McCullough: Vegan diets are here to stay.

of course studies are flawed. remember the other day listening to redfm and they mentioned that rashers can cause bowel cancer. all i could do is laugh as, A: they didnt mention if it was compared to other meats . B: a rasher is fried, usually in oil. they didnt mention how the rasher is cooked and C: they mentioned that the people being tested on had a rasher everyday. its not out of the realms of possibility that someone could eat a rasher everyday but i'd say the good majority of people dont. also there is other variables at play here like what the pig was fed to how the meat was cured. i'm gonna have a look around the internet to find study. but my main complaint is that the study wasnt talked about in great detail on redfm. they just spurted out what the result of the study was and went on their merry way to the next headline. thats part of the problem nowadays. majority of ppl take the headline as fact without reading the whole story for context. thats how misinformation spreads

Edit: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...-day-can-increase-bowel-cancer-risk-1.3863215
they seem to answer some of the questions raised i have up above. also i like that they mention to try other meats and fish instead of saying "stay away from meat! it bad for you! try nuts and lentils!"
I just copied out this little bit from the irishtimes article ....“There’s substantial evidence that red and processed meat are linked to bowel cancer, and the World Health Organisation classifies processed meat as carcinogenic and red meat as probably carcinogenic." The mind boggles if the W H O is serious with this claim, consider the Roundup case and if the red and processed meat issue was taken to the courts by anyone with bowel cancer the processing industry could be obliterated.

of course studies are flawed. remember the other day listening to redfm and they mentioned that rashers can cause bowel cancer. all i could do is laugh as, A: they didnt mention if it was compared to other meats . B: a rasher is fried, usually in oil. they didnt mention how the rasher is cooked and C: they mentioned that the people being tested on had a rasher everyday. its not out of the realms of possibility that someone could eat a rasher everyday but i'd say the good majority of people dont. also there is other variables at play here like what the pig was fed to how the meat was cured. i'm gonna have a look around the internet to find study. but my main complaint is that the study wasnt talked about in great detail on redfm. they just spurted out what the result of the study was and went on their merry way to the next headline. thats part of the problem nowadays. majority of ppl take the headline as fact without reading the whole story for context. thats how misinformation spreads

Edit: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...-day-can-increase-bowel-cancer-risk-1.3863215
they seem to answer some of the questions raised i have up above. also i like that they mention to try other meats and fish instead of saying "stay away from meat! it bad for you! try nuts and lentils!"

Plus the main issue with processed pork is the Sodium Nitrite preservatives they use, not the pork itself.

From what I heard on the news they said it raised the likelihood of contracting bowel cancer from 6in 100 to 7 in 100, if you round up the data.

Alot of these "studies" are really just surveys. Take random samples of people ask them questions on their diet, get their medical history and work out the odds, and make correlations from diet to illness.

The truth about cancer is we are all a ticking timebomb. Our cells replicate and die off constantly and some mess up the code, usually they die off and other times they don't and keep multiplying.
They try to link chemicals to increasing the chances of creating a cell with a messed up code.

Being a vegan increase your chances of being avoided in social gatherings by 75 %
As much as I think they are misguided one of my best friends younger brother is a vegan.
He's really intelligent, articulate, and listens to my views. I tell him the reasons we do what we do regards fertiliser and animal welfare(down to what we can afford), and I try my best to listen to his concerns.
He believes an animal's life shouldn't be taken unless as the very very last resort.
I respect him, he listens takes in information and makes his own judgement.
It doesn't align with mine but we are far from hating each other, I'd enjoy talking with him as much as any of my close friends.

As much as I think they are misguided one of my best friends younger brother is a vegan.
He's really intelligent, articulate, and listens to my views. I tell him the reasons we do what we do regards fertiliser and animal welfare(down to what we can afford), and I try my best to listen to his concerns.
He believes an animal's life shouldn't be taken unless as the very very last resort.
I respect him, he listens takes in information and makes his own judgement.
It doesn't align with mine but we are far from hating each other, I'd enjoy talking with him as much as any of my close friends.

Got a similar friend here, plenty of good conversions with him. I remember him recommending I watch cowspercy, which I did, and I found myself very sucked into it, and questioning my farming practices immediately afterwards, however on further investigation I learnt several flaws in their research, and my friend was willing to accept them also and change his tune as well. Interesting thought he has since accepted to relax his full on vegan diet, to include eggs etc, because a blood test was showing low B12 levels (or something similar).

Ultimately though he's studying horticulture in college, which is an area he is very knowledgeable and interested in, and he knows he can make a reasonable difference in that whole area across his life if he applies himself, against say just going out and trying to force his vegan views down other peoples throats and feeling sorry about everything ha.

Last edited:
Back