Maize

SY feeditop, yes a super cob, I don’t think I ever had maize with such a good cob that was rock solid yet the plant had plenty green leaf left, I’m expecting serious starch and digestibility
do you always cut it that green. probably coming from a beef feeding side of things usually give that another 10 days to dry down to 35 - 40.

do you always cut it that green. probably coming from a beef feeding side of things usually give that another 10 days to dry down to 35 - 40.
No I usually give it a few more days but this year is different as the maize is always dying off from eyespot or sotty mounds but none of that this year. I’ll test it but I reckon it’s 30-35, even tho it’s green it’s very dry.

I'm probably going to sow Westerwolds straight into the maize ground now and hopefully graze it (if its too wet for milkers can put heifer calves on it), only issue there is a fair bit of sh1te in the ground now, maize stakes, weeds, some grass and the odd bit of plastic, what's my best bet to reseed it with?

I'm probably going to sow Westerwolds straight into the maize ground now and hopefully graze it (if its too wet for milkers can put heifer calves on it), only issue there is a fair bit of sh1te in the ground now, maize stakes, weeds, some grass and the odd bit of plastic, what's my best bet to reseed it with?
When do you plan grazing it? Is it going back into maize next year? The cheapest possible method. Disc, slurry, disc, set with fert spreader and roll. Worked fine for me anyway

When do you plan grazing it? Is it going back into maize next year? The cheapest possible method. Disc, slurry, disc, set with fert spreader and roll. Worked fine for me anyway

Yep back into maize, I was thinking of reseeding permanent grass back in and move the maize elsewhere, but that doesn't help my fodder crisis this winter/spring, hopefully instead I'll get 3 grazings outa it before I put it back to maize in April.

This is what the ground looks like. Am I worrying too much?

Attachments

• received_2050306451699635.jpeg
    received_2050306451699635.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 102
Yep back into maize, I was thinking of reseeding permanent grass back in and move the maize elsewhere, but that doesn't help my fodder crisis this winter/spring, hopefully instead I'll get 3 grazings outa it before I put it back to maize in April.
Better to move the maize.

Were you not worried more that your heifers had broken out :laugh:

They are the milking cows ha. They have surprisingly got 3 daytime grazings outa the maize ground, and 3acres grass in the field beside it which didn't have much cover, and they are still reasonably happy!

13 around and 39 in length. Not a clue is that good or bad but cobs looked decent to me
has to be an even number in the round. usually get around 28 or 30 here in grain length and 12 or 14 in the round.(then again I thaught the round was down to variety:scratchhead:)

@Sheebadog I was told over the summer that by day 14 of a maize plant being in the ground it had determined how many cobs, by day 21 how many grains in the round and by day 28 the length of the cob and that all plants do similar by sending out feelers from the roots to analysis what the soil and climate can sustain. ever hear of such

has to be an even number in the round. usually get around 28 or 30 here in grain length and 12 or 14 in the round.(then again I thaught the round was down to variety:scratchhead:)

@Sheebadog I was told over the summer that by day 14 of a maize plant being in the ground it had determined how many cobs, by day 21 how many grains in the round and by day 28 the length of the cob and that all plants do similar by sending out feelers from the roots to analysis what the soil and climate can sustain. ever hear of such
14 around, I’ve a few cobs here in the jeep since last week.
The cob on the feeditop is long and narrow, I’ve seen cobs from over varieties, usually coded ones that have real fat but short cobs with a big centre of the cob, think it’s called the spindle but it’s supposed to be quite un-digestible I think

Is that maize or sorghum in the 2nd photo?
Both sorghum.
Finished harvesting now and covering pits.

Grain maize finished.
Sunflowers finished.
Chick peas finished.
Harvest finished.
Blow down combines tomorrow.

Team go-carting Sunday and bbq afterwards.
(Little surprise for our lads because I’ve invited the local contractors team for a rematch!)

14 around, I’ve a few cobs here in the jeep since last week.
The cob on the feeditop is long and narrow, I’ve seen cobs from over varieties, usually coded ones that have real fat but short cobs with a big centre of the cob, think it’s called the spindle but it’s supposed to be quite un-digestible I think
It’s collected from seed houses (cobs harvested complete for seed production) and ground down for animal feed, so it’s digestable but definitely not palatable.

Interesting. Never heard of such.

Cob is formed between 6 and 8 leaves. Never, ever spray herbicide at that stage.

Maize throws out two leaves per week up to ten leaf stage. Like clockwork.

Maize is as easy (or difficult, depending on who you’re talking to) a crop to grow as grass.
“Head in the sun, toes in water” French saying.

Got our maize in yesterday, not a massive patch, 6 whole acres did10 trailers, looks better in a heap, with the way forage stocks are be glad ove the food come Xmas,,
Only put the field on as we had a bit of bare ground planting time,,

Back