Mobile generator

Antares 130

My wee Yanmar engined 3.5kva genie has given up the ghost.

Fella working at her say it's terminal and not worth repairing.

Its a wee genie I bought about 10yrs ago for £100 so she stands me nothing. I use it to power the lights in a cattle house where there is no mains supply.

So I'm on the look out for a new genie.
Must be diesel, key start and minimum 3.5kva but would prefer 6-7.5kva. Is there any makes to buy or avoid? Or anyone put me in touch with someone in the north/border counties who deals in them?

Thanks in advance.

I'd stay with yanmar. Have a 7.2 kva one and it's done the world of work welding and grinding and touch wood it's been flawless. Miser on diesel too.

What would the pros and cons of a PTO genny be ?
I presume much more kva?

Not really interested in a Pto generator, ties up a tractor whilst another tractor is used to put in bales.. Not a sensible approach for my situation.

Probably would be more kva but I don't need it..

Damm right I'm staying away from Chinese tat although the way things are these days it's hard to do.

Get on the web and look at ex mod sales, they r usually selling countryman generators, disiel, go for ever, and can be serviced and have daily checks done by squaddies,,,, ( this is a good thing as squaddies are a bit bone when it comes to checking stuff like oil etc daily,,,) they will take some stick

Stephill genarator would be well regarded around here. Though talking with the fella that does my chasing and he uses a diesel loncin 6.5kva genarator and reckons they are good bang for your bucks

Thanks Arthur - something like that looks ideal - engine looks very like a Yanmar - just need to make sure it is a Yanmar.

Not wanting to upset anyone's plans but I was told once by a genny mechanic to avoid generators whose name ends the letters "ini", for example Ruggarini, Lombardini etc. Pacini might be no different...
Can't remember why, it just stuck with me. But they do seem affordable and might just be fine.
MF30

If that company are willing to stand over the machine and guarantee that spares will be available into the future then maybe its worth a punt, in fact I would want a guarantee that they will repair it themselves, because most repair guys wont touch the Chinese copies.

Slightly different but what about one of the older Lister generating sets? Very simple and no fancy electronics to go wrong.

We have a Lombardini here, must be a least twenty five years old.I wouldn’t be doing a lot but it never gave a bit of trouble. Would have no problem recommending one.

We have a Lombardini here, must be a least twenty five years old.I wouldn’t be doing a lot but it never gave a bit of trouble. Would have no problem recommending one.

Nearly sure that's what is fitted to the static McHale wrappers too and have heard no complaints.

Got sorted lads, bought a 5kva genie. It is a chinese copy of a Yanmar unfortunately but bought it of the original owner who used it for a house build, and that's all its done, at the money he was looking for it compared to new or genuine Yanmar engined genies, I couldn't not take a chance on it!

Looking at my old Yanmar engine, looks as if their a straight swap if anything ever goes wrong.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting a generator for the house for the odd power cut, also be useful for a few power tools away from the mains supply.

Looking at something like this which should power everything I think as long as the electric shower isn't on.
I haven't spoken to any dealers yet, anyone got one or have any opinions on them ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/new-6-5kva-generators-with-avr/19379105

https://www.pramac.com/product?id=2317&folder=72

Try Sean Cowhig of Clon Tool Hire
He has jefferson 7.5KVA for the same money , I got one earlier in the year , time of storm , working 100%

Try Sean Cowhig of Clon Tool Hire
He has jefferson 7.5KVA for the same money , I got one earlier in the year , time of storm , working 100%

Thanks, I'll check them out. Would Jefferson be well regarded as a brand ?

I've more or less decided to go with the Pramac. I did look at the Jefferson & a Loncin, both have higher output & are less money, the Loncin even has a 2 year warranty, both would probably be fine but in the long term if parts are ever needed I think the Pramac is probably a safer bet & the brand has a better reputation (for whatever that's worth)

I picked up a 32A inlet, socket & plug yesterday & spoke to an electrician this morning so hopefully it'll all be wired up & ready to connect a generator before it's needed.

I've more or less decided to go with the Pramac. I did look at the Jefferson & a Loncin, both have higher output & are less money, the Loncin even has a 2 year warranty, both would probably be fine but in the long term if parts are ever needed I think the Pramac is probably a safer bet & the brand has a better reputation (for whatever that's worth)

I picked up a 32A inlet, socket & plug yesterday & spoke to an electrician this morning so hopefully it'll all be wired up & ready to connect a generator before it's needed.

Bought a Pramac PX8000 from EPT in Carlow on Monday. It is on their website for €1,075 but got it for a bit less. Went with a Pramac as my brother bought a PX5000 last year and got on well with it.

Don't forget the changeover switch! As far as I know Loncin is closely related to Honda but most are copies either way.

Back