Mchale vs Welger

As @headcase said they wud be v short with all knives. On my fusion I have to actually remove the 13 knives but there is a option to ave all knives on 13 on 12 on or no knives can be done on the screen. It's just an extra cost.

I'm just wondering because our contractor has 2 mchale balers. One appears to chop silage shorter than the other, and as well as that, it appears that one driver's bales are chopped at a different length to the other - even if both are using the same baler on different days with us.

As said above . You’ve the option of 12 /13 or 25 knives . For 25 knives chopping you want nice clean fluffy row no lumps / stones or sticks . Any of the fore mentioned above and you’ll have non chopped silage very quickly. Run 13 knives here in work with blank in where the remaining knives should be .
Lads, when ye are baling silage with your McHale or welger or whatever it is you use, do you chop with all knives or is there an option to remove some or disengage some?
That could be down to one driver bothering to edge the knives
I'm just wondering because our contractor has 2 mchale balers. One appears to chop silage shorter than the other, and as well as that, it appears that one driver's bales are chopped at a different length to the other - even if both are using the same baler on different days with us.

Can't imagine them baleing with the 25 knives tho I did it a few times u wud know the diference in the chop length, unless 1 driver removed another 5 knives and is baling with 7 knives so he can drive faster.

Lads, when ye are baling silage with your McHale or welger or whatever it is you use, do you chop with all knives or is there an option to remove some or disengage some?
I bale with either 12 or 13, my fusion has selectable knives so can pick if i want 12 13 or 25 up at a time. You can take half out and put in blanks as well

if the edge is on the knive it doesn't matter how many are up. most balers have the choice now and it is nice to be able to change to a new set from 12-13 if u pick up something cause as said it takes more power when they get blunt and u do notice. I bale with 17 in all the time, would have rounded edged bales compared to others but that is the shorter chop as much as anything unless hard dry grass

What kinda grease do boys put in the auto greaser of a 245? EP1 marked on it, just wonder what and how ye fill it? Any1 use ep2?? ( never used auto greaser

Using the blue grease this year have used plain grease up to then . Use the old type cartridge here in a special gun and have a port fitted on the greaser for it whole cartridge in ,in one push .
In the pic green line should be a grease nipple there under a red cover . Yellow line is port we use on the baler in work . Red line is the port that im told you can thread the screw in cartridges into and push the contents in with a bar / handle of a hammer . Will get a pic / name in the morning of the gun we using for filling the greaser .

upload_2019-7-10_23-34-2.png

What kinda grease do boys put in the auto greaser of a 245? EP1 marked on it, just wonder what and how ye fill it? Any1 use ep2?? ( never used auto greaser

Attachments

• 7375A6C2-5DF5-4748-BEAC-8968D3585E75.jpeg
    7375A6C2-5DF5-4748-BEAC-8968D3585E75.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 8B48F676-F6FB-4E48-A43A-66F3A132DEF1.jpeg
    8B48F676-F6FB-4E48-A43A-66F3A132DEF1.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 72
  • C976A00F-8A52-43F3-A224-3AF3ADF2D994.jpeg
    C976A00F-8A52-43F3-A224-3AF3ADF2D994.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 152D015A-9A93-45C3-B214-3FF8AE38FA0D.jpeg
    152D015A-9A93-45C3-B214-3FF8AE38FA0D.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 75
Lads how many bales ye getting out of a backdoor chain before ye have to change it One on the Baler here is done after 25k bales . Bit sooner than normal I reckon .

can anyone answer a few questions on a 5500 McHale, I only have it a day or two to try.

should the pressure clock drop when baling but rise up to near end of red before netting-auto, then drop back to around start of red when net finished?
what pressure is the knives set at and when is it outside the range, does that mean they need sharped?
would rough paint be why it is damaging the net, the bottom door roller has been replaces but you can feel the rough paint and I am getting a line of damaged net on a bale?

Lads how many bales ye getting out of a backdoor chain before ye have to change it One on the Baler here is done after 25k bales . Bit sooner than normal I reckon .
The last new Baler I had , I got 30000 out of them ,changed them all then ,

can anyone answer a few questions on a 5500 McHale, I only have it a day or two to try.

should the pressure clock drop when baling but rise up to near end of red before netting-auto, then drop back to around start of red when net finished?
what pressure is the knives set at and when is it outside the range, does that mean they need sharped?
would rough paint be why it is damaging the net, the bottom door roller has been replaces but you can feel the rough paint and I am getting a line of damaged net on a bale?

@ithastopay or @greenhorn

I must be way too cautious then, i'd be changing them well under 20k bales. Just use a medium quality chain and change more often so as not to wear the sprockets. Can't be doing with running a chain on and risk it breaking with the potential damage it can do if it wraps or jams up.

The bale pressure sounds normal anways, knives pressure should be between 45 and 60, they need to be sharpened or your going too fast, some grass is harder chopped, how many knives are you running? Check and see if there is a stone or something in the net tray, that's usually the cause of damaged net

The bale pressure sounds normal anways, knives pressure should be between 45 and 60, they need to be sharpened or your going too fast, some grass is harder chopped, how many knives are you running? Check and see if there is a stone or something in the net tray, that's usually the cause of damaged net

yep thinking knives need sharped, still need to know how to do that. was more worried about pressure but if it sounds normal that is ok, the bakes seem fine as it is

knive pressure seems to be about 48, so maybe push that up a it

How often are lads sharpening the knives and how many knives are being used?
Baling big rows of grass that’s almost hay is very hard to chop.
We run with 8 knives all the time, Mchale 5500 so we don’t have the option to select, 7, 8 or 15.
We put in sharp knives every 500 bales or so, depending on workload it might go a bit longer, 650 would be the max.
We use bales ourselves and we’re happy with the chop length,

Using 12 knives here Massey baler (welger245 profi) . Like to leave the yard each morning with a freshly sharpened set . So 500 bales odd per sharpening . Foreign objects are a killer on them . Near better off now running with the knives down for the headland swarths . Time consuming job though each night taking out a set and sharpening them . Know of lads with fusions who run with 10 knives I think. Leaves the outer knives out as reckoned the were taking twice the volume of grass as the rest and putting the knife unit under extra pressure.

How often are lads sharpening the knives and how many knives are being used?
Baling big rows of grass that’s almost hay is very hard to chop.
We run with 8 knives all the time, Mchale 5500 so we don’t have the option to select, 7, 8 or 15.
We put in sharp knives every 500 bales or so, depending on workload it might go a bit longer, 650 would be the max.
We use bales ourselves and we’re happy with the chop length,
I take it you’ve someone moaning over chop length

No, Im just interested to know how often others sharpen their knives, I’m aware of some who wouldn’t sharpen knives as regularly and seem to be getting on ok
Can you set the pressure for your knives on the mchale . On the Massey you can’t . But you can lock the knives up bypass the pressure bottles of sorts . Only to be used to get the knives up after they’ve been down for a while. Surprising what it’ll chop if you have the knives up with that setting ........

Back