Massey Ferguson 7400

Well finally got her home yesterday, about half hour into the journey I had error e94 flash up and a loss of power. Managed to limp home and turns out they had changed the two main diesel filters but not the square one in the top of the sediment bowl :tdown:. Anyway I have changed that this morning and blown back the suction pipe into the tank and she pulls like a train now. Next job is to have a look at the cab suspension as the ride is awfull. Looks like the bushes in the panhard rods are well worn and I think I have an air leak. Also the front cab mounts are shot. I hoping I can bush the panhard rods with alkathene and put some cow mat under the front mounts. Then got to find the air leak which could be fun. Is it possible to get to the compressor from inside the cab as I don't think I will get on to well from behind the cab?

Well finally got her home yesterday, about half hour into the journey I had error e94 flash up and a loss of power. Managed to limp home and turns out they had changed the two main diesel filters but not the square one in the top of the sediment bowl :tdown:. Anyway I have changed that this morning and blown back the suction pipe into the tank and she pulls like a train now. Next job is to have a look at the cab suspension as the ride is awfull. Looks like the bushes in the panhard rods are well worn and I think I have an air leak. Also the front cab mounts are shot. I hoping I can bush the panhard rods with alkathene and put some cow mat under the front mounts. Then got to find the air leak which could be fun. Is it possible to get to the compressor from inside the cab as I don't think I will get on to well from behind the cab?
That little square filter is the most common 1 you will change
Rear panhard rods,get new metal oversize bushings made and press them in,that will save you 360 quid
Front mounts can be done in situ apart from the main round 1's
Theres a good thread on tff at the mo
As for air leaks the compressor is from under neath over the toplink
To be honest if i was you i would do what i did and rip the compressor out and replumb into the tractors air.
Erentek will sell you some bits for about 100quid to convert it

You will be hours hunting air leaks and then your compressor will go (£630)

Thanks headcase there's some very usefull info there. I had a horrible feeling I would have to go in over the top link. No the rear axle hasn't been done, they were going to but I would prefer to do it as I wouldn't mind checking the cardan shaft brake whilst I have the oil drained.

Thanks headcase there's some very usefull info there. I had a horrible feeling I would have to go in over the top link. No the rear axle hasn't been done, they were going to but I would prefer to do it as I wouldn't mind checking the cardan shaft brake whilst I have the oil drained.
Erentek will sell you a safety valve and a adjustable pressure regulator and pipework and fittings to control the cab
Just t the safety valve into the air lines somewhere then to the pressure reg.i mounted the reg behind the small lower back window so can be seen and operated from seat but truth be told just set it at about 2.2 bar .then from that reg just t it to both air chambers

Yes give the axle a.proper birthday
Filters arnt cheap but worthwhile:Thumbp2:only hold about 50l of oil too so not worth scrimping

Dont forget to adjust the rear brakes about every 1800 to 2000 hours to save the cardan brake

And if you or anyone has a supply of non mf shock absorbers please let me know as mf want 200 each!
I'm sure that over on the bff, footsfitter had issues with the shocks on a 6499 and had found a non agco source for the genuine koni shocks

Why is it that when you have been looking for ages for the right thing to come along there isn't any until you have finally found one and handed over your money, and then bugger me if there isn't suddenly lots to choose from.
First ryle of buying something. ..
Stop looking when you buy!!

Why is it that when you have been looking for ages for the right thing to come along there isn't any until you have finally found one and handed over your money, and then bugger me if there isn't suddenly lots to choose from.

There didn't seem to be that many in the sub 30k market until very lately. Thing is even if there are others suddenly about for less money would those dealers have given you as good a price for your CVX?

There didn't seem to be that many in the sub 30k market until very lately. Thing is even if there are others suddenly about for less money would those dealers have given you as good a price for your CVX?
That's very true, I had tried a couple of other dealers and none would give me a decent price for mine. I even tried some of the case main dealers.

Either that's cheap or @jthomsonagri cvx is dear, which is it?
I would have said that the mf is cheap.

That one in Robsons is cheap for what it is.

Now purely guessing on @jthomsonagri Massey seemed good value too and looking at the price the dealer is looking for his CVX his cost to change didn't seem wild money
Whenever I am looking to change tractors I only ever ask the dealer to give me his best price to change. That way I know exactly where I am from the start.

Crikey. That seems a lot of tractor for the money even converting to euro and paying vat. Seems much better value compared to a new Holland of similar size hours and year. How come?

Bigger Masseys depreciate quickly.

I bought this tractor recently,had it a week now just put a set of new front tyres on it as we struggled pulling the muck spreader in less than ideal conditions,2009 done 6000 hours lovely tractor fantastic condition and a pleasure to use,what speed should it go on the road? data says 33 mph dash says 53k satnav says 40 mph or 65k and so does the roadside sign that flashes up your actual speed,it displayed 40 in red!! I just wondered if it had been tricked into going faster than it really should,I asked the dealer that I bought it from and he said that it was a 1 owner from new and had done hardly any roadwork WP_20160406_005.jpg WP_20160411_001.jpg

Back