milk prices

Speaking of which was with a man there a few days ago. Bred MRI on high yielding herd for a few years. Very straight forward lad he was, said "they were shite" :whistling:. Something about them not yielding enough...now he's on Jersey and NZ cows and happy so they must have been desperate low

Speaking of which was with a man there a few days ago. Bred MRI on high yielding herd for a few years. Very straight forward lad he was, said "they were shite" :whistling:. Something about them not yielding enough...now he's on Jersey and NZ cows and happy so they must have been desperate low

seen alot of straight forward men talking bollocks about holstein too, until you turn the corner and see them piled 4 deep for the dead cart:rolleyes:

Hmmm squabbling over cowtypes ugh, Duno why I bothered reading this thread tonight ha! I find that farmer type makes a much much bigger difference than cowtype to most farms! (and by farmer type, think of a lazy farmer who doesn't have much of a business head with not much control over grassland/calving intervals/cost etc etc, against the smart farmer who is on top of all of this, and values their time also, so has everything setup well!).

A good farmer will make any type of cow earn money for himself!

A good farmer will make any type of cow earn money for himself!

as TMKF says it's was more about if it's worth it or not to have a beefier cow and sacrifice milk a bit so you can pay the groceries with cull cows, as far as cow type discussions go i think we are all just generally ribbing each other at this stage.

oh, and i don't think you should insinuate that anyone here doesn't know what they are doing business wise either. everyone is in a different situation, and there are as many different answers as there are people asking the question.

Farmer type, cow type and then there's show type.:rolleyes:. Just give me a functional cow and quit the deflecting, trying the rationalise inferior type cows.

as TMKF says it's was more about if it's worth it or not to have a beefier cow and sacrifice milk a bit so you can pay the groceries with cull cows, as far as cow type discussions go i think we are all just generally ribbing each other at this stage.

oh, and i don't think you should insinuate that anyone here doesn't know what they are doing business wise either. everyone is in a different situation, and there are as many different answers as there are people asking the question.

Did we even mention the word "type" above JCB before TIM's post?

We were discussing the return on beef on dairy farms and not abstract type

Ha, I shoulda thrown in afew smilies in that post of mine, everytime I see a new post in the milk prices thread I naively dream that it's someone1 announcing that Glanbia are increased the milk price to 40c/l etc ha, only to have my dreams dashed by you's nattering about Holsteins v Jerseys etc!

Point taken, I'll admit myself I spend long enough myself trying to blame some of the problems on myown farm on the likes of cow type etc etc, when at the end of the day we should have been focusing on more immediate issues!

Ha, I shoulda thrown in afew smilies in that post of mine, everytime I see a new post in the milk prices thread I naively dream that it's someone1 announcing that Glanbia are increased the milk price to 40c/l etc ha,

same here, we can only dream:no:

heifer on left a MMU made 3350 and the GIO on right made 2400 also had a VTH that made 1980 and a RAVENA that made 1680

What are the full names of the bulls, we don't use these codes.
Edit: looked up Icbf for myself.

Last edited:
Back