Milk solids

The heifers are milking 22 litres.
FAT = 3.84, PROTEIN = 3.61, SCC = 87, LACTOSE = 4.81
They are on 4.8kgs of nuts. Upped it from 3.2 this week with the cold weather. Grass is rank green and running through them. No fibre in it. Have got yeast included in the meal this time to try address the fat issue. Looks like the increased meal has added 2 litres to the milk so happy enough. They are gaining condition and the bulls look happy!

Lovely figures there do you put the SCC down to the new parlour ?

Yes. Not the machine's fault though, number of factors also compounded by the bad weather. Cows were being messed around with on/off Grazing with dirty conditions as we haven't auto scrapers in cubicles. Collection yard hasn't had the flush system working so we hadn't the yard up to a proper clean standard. We needed to change settings on the machine sooner than we did as it was taking clusters off a bit early (our own fault for not watching closely enough). An Irish supplier was meant to provide Waikato a compressor for commissioning the machine but they pissed around with the order which meant it wasn't there to have the teat sprayer working on time and it went a few weeks before it was up and running, it took a bit of adjustment to have the sprayer working correctly when we did get the compressor. As we failed to have water running sufficiently from the offset, cleanliness was an issue. With the additional workload, we were not keeping a good enough eye on the cows and we should have been checking them closer. The general stress of the Spring was another factor.

All in all, mostly our fault and we're getting on top of it now. Last test....156

Yes. Not the machine's fault though, number of factors also compounded by the bad weather. Cows were being messed around with on/off Grazing with dirty conditions as we haven't auto scrapers in cubicles. Collection yard hasn't had the flush system working so we hadn't the yard up to a proper clean standard. We needed to change settings on the machine sooner than we did as it was taking clusters off a bit early (our own fault for not watching closely enough). An Irish supplier was meant to provide Waikato a compressor for commissioning the machine but they pissed around with the order which meant it wasn't there to have the teat sprayer working on time and it went a few weeks before it was up and running, it took a bit of adjustment to have the sprayer working correctly when we did get the compressor. As we failed to have water running sufficiently from the offset, cleanliness was an issue. With the additional workload, we were not keeping a good enough eye on the cows and we should have been checking them closer. The general stress of the Spring was another factor.

All in all, mostly our fault and we're getting on top of it now. Last test....156

Good honest post there fair play

The heifers are milking 22 litres.
FAT = 3.84, PROTEIN = 3.61, SCC = 87, LACTOSE = 4.81
They are on 4.8kgs of nuts. Upped it from 3.2 this week with the cold weather. Grass is rank green and running through them. No fibre in it. Have got yeast included in the meal this time to try address the fat issue. Looks like the increased meal has added 2 litres to the milk so happy enough. They are gaining condition and the bulls look happy!
High nitrogen 2nd/3rd round short leafy grass and high in oil causes that. Not fully sure does yeast sort it but it can help. We often throw a bale of straw in the passage this time of the year and leave them poke away at it when they are passing, not sure does it help but they seem to nibble at a bit of it so probably no harm.

While we are being brutally honest with figures here, the scc hit like 750k here on me in late feb ughhh, one single bloody HO who was knocking out about 40l, and had bad mastitis in 2 spins. Got it down quick enough afterwards thankfully, and only a 100e or so slap on the wrist from Glanbia thankfully.

Doing about 25l, 3.83bf (just dropped from 4.25ish ugh) , 3.59p, still on 4kg of a nut with decent bit of hulls to help the fibre.

How are solids holding up for lads in the heat? Fat 4.01, protien 3.35, lac 4.73, scc 150, tbc 8. Cows averaging 23-24l on 3kg meal and 4 bale silage. Grass not tight yet but will be soon enough

Last edited:
23L, 3.37 P and 4.02 F, 5Kgs meal and around 4kgs dM of bales as of last nights collection. 80% spring 20% autumn calvers.
Milk Lorry driver told me last night volumes in the area have collapsed in the last 4 days. Not sure is it due to the heat or lack of forage.

23L, 3.37 P and 4.02 F, 5Kgs meal and around 4kgs dM of bales as of last nights collection. 80% spring 20% autumn calvers.
Milk Lorry driver told me last night volumes in the area have collapsed in the last 4 days. Not sure is it due to the heat or lack of forage.
I'd say lads not feeding enough. It mad cos we are up 1000l a collection on the same time as last year. Cows are horsin milk out

I'd say lads not feeding enough. It mad cos we are up 1000l a collection on the same time as last year. Cows are horsin milk out
I would class 23L as average enough really, couldn’t say they arwere horsing it out here but the main thing is they are holding. Protein is poor tho, shite quality grass is killing it.

24.8. Ltrs
4.01. Fat
3.56. Prot
200. Scc big jump in the last few days.
5 kg 14% nut
Plenty grass but it’s a small bit too short:sweat:

I would class 23L as average enough really, couldn’t say they arwere horsing it out here but the main thing is they are holding. Protein is poor tho, shite quality grass is killing it.
When 50 of the 135 cows are autumn Calvers and due to dry in the next few weeks I don't think it would be to bad

Litres holding at 20/21, heifers
Protein 3.7, fat 4.25, both up since feeding bales along the wire with the feeder. They were surplus in May. No surplus now. Growth very slow in the better places.
SCC around 70+

Pardon the expression but that is bs.grew 47 here and a top notch lads nxt to the college was back in the mid 30s.widely known that their figs are out the guts of 20%.some of our paddocks had 0 growth and more had 100.the college farm would burn easly their demand according to pasture Base today was in the 40s so they are horsing feed in .were bringing silage from moorepark in the spring at night so no one might cop it

Back