Mchale vs Welger

Discussion in 'Machinery Matters' started by johndeere6920s, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Mf 7715

Mf 7715 Well-Known Member

As @headcase said they wud be v short with all knives. On my fusion I have to actually remove the 13 knives but there is a option to ave all knives on 13 on 12 on or no knives can be done on the screen. It's just an extra cost.

muckymanor likes this.
  2. muckymanor

muckymanor Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering because our contractor has 2 mchale balers. One appears to chop silage shorter than the other, and as well as that, it appears that one driver's bales are chopped at a different length to the other - even if both are using the same baler on different days with us.

3. massey 6480

massey 6480 Well-Known Member

As said above . You’ve the option of 12 /13 or 25 knives . For 25 knives chopping you want nice clean fluffy row no lumps / stones or sticks . Any of the fore mentioned above and you’ll have non chopped silage very quickly. Run 13 knives here in work with blank in where the remaining knives should be .
    That could be down to one driver bothering to edge the knives

muckymanor likes this.
  4. Mf 7715

Mf 7715 Well-Known Member

Can't imagine them baleing with the 25 knives tho I did it a few times u wud know the diference in the chop length, unless 1 driver removed another 5 knives and is baling with 7 knives so he can drive faster.

muckymanor likes this.
  5. Grassnslurry

Grassnslurry Well-Known Member

I bale with either 12 or 13, my fusion has selectable knives so can pick if i want 12 13 or 25 up at a time. You can take half out and put in blanks as well

6. wdah

wdah Well-Known Member

if the edge is on the knive it doesn't matter how many are up. most balers have the choice now and it is nice to be able to change to a new set from 12-13 if u pick up something cause as said it takes more power when they get blunt and u do notice. I bale with 17 in all the time, would have rounded edged bales compared to others but that is the shorter chop as much as anything unless hard dry grass

7. massey 6480

8123E49D-B112-43D5-B92A-A26BE0767659.jpeg

Fusion bale in the middle Massey/ Welger bale either side :fight: :laugh:

8. ShaneB140

ShaneB140 Well-Known Member

What kinda grease do boys put in the auto greaser of a 245? EP1 marked on it, just wonder what and how ye fill it? Any1 use ep2?? ( never used auto greaser

9. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

There should be a nipple on the bottom of it and it can be filled off a barrel type pump

ShaneB140 likes this.
  10. ShaneB140

ShaneB140 Well-Known Member

Mmm, any photos?

11. massey 6480

Using the blue grease this year have used plain grease up to then . Use the old type cartridge here in a special gun and have a port fitted on the greaser for it whole cartridge in ,in one push .
    In the pic green line should be a grease nipple there under a red cover . Yellow line is port we use on the baler in work . Red line is the port that im told you can thread the screw in cartridges into and push the contents in with a bar / handle of a hammer . Will get a pic / name in the morning of the gun we using for filling the greaser .

upload_2019-7-10_23-34-2.png

gone and ShaneB140 like this.
  12. massey 6480

Attached Files:

ShaneB140 and eire23 like this.
  13. James

James Well-Known Member

Has anyone had a go with the mf protec combi baler?

14. massey 6480

Lads how many bales ye getting out of a backdoor chain before ye have to change it One on the Baler here is done after 25k bales . Bit sooner than normal I reckon .

15. wdah

wdah Well-Known Member

can anyone answer a few questions on a 5500 McHale, I only have it a day or two to try.

should the pressure clock drop when baling but rise up to near end of red before netting-auto, then drop back to around start of red when net finished?
    what pressure is the knives set at and when is it outside the range, does that mean they need sharped?
    would rough paint be why it is damaging the net, the bottom door roller has been replaces but you can feel the rough paint and I am getting a line of damaged net on a bale?

16. 086lavey

086lavey Well-Known Member

The last new Baler I had , I got 30000 out of them ,changed them all then ,

17. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

@ithastopay or @greenhorn

18. Win

Win Well-Known Member

I must be way too cautious then, i'd be changing them well under 20k bales. Just use a medium quality chain and change more often so as not to wear the sprockets. Can't be doing with running a chain on and risk it breaking with the potential damage it can do if it wraps or jams up.

19. houlie87

houlie87 Well-Known Member

The bale pressure sounds normal anways, knives pressure should be between 45 and 60, they need to be sharpened or your going too fast, some grass is harder chopped, how many knives are you running? Check and see if there is a stone or something in the net tray, that's usually the cause of damaged net

wdah likes this.
  20. wdah

wdah Well-Known Member

yep thinking knives need sharped, still need to know how to do that. was more worried about pressure but if it sounds normal that is ok, the bakes seem fine as it is

knive pressure seems to be about 48, so maybe push that up a it