mobile phone

got myself moto defy yesterday , contract upgrade , 300 mins unlimited txt internet , free bt wi fi when avalable, insurance free phone for £28 a month 2 year contract
now i thought my samsung tocco was fairly up-to-date but these android phones are a different league compared to them , endless free apps you can download dont know how i managed without my torch, spirit level tape measure and all the other stuff ive been downloading all weekend , hardly spoke to other half all weekend ( she's no happy :whistling:) found a vbulleton app but not got it working right yet

had a job getting my contacts on to it , stuck a sim into old phone and bluetoothed them across but couldnt get them to ork so had to get them onto the sim card itself , then all my friends of faceache got onto it as well , and heres the good bit :blushing: some guy im friends with on face book who went to collage with my brother 20odd years ago , think ive met him once , he must have his phone no on his profile and i managed to ring it by mistake , then the screen changed and could i work out how to hang it up :no::no::no: . sent him a txt later apparently im not the first person to do it to him :lol:

got myself moto defy yesterday , contract upgrade , 300 mins unlimited txt internet , free bt wi fi when avalable, insurance free phone for £28 a month 2 year contract
now i thought my samsung tocco was fairly up-to-date but these android phones are a different league compared to them , endless free apps you can download dont know how i managed without my torch, spirit level tape measure and all the other stuff ive been downloading all weekend , hardly spoke to other half all weekend ( she's no happy :whistling:) found a vbulleton app but not got it working right yet

had a job getting my contacts on to it , stuck a sim into old phone and bluetoothed them across but couldnt get them to ork so had to get them onto the sim card itself , then all my friends of faceache got onto it as well , and heres the good bit :blushing: some guy im friends with on face book who went to collage with my brother 20odd years ago , think ive met him once , he must have his phone no on his profile and i managed to ring it by mistake , then the screen changed and could i work out how to hang it up :no::no::no: . sent him a txt later apparently im not the first person to do it to him :lol:
to be fair to the htc, it was simple to get the contacts transferred onto my phone, just switch on bluetooth on both phones and it transferred them all in a few seconds, which i thought wasnt bad for over 1k of numbers.

but yes, i know all too well how fond they are of making calls by accident, the very first thing that ever came up on my screen was " whats on your mind " and a prompt to facebook someone.:001_rolleyes:

Bloody'ell Tinny , you might have told be about the bluetooth thing . I've transferred all mine manually , an' a right old job it was too !!

Bloody'ell Tinny , you might have told be about the bluetooth thing . I've transferred all mine manually , an' a right old job it was too !!
oops, that would of been slow.

as the wise man once said, RTFM....:laugh:

tbh, i looked it up to see how it was done, one click and its away, tbh, i didnt think it would even work it was that fast, but it did, left all on my old phone and card too, it just made a copy of it.

Half thinking of going down the smartphone route and buying myself a Samsung galaxy SII on bill pay. Was in at Carphone Warehouse earlier. Don't know weather to stick with 02 or go to Vodafone. If I got a package that suited me for the money then I'd be sorted. Decisions, decisions :001_huh::001_huh:

EDIT: Is anyone on a bill pay plan with meteor?? And what do ye think of them.

Last edited:
Went and got the Samsung Galaxy SI instead as it looked a tidier phone. Got it free on 02 bill pay. Traded an old phone and got €40 for it so got accessories out of that. The Galaxy SII looks a very big phone so I didn't really fancy it then after looking at it a second time. The SI is more or less the same so will do me fine, probably the SII has more updates and the like but sur the SI is grand too. Just must get used to working it now. So used to nokias all my life :laugh:

What was wrong with your old one Mike :001_rolleyes: :lol:

Nokia 5140i - nearly going 6 years going and no sellotape yet :laugh:

What was wrong with your old one Mike :001_rolleyes: :lol:

Nokia 5140i - nearly going 6 years going and no sellotape yet :laugh:

Was getting shook. Just keep it as a spare and can always swap the sim over if its a thing that I'm doing certain work that may harm the new one. Have a strong flip case for the new one so it's well protected. Only thing now is to mind it :whistling:

There is an ad on the journal selling old phones like the 5140i and the 6310i for €100 or thereabouts. Often wondered about it, anyone used them?

Was getting shook. Just keep it as a spare and can always swap the sim over if its a thing that I'm doing certain work that may harm the new one. Have a strong flip case for the new one so it's well protected. Only thing now is to mind it :whistling:

There is an ad on the journal selling old phones like the 5140i and the 6310i for €100 or thereabouts. Often wondered about it, anyone used them?
had a 6310i for yrs, great phone at the time, but now a days its limited in what it can do.

this htc i have is a lug of a thing, but ive got used to it now.

re the different providers prices, are they not much of a muchness really.

had a 6310i for yrs, great phone at the time, but now a days its limited in what it can do.

this htc i have is a lug of a thing, but ive got used to it now.

re the different providers prices, are they not much of a muchness really.

Getting used to it now, the samsung. Nice responsive phone i must admit. Easy to text with too compared to the touchscreen nokia's I've had before.
Its big enough, but tidier than the SII version.

Yeah, stuck with 02 in the end. Seemed a better price plan than the vodafone equivalent. Suppose 02 have been ok as long as I've been with them so why change after.

This is it then? Looks a nice phone..

8ca5802242e52d378e97a47eaf29ec73-1-3-special-offer-on-our-samsung-galaxy-s11-factory.jpg

This is it then? Looks a nice phone..

8ca5802242e52d378e97a47eaf29ec73-1-3-special-offer-on-our-samsung-galaxy-s11-factory.jpg

Yep looks similar to that. :thumbup1: Nice phone indeed yes. Put a leather flip up case on it to protect it. Carphone warehouse do have a good selection I find. Better than the 02 shop I have found.

This is it. Same thing as your pic mike only the camera lens is to the side in mine. Galaxy S actually is what its called. :D My bad.

Samsung-i9001-galaxy-super-s-plus-with-amoled-screen.jpg

What price plan you get the samsung on mike d4d?

02 advance 250. €40 a month, but the phone was free so takes the sting out of it. Few of the lads in college bought the same phone and went to meteor bill pay. €30 a month. I'd prefer 02 as I've always been with them and anyways don't like meteor at all. Just something about them.
Nice phone, getting used to it, downloading app's and the like. :thumbup1:

02 advance 250. €40 a month, but the phone was free so takes the sting out of it. Few of the lads in college bought the same phone and went to meteor bill pay. €30 a month. I'd prefer 02 as I've always been with them and anyways don't like meteor at all. Just something about them.
Nice phone, getting used to it, downloading app's and the like. :thumbup1:

It's enough though, I was O2 and went meteor, quite competitive and good service, just pricing up a few different plans.

It's enough though, I was O2 and went meteor, quite competitive and good service, just pricing up a few different plans.

I know :sweatdrop: I can meet the bill payments every month, but yes its enough. Vodafone's similar plan was around the same. Mobile pay plans in this country are very expensive tbh. No real value out there.
Only gripe with the phone itself is that the battery life is very poor. Have to charge it every night. They are all that way now so six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I know :sweatdrop: I can meet the bill payments every month, but yes its enough. Vodafone's similar plan was around the same. Mobile pay plans in this country are very expensive tbh. No real value out there.
Only gripe with the phone itself is that the battery life is very poor. Have to charge it every night. They are all that way now so six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I'd agree there, you can get similar on meteor (200 minutes instead of 250 so a bit less) for €30 and a much bigger data package (1gb instead of 250mb) but also get free meteor calls and texts. It depends what your doing really. I'd possibly use internet more.

I've been waiting til it comes down near €20 but I might be waiting a while, €25 is the best I can do but that's at an 18 month contract so not sure yet.

I'd agree there, you can get similar on meteor (200 minutes instead of 250 so a bit less) for €30 and a much bigger data package (1gb instead of 250mb) but also get free meteor calls and texts. It depends what your doing really. I'd possibly use internet more.

I've been waiting til it comes down near €20 but I might be waiting a while, €25 is the best I can do but that's at an 18 month contract so not sure yet.

I've a 12 month contract which I prefer. Its hard to choose after, as one aspect will suit with one provider and will not suit with the other and vice versa.
I've budgeted for the year so will try and stay within that, by trying not to go over the with the texts. Minutes should be ok. The internet is used but I can use the wi-fi at home so that would spare the data amount.

I've a 12 month contract which I prefer. Its hard to choose after, as one aspect will suit with one provider and will not suit with the other and vice versa.
I've budgeted for the year so will try and stay within that, by trying not to go over the with the texts. Minutes should be ok. The internet is used but I can use the wi-fi at home so that would spare the data amount.

I'd prefer it too, be interesting to know last years prices, haven't looked into it a lot just yet.

A lot of places I go have wi-fi so I'd probably be ok on that front, and the places that have it are increasing all the time.

I'd prefer it too, be interesting to know last years prices, haven't looked into it a lot just yet.

A lot of places I go have wi-fi so I'd probably be ok on that front, and the places that have it are increasing all the time.

They are yes, I must try and tap into the college's wi-fi. The laptop is set up for it, but don't want to be dragging that about unless I need it.
One of the staff in 02 was saying that they are reviewing their price plans within the coming months so there could be some changes, I was enquiring about add-on's and what's out there. They cost extra so forget about that I'm thinking. He was also blowing about his fancy new Galaxy S11 phone and how it cost him €600. :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

They are yes, I must try and tap into the college's wi-fi. The laptop is set up for it, but don't want to be dragging that about unless I need it.
One of the staff in 02 was saying that they are reviewing their price plans within the coming months so there could be some changes, I was enquiring about add-on's and what's out there. They cost extra so forget about that I'm thinking. He was also blowing about his fancy new Galaxy S11 phone and how it cost him €600. :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

I might hold off til christmas or thereabouts we'll see.

€600 is steep for something that might get dropped in the mud :whistling:

I might hold off til christmas or thereabouts we'll see.

€600 is steep for something that might get dropped in the mud :whistling:

Don't think he'd be the type to be near mud :lol::laugh:
As for me, yes that would be a possibility. The flip over leather case is protecting mine so far. Only for it, the phone wouldn't last too long :001_unsure:

Back