Neighbour looking to take silage ground

HEX Heifer

Hi I have a neighbour looking to take 20 acres of silage ground. It was reseeded last year and got 3 bags cut sward per acre.

What do i charge him. I'm not looking to rob him, want to be fair.

Hi I have a neighbour looking to take 20 acres of silage ground. It was reseeded last year and got 3 bags cut sward per acre.

The fert cost plus 10 a acre for the grass?

Bale it urself and sell him the bales?
Or is it pit?
Can he return muck or fert?

I was asked 200 for similar grass yesterday, needless to say, I said - I would think about it........

10 to 12 a bale around here, so if you average around 10 bales a acre 120 per acre wud be fair. But u cud charge a bit more cus it's new grass. If he spread a load of slurry an acre afterwards wud 100 be a fair price.

10 to 12 a bale around here, so if you average around 10 bales a acre 120 per acre wud be fair. But u cud charge a bit more cus it's new grass. If he spread a load of slurry an acre afterwards wud 100 be a fair price.

he's five miles away, into the pit with a wagon, not keen on drawing slurry.

To be far its super grass.

do the maths.

3 bags of cut sward doesnt cover the offtake of first cut, 4 is even marginal. costs time and money to spread the fertiliser too.

how often is productive silage ground being reseeded? 5-7 years. divide the cost of that and lime and maybe a spray for weeds over the years and add it on

then what about the value of the asset? the land. it's worth X per annum to rent, but only grows appreciable amounts of grass for lets say .75 of the year, and that growth isnt in a flat line over the year, the best 2 months are april and may so a weighted rental value of around 25% of annual rent.

They're all the costs, add them all up and how much of a margin is there at €160 an acre?

Someone is been robbed there and it ain’t the landowner.

What would silage cost you if ,
To have rented the land @ say €220 per acre , fertiliser it with the 3 bags of 24/2.5/10 per acre , and paid for cutting it ?
It's not dear in the scheme of things at 160 an acre .
I gave a lad €10 A bale last year for 45 bales and get it baled myself . It got no fertiliser . He had to get cash for it . He never asked would i be interested in it this year .
Another lad asked me €5 , but old grass and got 2 bags cut sward acre . I gave him 8. He was happy , so was I

Last edited:
whao there, if land is 200 to rent, so lets say 70 plus fert 60 plus slurry 20 plus rolling plus fert spreading 20, thats 170 in actual cost. 30 quid an acre profit? not too much willie waving there.
If you can get 20 an acre for rolling and 20 an acre to spread fert I don’t think you should be farming but contracting.

€100an acre + fert costs used to be the go around here, gone to €130-150 + fert costs now, a friend gave €215 (incl fert) last weekend, I don’t get how lads think they should get it on the cheap, it’s hard on ground, you could be left with it as easy as anything on a year it’s plentiful.

whao there, if land is 200 to rent, so lets say 70 plus fert 60 plus slurry 20 plus rolling plus fert spreading 20, thats 170 in actual cost. 30 quid an acre profit? not too much willie waving there.
im not talking about the seller willy waving, more so the buyer willy waving with the inefficiencies of scale than mean they pay 200 and plus for a cut of silage

Back