Mower choices

I have the old pull type here, can't fault it really, never used any other makes to compare though. It does need a spool to lift but its not a problem, I've tee'd the lift pipe into the lift ram of the linkage, so it lifts the linkage first then the rams on the mower, have this on the black toggle so the joystick does the rear mower. i'd be more of a fan of the pull type for doing unknown ground, if you hit a object they tend to go back and up as they go over it.
https://classified.fwi.co.uk/details/Maehwerke/Krone-Easy-Cut-32-CV/4312898/

my one is the same as @Win works fine bought a few yrs back for small money
33577301_2159547164062669_2381825756683567104_n.jpg

Almost seems too cheap, Your solely reliant on the float of the linkage for any independent movement to the tractor with that type, probably works fine though. Think i'd still prefer to have the mower pulled all the same. It don't look to have done much by looks of the discs, not seen many concrete blocks anyway!
I've used both the push and pull types and would prefer the pull type. the push type has a habit of digging into easy

Is it possible to get a MOD to put quick attach blades on john deere mowers
Is it that much of an issue? Would ya be changin blades often. Having worked both, the quick is obviously quicker but ya lose more blades and id rarely have to change a blade as it is.

Is it that much of an issue? Would ya be changin blades often. Having worked both, the quick is obviously quicker but ya lose more blades and id rarely have to change a blade as it is.
Ah just if you were in stoney ground say I was unlucky so far with it bending blades down

I got offered a Vicon 440 (?) mounted mower today. It’s a 2019 demo machine and the money is small. Anybody have experience of them?

I got offered a Vicon 440 (?) mounted mower today. It’s a 2019 demo machine and the money is small. Anybody have experience of them?
We have a vicon 8ft disc mower that has cut 3000 acres in the last 20 years. The only ever issue with it was the first round of the field on the day that we bought it when we hit a stone and broke a bearing in one of the discs. Don't know what the build is like in the new ones, but the old ones were a hood mower.

Would be the same as the kverneland mower as @Arthur mentioned apart from the disc. Kverneland went through a bad phase back in the mid 00’s but really seem to have got there act together. I have a 3336( I think )mower conditioner that was 4 seasons old when I bought it last season. It’s 3.6 m . Very good mower and does excellent work , it was actually in for a recall over the winter for bushing and a gearbox mounting point I think, I thought this was very good backup for a mower pushing 5 years old.

Would be the same as the kverneland mower as @Arthur mentioned apart from the disc. Kverneland went through a bad phase back in the mid 00’s but really seem to have got there act together. I have a 3336( I think )mower conditioner that was 4 seasons old when I bought it last season. It’s 3.6 m . Very good mower and does excellent work , it was actually in for a recall over the winter for bushing and a gearbox mounting point I think, I thought this was very good backup for a mower pushing 5 years old.
I just looked at the quote he gave me and the mower is a Vicon Extra 440H with hydraulic float control. Is yours the same?
Does it float and follow contours well?

What’s it like to cut grass that’s sown to the ground? ( I’ve a lot of clover to cut. It grows about 3-4’ high and falls over like lodged spring oats!)
Is it noisy?
Does it cut well at 20+ kph?
Is it well balanced and stable when turning at the headlands?
Does it clog-up/bulldoze when finishing a land? (When you’ve only a 1m strip left to cut with mown grass on both sides iykwim).

Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:
I just looked at the quote he gave me and the mower is a Vicon Extra 440H with hydraulic float control. Is yours the same?
Does it float and follow contours well?

What’s it like to cut grass that’s sown to the ground? ( I’ve a lot of clover to cut. It grows about 3-4’ high and falls over like lodged spring oats!)
Is it noisy?
Does it cut well at 20+ kph?
Is it well balanced and stable when turning at the headlands?
Does it clog-up/bulldoze when finishing a land? (When you’ve only a 1m strip left to cut with mown grass on both sides iykwim).

Sorry for all the questions!
Mine has the hydraulic float which works very well. . Wet cut some rough ground and it follows the ground very well. It will peel lodged grass but like any mower have to go a little slower. We cut in heavy crops at 15/16km.Doesn’t drag when cutting a strip.mine has a conditioner so is heavy, we have it on the 6175 or 6195 so no issue with weight on headland turns. Doesn’t make any more noise than any other mower I’ve heard running.
if it’s a demo mower would he sell it on the condition that you demo it and are happy you’d buy it ? Mine is the Kv version but everything is the same except the discs but I remember asking at events before about the difference and being told that both cut the same

Mine has the hydraulic float which works very well. . Wet cut some rough ground and it follows the ground very well. It will peel lodged grass but like any mower have to go a little slower. We cut in heavy crops at 15/16km.Doesn’t drag when cutting a strip.mine has a conditioner so is heavy, we have it on the 6175 or 6195 so no issue with weight on headland turns. Doesn’t make any more noise than any other mower I’ve heard running.
if it’s a demo mower would he sell it on the condition that you demo it and are happy you’d buy it ? Mine is the Kv version but everything is the same except the discs but I remember asking at events before about the difference and being told that both cut the same
Many thanks.
I’ll ask for a demo with a view to buy. The dealer is about 100km from me though. The salesman said yesterday that there’s a slight weep from the gearbox on top of the top hat, so it’ll have to go into the workshop to be repaired...bit soon to be getting repaired though.

Many thanks.
I’ll ask for a demo with a view to buy. The dealer is about 100km from me though. The salesman said yesterday that there’s a slight weep from the gearbox on top of the top hat, so it’ll have to go into the workshop to be repaired...bit soon to be getting repaired though.

I have a friend that bought a new trailed kverneland mower and he . had to have a bearing replaced in the first season. Does a lovely job mowing, much better than the JD 1365 it replaced. Seems to leave the grass in a more even spread with no hump in the middle.

I let the Vicon after me because he wouldn’t fix the oil weep nor give me a guarantee.

I’ll go for a new 4m.
Choices are;
1. Krone Easy Cut R400. Base model, no conditioner. Mechanical float with springs. €11750.

2. Kubota DM3340. Base model. Hydraulic float. €11000.

3. Vicon 440H. Base model. Hydraulic float. €10999.

Mowers are listed in no order of preference.
The dealers are within 20km. The Kubota and Vicon have 3yrs warranty and Krone only give a years warranty.

Thoughts?

Back