Metal detecting

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by RogeR45, Apr 17, 2017.

1. RogeR45

RogeR45 New Member

Hello,

Yes another person after their first permission to detect on . I will keep this short as your probably bored with all the posts about this subject. Although some of it is quite funny.
    I prefer to have a permission near Chelmsford or as near as possible . Reason is that I'm interested in where I live, and I work shifts 10 days on and 4 off so I don't really have time to travel miles.

I have ncmd membership which comes with 10 million liability insurance. I belong to my local club.

I follow all the rules and remove scrap from fields, and take litter home.

I have Police references and carry a clear advanced criminal record check.
    I carry ID.

I have 27 years countryside experience as well as tractor driving, chainsaw experience upto cs32
    Excavator mini digger experience/training.
    Expert mole catcher.
    And I'm First aid trained.

I also know how land owners feel about detectorists, I help manage various sites in Essex none of which allows metal detecting, the site I'm based at as an old Iron Age hill fort, is the site of a Tudor mansion, was used throughout ww2 and is not far from a main roman road. So we get our share of certain detectarist types. But we are not all bad. Also my Grandad used to run a pig farm in Hertfordshire until he retired.

2. paddy1001

paddy1001 Well-Known Member

What is the perceived problem with people carrying out metal detecting on land besides the obvious tripping etc? I don't think I have ever seen anyone walking around anywhere here in my locality with a metal detector in fields even though there probably is quite a bit of history buried in this locality, both recent and old stuff.
    I have a detector here but have never taken the time to learn how to use it properly, but would like to know what's under my feet on my own wee patch here.

3. RogeR45

RogeR45 New Member