Manhole Covers

lough

I am putting in a manhole but would like the option of getting into it to work at water fittings if needed. If I put on the standard manhole cover that is used on roads they don't give you much room to work in. Has anyone ever made their own cover that would carry a tractor, it won't be carrying traffic that often and was thinking of a manhole maybe 3ft by 2ft. Has anyone any ideas or suggestions

I am putting in a manhole but would like the option of getting into it to work at water fittings if needed. If I put on the standard manhole cover that is used on roads they don't give you much room to work in. Has anyone ever made their own cover that would carry a tractor, it won't be carrying traffic that often and was thinking of a manhole maybe 3ft by 2ft. Has anyone any ideas or suggestions
Get a chunk of inch plating. 3/4 inch would do to and weld a few ribs underneath it. Recess it down into the concrete so it's flush with the yard surface.

The standard road manhole covers (think they're called Cavanagh Cougar) should give you enough of room for operating on water fittings using the right tools; we have several of them around the yard here and the water fittings are about 2 foot below the surface. The diameter would be around 2 foot at a guess. Check out a decent large hardware store that might supply local councils etc.
MF30

you can get manhole covers up to 1m in diameter, but not every builders provider will have them, they only carry 500mm ones, if you knew some one with eir the would tell you where to get the ones they use............................

There are double covers to be had. Presumably without a brace in the middle.
Quite often used for underground telecom's systems as they need room to be worked on.
Bloody heavy though.

There is a few ideas there that I must look into more. I don't want anything that will be to heavy to lift

Back