Maize

How do you harvest and measure results ?

The plots are a given length so we know the area.
Harvest with conventional forage harvester into the Smyth trailer we got last year. Bucket on a long stick takes a sample (for DM & Starch). The trailer has weigh cells which give the fresh yield of the plot.

Is it just around here or is maize shocking poor everywhere? Any I've seen tonight is all yellow and very limp.:cry:​
Same locally. The yellowness is almost uniform in crops around here. All crops that were under plastic that I've seen

8A6EE60D-14FB-4579-ACE7-DCB885F50CE1.jpeg 2AE61AB6-AC8F-4DD3-BBC1-F3227D906EC1.jpeg
It's all under plastic around here. I passed one field tonight which has some docks in it and they are higher than the maize

It needs some heat and fast!
first pic is from 14th June last year, second photo was taken last night the 14th too same field and variety, this years crop was sown two weeks earlier, it’s very clean, some other local crops are very dirty and will need to be sprayed again.

Last edited:
Mine went in start of May, very slow during late May early June and started turning yellow, but rocketed outa it last 10days, around 2ft high now.

Back