MF30 drill & cover crops

beardedfarmer

Hi all

I recently found an MF30 drill at one of my farms I didnt know/forgotten I had. Does anyone have any experience in using one to drill cover crops (varying seed sizes) with into wheat stubbles? Do you need a small seed kit for them? I havent got in back to base to have a look at it yet.

My plan is to

1) Wholecrop all my wheat

2) Empty lagoons on to the land with tankers and splash plate

3) Wait for slurry to dry as im worried about the slot filling with slurry and drowning the seeds, once dry drill vetch, mustard, chircory, clover, IRG, radish etc

4) Come the autumn ill either plough+dutch harrow+drill or dd winter wheat

Does anyone have any experience in a similar situation/suggestions. I am worried about the cover crop taking out all the moisture out of the ground.

Thanks

Hi all

I recently found an MF30 drill at one of my farms I didnt know/forgotten I had. Does anyone have any experience in using one to drill cover crops (varying seed sizes) with into wheat stubbles? Do you need a small seed kit for them? I havent got in back to base to have a look at it yet.

My plan is to

1) Wholecrop all my wheat

2) Empty lagoons on to the land with tankers and splash plate

3) Wait for slurry to dry as im worried about the slot filling with slurry and drowning the seeds, once dry drill vetch, mustard, chircory, clover, IRG, radish etc

4) Come the autumn ill either plough+dutch harrow+drill or dd winter wheat

Does anyone have any experience in a similar situation/suggestions. I am worried about the cover crop taking out all the moisture out of the ground.

Thanks
shouldnt be a problem unless the drill is fooked
get a good mix of the seed first before filling it up
as for the moisture thing normally thats a good thing

A MF 30 will struggle I reckon.

You need a small seed kit and even at that from what I am told it is not very accurate.

Also the coulters will not have sufficent pressure to keep them in the ground. I presume it is a disc machine and I'd say the discs won't cut enough into the ground.

Later in the year, we hope to be sowing mustard as a cover crop and the current plan is to pigtail harrow the field, oversow with a Vicon spreader and roll.

Back