough as they could melt quickly enough.

Anybody at this?

If they are 'melting' then they aren't being fed their maintenance, they are being underfed.

As said above it is very animal specific and is hard to achieve but it is possible, especially in closed systems with similar breeding.

Reactions: Paw
i really cant see this being worth it
plan ahead and get them gone as soon as they are near ready

makes me laugh when people leave them until 3 days before their time is up to book them in

i really cant see this being worth it
plan ahead and get them gone as soon as they are near ready

makes me laugh when people leave them until 3 days before their time is up to book them in

You wouldn't be laughing if you were this side of the water at the moment. Have not heard of one farmer yet who is waiting less than 2.5 weeks for stock to be killed and that includes in demand breeds like AA and HE.

You wouldn't be laughing if you were this side of the water at the moment. Have not heard of one farmer yet who is waiting less than 2.5 weeks for stock to be killed and that includes in demand breeds like AA and HE.

is that booked in time?

when do you normally send yours?

mine go anything from 28months
if their ready then get them booked in and once they are gone get the replacements in

parents used to leave them until 29m3w then book them in:sweatdrop:

is that booked in time?

when do you normally send yours?

mine go anything from 28months
if their ready then get them booked in and once they are gone get the replacements in

parents used to leave them until 29m3w then book them in:sweatdrop:

Every other year, you would have a quick chat with an agent and say something like I will have a few for you in two or three weeks price dependent and would be gone.

Sold here as their fit anything from 22 to 26 months.

Has anyone changed their finishing diet for cattle fit to kill or still feeding at the same rates?

Has anyone changed their finishing diet for cattle fit to kill or still feeding at the same rates?
There is something called limit feeding, I would do it in the shed with heifers if going overfit before they go, all cattle need to be able to feed at same time but basically feed them 80% of their normal diet. THEY will be relatively content and seem to continue to gain weight without laying down more fat, don't ask me how it works but it seems to

Back