Milk solids

TMKF

We have a thread about milk prices and bulls so why not one on milk solids to see what havoc the weather/meal prices/bulls used are having

After a very long spell (about may) our Protein is finally starting to rise again as it was worryingly low for a while but the B.Fat was always high
Was talking to the milk man and he was saying none of the others on his route we're over 3.0-3.2 pr

We have a thread about milk prices and bulls so why not one on milk solids to see what havoc the weather/meal prices/bulls used are having

After a very long spell (about may) our Protein is finally starting to rise again as it was worryingly low for a while but the B.Fat was always high
Was talking to the milk man and he was saying none of the others on his route we're over 3.0-3.2 pr
Last test on the 20th Fat 3.73 Prot 3.47 Lact 4.81 SCC 118k.Averaging 30ltrs.
I don't know where that protein figure came from but it can't be from grass as its pure sh1te.
A pile of stem with very little topping done growth rates after taking a serious tumble too on 4kgs of ration at the moment.
I'm getting fertilizer out on some of the dry (ish) paddocks going with two bags of CAN.I spread one bag of Can on the last round i reckon it all got washed away because it bloody well did'nt grow anything.

BF 3.84%
Protein 3.28%
SCC 164
Milking 28.5 kgs on 4 kgs of meal. That is just over 2kgs solids/cow

Grass is stemmy with little topping being done. Happy given the circumstances

Cows here are doin 28ltrs @3.5 protein and 3.8 fat. They are grazing covers of 14-1500. When the burst of growth came and they were grazing covers over 2000, protein dipped to 3.3 and butterfat rose a little to 3.9.

Milk recorded on thursday and best cow is milking 46 ltrs.

Not on solids but reading this makes me happy to see others are having difficulties getting out to top - thought it was just me!

Topping today and the headlands were very very marginal and this is the driest grass field in the farm!

Compared to the base price does this mean most milk men on A+B-C will lose out even more this month compared to an average year?

Sample for the 24th
Fat 3.90
Prot 3.49
Had to put the cows into a paddock that was ment to be taken out for bales this evening god knows what it will do to the protein:crying:

Yielding 22ltrs @ 3.97 b.fat and 3.36 pr on only 1.5 kg 16% (was 4.15 b.ft and 3.41 pr on the 16th) going into covers of 1300-1500
That 1.5kg is really annoying me because normally at this time of year we'd be done with meal feeding altogether but the bit of wet last week is hampering us. This week's weather forecast of 23C and rain should see us back into 1500+ covers and off meal:thumbup:
Best yield 36 litres from milk recording 2 weeks ago from an 8th lactation cow!

Last edited:
Very close to 4% fat now, the joys of big covers. Protein is still around 3.30%. Cows are full and content.

Pre cutting grass, any thoughts?

Have covers of 1800-2200 and not as leafy as I'd like, usually skip but can't afford to this week.

As of 24th
B.fat 4.07
Pr down to 3.3:sad:

Yield up 300ltrs though
Last night feeding 2kg and probably will til this heavy rain is over. Going into covers of 1400-1500

Last edited:
Very close to 4% fat now, the joys of big covers. Protein is still around 3.30%. Cows are full and content.

Pre cutting grass, any thoughts?

Have covers of 1800-2200 and not as leafy as I'd like, usually skip but can't afford to this week.

Never done it myself but have been told it takes cows a few days to get used to it. There could be a lot of it wasted at first.

Milk recording from last Thursday 29.2kg @3.97 fat and 3.54 protein.

Fat 3.83
Prot 3.28
Big drop in protein as expected had to graze a paddock stopped for bales.
Up to 6kgs of ration growth rates in the low 30s very little topping done paddocks mostly stem.
The few paddocks i topped have taken 30+ days to recover.The last round of Nitrogen gave virtually no response so going with two bags on this round to see if i can kick start growth.
Wednesday nights rain really fcuked things up never seen anything like it:thumbdown:
Oh and i forgot 45 acres of silage still to cut as if things were'nt bad enough.

http://www.independent.ie/farming/connacht-gold-to-establish-new-dairy-demonstration-farm-at-roscommon-site-3150703.htm

I Dont think this is necessary and a waste of co-op (farmers) money. What are they going to learn that hasn't already been learned?

Dead link Martin.
Does seem strange considering there are a dozen demo and research farms at the moment. Now with the new super EBI herd being set up now to investigate these things you'd have to wonder..

On topic
4.07 bfat
3.28 protein
Milk yield is down savage amounts and we're back up to 2.5kg of meal:thumbdown:

Dead link Martin.
Does seem strange considering there are a dozen demo and research farms at the moment. Now with the new super EBI herd being set up now to investigate these things you'd have to wonder..

Sorry:blushing:

The jist of it was lease a sheep farm and convert it to a low input 100 cow farm.

Cows going in tonight:crying:
rain.jpg

Yesterday:thumbup:

phone pics 014.jpg

26ltrs @ 3.89%fat and 3.56% protein

Today:thumbdown:

phone pics 015.jpg

Will have to wait to see what effect the silage will have on solids.

4.09 bfat
3.28 protein:sad:
2 litres up on 4kgs of meal (increase of 2.5kg means I'm not losing 15c/cow/day more than I was at the start of the year)
This feeding is for the cows really though, to keep them alive not for profit. The cows are grazing covers of 5-600 over two fields to slow down the rotation and extend it a bit, I have some 1500 covers but I'm waiting for some more favorable condition

Fat: 3.55%
Prot: 3.43%
Lac: 4.73%

Not great figures at all, esp that fat figure, its the lowest of all of ya here! We are feeding 4kg of nuts at the minute, up from 2kg in the good weather!

Fat: 3.55%
Prot: 3.43%
Lac: 4.73%

Not great figures at all, esp that fat figure, its the lowest of all of ya here! We are feeding 4kg of nuts at the minute, up from 2kg in the good weather!

I wouldn't be too annoyed at that considering your PR. What's your average litreage if you don't mind me asking?

thats not bad tim protien is very good if u give then acsess to long fibre such as straw or stemmy silage that will bring up the fat but dont overdo it as you will drop the protien
cows here gone back to 3.08 protien but fat gone up to 3.75 there getting 4kg in palour and baled silage letting them out everyday to a small bit of grass (wet farm)
weather would want to take up soon or i wont have enough milk for the cornflakes

Back