Netbook??

Ó hÉidin

I am after a cheap but decent enough netbook.

i have laptop but would like to keep from using it as its big, and slowly but surely getting slower, i guess to have a decent netbook would be more useful.

looking at something with a 100+ gig H/D . . . . ram and processor not as important, main uses will be itunes and web browsing.

would like to go for a refurb as you seem to get a good spec with reasonable dollar attached, something like the following

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Mini-Note-...tZUK_Computing_Laptops_EH?hash=item1c10c38a2f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-NC10-...tZUK_Computing_Laptops_EH?hash=item27af76b7ae

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-MINI-10-...tZUK_Computing_Laptops_EH?hash=item1c103b335e

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MSI-WIND-U130...tZUK_Computing_Laptops_EH?hash=item53dfebca1f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toshiba-NB100...tZUK_Computing_Laptops_EH?hash=item3a588fd466

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-HP-MINI-...tZUK_Computing_Laptops_EH?hash=item1c102791bf

my preferred . . .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Mini-110-1...tZUK_Computing_Laptops_EH?hash=item335ab6a405

any thoughts, advice or good 'go to' places . . . or models to consider . . .

thanks in advance.

Have a Samsung N130 for work when out and about. Its been pretty good with the battery lasting 4 hours or more. Mainly use it for typing things up and phaffing about on the net. Touch pad can throw a wobbler and zoom in /out on the page now and again rather than move the mouse but other than that no complaints and a brand new one is about £230. Worth getting a wireles mouse for when at a table.

Merv

I bought a medion one from Aldi ,10 in ,1gb ram and 250gb hard drive ,windows 7 starter etc £259 and thats with a 3 year warranty
sems quite good but not done much with it yet ,only got it on sunday

I bought a medion one from Aldi ,10 in ,1gb ram and 250gb hard drive ,windows 7 starter etc £259 and thats with a 3 year warranty
sems quite good but not done much with it yet ,only got it on sunday

what is windows 7 starter??

just an entry level package??

No don't do it, that Netbook will be binned within a year..

Firstly the keyboard will have you frustated.... then the screen...

The problem is many programs, even internet based flash software is relatively power Hungary under an OS, the small single cored processors these machines run to keep the prices low, full apart once more than a couple of things are trying to run, put something like AVG antivirus on there, and once a scan starts the OS just crashes.....

If you want I tunes and web browsing get an Iphone, they can do the job much much better....

No don't do it, that Netbook will be binned within a year..

Firstly the keyboard will have you frustated.... then the screen...

The problem is many programs, even internet based flash software is relatively power Hungary under an OS, the small single cored processors these machines run to keep the prices low, full apart once more than a couple of things are trying to run, put something like AVG antivirus on there, and once a scan starts the OS just crashes.....

If you want I tunes and web browsing get an Iphone, they can do the job much much better....

I have an iPhone. That's part of the reason drivng the need for a netbook.

I have an iPhone. That's part of the reason drivng the need for a netbook.

then honestly stick with that, at least for the time being.... most netbooks run browsing and apps SLOWER than the iphone or ipad.... they really need to be a couple of hundred quid more expensive and have a duo core processor and some decent graphics acceleration, on XP there better, on Vista which needs at least 1GB just for OS they really are hopeless, problem is if there more cash they miss the market, and come up against real laptops..

then honestly stick with that, at least for the time being.... most netbooks run browsing and apps SLOWER than the iphone or ipad.... they really need to be a couple of hundred quid more expensive and have a duo core processor and some decent graphics acceleration, on XP there better, on Vista which needs at least 1GB just for OS they really are hopeless, problem is if there more cash they miss the market, and come up against real laptops..

been mulling this over for a while, i have the iphone and whilst its ok for an emergency browser, its hard work to use all the time.

i have been thinking about the comments re. single core processor, is there any netbook which offers a processor other than the 'atom'??

been mulling this over for a while, i have the iphone and whilst its ok for an emergency browser, its hard work to use all the time.

i have been thinking about the comments re. single core processor, is there any netbook which offers a processor other than the 'atom'??

New atom series are much better afaik.

i have a (or should i say, had) a hp laptop, not a net book i know but similar lines, its about two yrs old now, a few months ago the hard drive crashed, taking all with it:angry:.
it was never backed up as there wasnt that much on it to begin with.
so a new hard drive wasnt a problem, but having to buy a new operating system is the reason im not going to fix it, 350 of them to be precise!!.

i mean, WTF, i can buy a whole netbook with an OS on it for the same money???.

it just dont make sense to me.
im throwing out a perfectly good laptop just to replace it with another one.
not a very green plan to me.

so ill wait n see what comes up here before i take the plunge i think.

i have a (or should i say, had) a hp laptop, not a net book i know but similar lines, its about two yrs old now, a few months ago the hard drive crashed, taking all with it:angry:.
so a new hard drive wasnt a problem, but having to buy a new operating system is the reason im not going to fix it, 350 of them to be precise!!.

search ebay, you could buy xp discs for less small money i should think!!

these look to be good value.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180511354786&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I still like my samsung and have now discovered that pressing F11 means the web page or whatever can fill the screen and the toolbars disappear. Press it again and they come back if you need the various functions. I like my netbook even more now.

I still like my samsung and have now discovered that pressing F11 means the web page or whatever can fill the screen and the toolbars disappear. Press it again and they come back if you need the various functions. I like my netbook even more now.

i like the dell one as i could then buy a '3' pay as you go sim card and have mobile broadband integrated for emergencies.

the samsung does get good reviews, been reccomended the N220 by a lot of people but its too strong on the money.

Just because you lost your HD doesn't mean you lost your windows license. There should be a sticker on the lappy somewhere with the license number. You just need a copy of the CD. Plenty of them around.

got the bro to look at that machine, he says its not bad for what it is, says it would be better with 2G of ram and he would be thinkin ya would be installing the 2G not long after buying it.

as you prob know he says the net book is built more for portability than performance, kind of reverse to a laptop you could say.

all in all he says its not bad for the money.

he did comment on the strange fact that it was described as used but near new, what were they at with it, or was it a faulty one that was repaired, it dose say a demo model, but who knows with e bay.
hsellers feed back is good tho.

hope this helps in some way.

Just because you lost your HD doesn't mean you lost your windows license. There should be a sticker on the lappy somewhere with the license number. You just need a copy of the CD. Plenty of them around.
point taken, it came with vista which we all know has its moments:001_rolleyes:, it had one or two too many for me and i got the bro to wipe it and install windows xp.

was just chattin him and we decided to put vista back on it to see if it behaves, if not, im not out anything more than time really.

cheers for that.

point taken, it came with vista which we all know has its moments:001_rolleyes:, it had one or two too many for me and i got the bro to wipe it and install windows xp.

was just chattin him and we decided to put vista back on it to see if it behaves, if not, im not out anything more than time really.

cheers for that.

glad you pointed that out, i mis-read it as saying it had 2gb of ram!!

Back