Maize

Different questions though.:deyective:

:Thumbp2:We could do that with nearly all new threads / posts....:scratchhead:

That sounds like a right good idea :scratchhead: we all should do a search before we consider starting a new thread that way the forum will be quieter and easier to navigate.:clap:

Well that would be the proper thing to do first and then if you have something to query or add to the original thread well all the better for all of us. if its general chit chat your after there are threads there for that too.. :lol:

I've looked through the rules and as far as I can see there's nothing there that states that you need to ask permission to start a new thread nor is there a need to ask other members out of common courtesy. As far as I can see the moderators can remove duplicate posts and threads and create new ones if needed. Farming practices change year on year so it's no harm to keep things fresh imo. I don't normally post in the tillage section but I felt the need to divert from the chit chat threads in the interest of fairness towards the OP.:Thumbp2::Thumbp2::Thumbp2:

I g
Different questions though.:deyective:

That sounds like a right good idea :scratchhead: we all should do a search before we consider starting a new thread that way the forum will be quieter and easier to navigate.:clap:
I guess it can work both ways, start a new thread and you might have a few posts but do the search for a previous thread and there may be a few pages of posts on the topic which may generate more conversation.

The point I was trying to make was not so much the multiple threads about maize but the fact that it's the third thread with the same title started by the same member. I'm not having a go at anyone, people are free to post about what they like, but it's hard enough to avoid repitition when people don't read their own threads never mind anyone else's.

I've looked through the rules and as far as I can see there's nothing there that states that you need to ask permission to start a new thread nor is there a need to ask other members out of common courtesy. As far as I can see the moderators can remove duplicate posts and threads and create new ones if needed. Farming practices change year on year so it's no harm to keep things fresh imo. I don't normally post in the tillage section but I felt the need to divert from the chit chat threads in the interest of fairness towards the OP.:Thumbp2::Thumbp2::Thumbp2:
Well might not bother next time, if folk don't want sensible talk instead it's like children's play ground here,,,

The point I was trying to make was not so much the multiple threads about maize but the fact that it's the third thread with the same title started by the same member. I'm not having a go at anyone, people are free to post about what they like, but it's hard enough to avoid repitition when people don't read their own threads never mind anyone else's.
Excuse me I read a lot of different threads on this forum and make comment on them

When moved to north wales in 2006 there was a lot off maize grown,
Maize in north wales had decline in the 80s but came back, think some farmers just don't know how to grow good crops if want the honest truth

All farmers we grow for moved to plastic so we sold the open drill. More expensive yes but price per ton on maize is still ment to be close to the same as a plastic crop yields more on average. Plastic is a bit more of a safer option
Hard to say in north wales how much maize is under plastic

Plastic is almost essential on maize in my opinion unless you are in a peach of a site.
The whole matter of putting plastic into the soil is another issue......

Would be a big concern of mine too. The plastic doesn't actually disappear, it just breaks down into tiny pieces that we can't see with the naked eye

Its an issue I would be very concerned about, Also plastic in the pit
Is there any sign of it left at harvest? Cost is just too high makes an expensive crop even more so. Seed salesmen were saying unless you had a drill you'd have no work...............hasn't happened, same with the micro fert trying to say you need to get applicators on the drill, seems the micro is not as good so that's about gone as well. The latest is planting grass seed between the maize rows, watch this space!

There'd still be a good bit visible at harvest, very brittle though and doesn't cause any trouble sowing winter crop after it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 58
Back