Mucky Manor Pics

Great to hear of a bit of progress.
Heavy ground here too and we are really struggling this "summer"
The big issue with draining the land around here is that you get a great improvement for a few years after you do the work,but if it gets poached a bit it quickly reverts back to its former state.

Sometimes you have to make a quick decision and you hope and pray that it's a good one and sometimes it's a great one.

This time last year our lm bull turned out to be infertile. He was my own breeding and it turned outo to be a pure disaster when he moved to my wife's place. After cows repeating twice we knew that we had a problem. It's hard to find a good bull at this time of year and our funds were limited. A simmental fitted into our plans and we found a nice 3 star and dI'd the deal. He was a high 3 star , almost 4. In the back end his evaluation went up to 4 star and in the last evaluation he went up to 5 star. He bulled 5 cows the first week and we have 11 calves off him now. This is the quality and colour that he is bringing. Fine calf for just 5 weeks old.

20160713_065705_zps8dps8nwd.jpg

Sometimes you have to make a quick decision and you hope and pray that it's a good one and sometimes it's a great one.

This time last year our lm bull turned out to be infertile. He was my own breeding and it turned outo to be a pure disaster when he moved to my wife's place. After cows repeating twice we knew that we had a problem. It's hard to find a good bull at this time of year and our funds were limited. A simmental fitted into our plans and we found a nice 3 star and dI'd the deal. He was a high 3 star , almost 4. In the back end his evaluation went up to 4 star and in the last evaluation he went up to 5 star. He bulled 5 cows the first week and we have 11 calves off him now. This is the quality and colour that he is bringing. Fine calf for just 5 weeks old.

I wouldn't be in any way knowledgeable about livestock but that looks like a fine calf to me. I hope that bull sires many of them or better.

Nice when something like that works out well in the long run. He should go well (replacement wise) with some of the shorthorns you mentioned about before :Thumbp2:

20160729_165829_zpsjsyijtuc.jpg

The 5030 earning her keep on the bog today. Really happy with her. Want another one for the home farm.

Shit load of turf brought off the bog in bags and in the inlaws shed. Will draw them home over the next few weeks with the cattle trailer and jeep when I am over to move stock. But the turf is safe for now.

After a very busy summer I finally feel like I am getting on top of things now. Topping and spraying rushes are the next things on my list for the next 6 weeks. My day job is really interfering with my farming.

Last edited:

The 5030 earning her keep on the bog today. Really happy with her. Want another one for the home farm.

Shit load of turf brought off the bog in bags and in the inlaws shed. Will draw them home over the next few weeks with the cattle trailer and jeep when I am over to move stock. But the turf is safe for now.

After a very busy summer I finally feel like I am getting on top of things now. Topping and spraying rushes are the next things on my list for the next 6 weeks. My day job is really interfering with my farming.

The farming will really "interfere" with your bank balance though.

As they say mucky "takes a good job to run a farm"

20160922_192842_zpswmzjee2g.jpg

Currently feeding this and transitioning them onto straight rolled barley. It comprises of:

50% rolled barley
25% weinling crunch (half ton left in the meal loft so mixing it in)
25% soya bean

There's also a shake of minerals mixed with each bucket. It's my first time to try young cattle on straights so it's a bit of trial and error.
They have been on it for the last 3 weeks and they have done quite well to the eye. We weighed them during the week and they are doing much better than expected considering the year that was in it. Have a target of putting 40kg on them over the next 50 days and then they will be going. They will be sold directly off the farm to an exporter at a price / kg. Have lots of grass, it's only a matter of keeping them moving and hoping that october is a small bit generous to us with weather. They are getting through the wetter ground first and I have about 3 weeks worth of feeding on drier raised bog ground that will see them out safely. They have been getting 2 kg/head for the last 3 weeks, slowly building up the barley and they will be getting 3kg after this. That will be pretty much ad lib as they struggle to eat the 2kg/head as it is.

This was the first thing I ever welded and it has served me for almost 20 years now. Its an old square diesel tank with a hopper and trough inside. It can be filled from the top. Cost about €150 in total to make and is as good today as the first day.

20160922_192940_zpscleyxns4.jpg

20161007_123243_zpsmshm91dz.jpg

We have about 20 acres of this type of ground in the mrs' place. It really has not been utilised for the last 10 years. This particular field only had a few cows in it twice this year. I set about topping it all off over the last few weeks with the intention of spraying the rushes when they regrow in spring. It's not a bad type of ground if it was fertilized and clean grazed. I recon it would finish a few bullocks and I hope to find out next year!

20161007_123243_zpsmshm91dz.jpg

We have about 20 acres of this type of ground in the mrs' place. It really has not been utilised for the last 10 years. This particular field only had a few cows in it twice this year. I set about topping it all off over the last few weeks with the intention of spraying the rushes when they regrow in spring. It's not a bad type of ground if it was fertilized and clean grazed. I recon it would finish a few bullocks and I hope to find out next year!
Looks good mucky, I have made fine land out of allot worse starting point

indexshare.php
Bull got most of the heifers the same week. It has certainly been busy and as always heifers are more work than cows. One yesterday had a calf coming backwards and it was a tidy pull. He is still being syringe fed as his sick is poor but he's improving.

Went to feed the calf at 12 last night and this lad was running around. Mother showed no signs of calving and has a small bag of milk but he is constantly sucking and this should bring her to her milk. she is off a very milky cow and her full sister is one of the best cows we have.

Attachments

• 20161112_231442.jpg
    20161112_231442.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 57
indexshare.php
Bull got most of the heifers the same week. It has certainly been busy and as always heifers are more work than cows. One yesterday had a calf coming backwards and it was a tidy pull. He is still being syringe fed as his sick is poor but he's improving.

Went to feed the calf at 12 last night and this lad was running around. Mother showed no signs of calving and has a small bag of milk but he is constantly sucking and this should bring her to her milk. she is off a very milky cow and her full sister is one of the best cows we have.

Thats where the real work is.

20161115_195134.jpg

Made my day to see this lad up and sucking this morning. This heifer is third generation on my farm and my father had her great grandmother. She's a ptx off a ch cow. Off bzb. She has both a high maternal figure and a high terminal figure. She also has a twin sister that calved 3 days before her.

Is that a passageway or an unused lie back area that you have there Mucky?

I see you didn't get the back window for the tractor yet :laugh:

Is that a passageway or an unused lie back area that you have there Mucky?

I see you didn't get the back window for the tractor yet :laugh:

It's a 14ft creep at the back. The calves access it from 2 of the pens and have a straw bed.

Different plan for next year. Have fields around the shed so will have the cows and calves in the pens where the tractor is and allow them go out and strip graze the fields over winter. It wI'll save on straw and they should thrive better.

No window yet. It's frighteningly expensive compared to glass for the 10 series even though it's a more basic glass. Its even more expensive than rear glass for our t5050. Have it sourced in the uk for 80 euro less than the best price here Inc shipping so just waiting for them to have it in stock which should be in the next week or 2.

Good pics mucky ,is that the work of a bale splitter ?
Yea it's the bale splitter. I put in bales only twice a week and try to put in the bulk of the bales on a Friday so sometimes I have half a bale on top of another and it looks a bit lumpy. But it means that I only have to push in the silage with the splitter on Monday, and top it up with a bale or 2 on Wednesday. It looks rough but it's convenient and they don't leave any waste.

We have a lame cow that did not do well in the last few months. She's old and we planned to sell her as a cull as soon as she calves. We gave her a lump of salt 10 days ago and this is what she had left today. Testing in a few weeks so will get blood taken. Never saw one single animal lick so much.

20170122_120420.jpg

Back