New 20' Grain Trailer

Thanks for all the advice guys..

Regarding the weight limits under the new RSA rules. If a trailer is on springs and has a tyre width of more than 500mm then the gross weight limit allowed for the trailer is 23 tonnes (10 tonne per axle and 3 tonne on the drawbar). If the trailer weighs approx 5.2 - 5.5 tonnes then the maximum grain allowed will be approx 17.5 - 17.8 tonnes.

What sort of load weights are you guys typically taking when drawing corn in 20 foot grain trailers? It would be unlikely to ever be over 17 tonne would it?

Regarding the weight limits under the new RSA rules. If a trailer is on springs and has a tyre width of more than 500mm then the gross weight limit allowed for the trailer is 23 tonnes (10 tonne per axle and 3 tonne on the drawbar). If the trailer weighs approx 5.2 - 5.5 tonnes then the maximum grain allowed will be approx 17.5 - 17.8 tonnes.

What sort of load weights are you guys typically taking when drawing corn in 20 foot grain trailers? It would be unlikely to ever be over 17 tonne would it?

the tri axle broughans 24ft with silage sides can bring 30tonne of wheat :eek3: wouldnt like to be pulled over with that load:stop:

Apparently they can operate at 24 ton gross provided they are plated, fitted with flexible suspension and flotation tyres of at least 500mm , braking specifications would be dependant on the max speed rating, it would be a mistake to buy a new trailer that didn't meet these requirements.

My understanding is that you would also need ball & spoon hitch to go up to 24 tonne gross.

My understanding is that you would also need ball & spoon hitch to go up to 24 tonne gross.
That is true, also the ball and spoon only qualifies for the extra ton if the rest of the tractor hitch is rated for it so it's not as simple as changing the PU hook for a ball coupling.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehic...Agricultural-Vehicles/Weights-and-Dimensions/
An awful lot of misinformation being knocked around about these. Be an idea to refer to the actual rules before scaring the jaysus out of lads. If you've springs and a plate the trailer can gross 21 t at the normal axle space. Flotations another 2t.
Tractors are 40k so the existing breakaway chain will do. If went to a 50k tractor air would be the cheapest way around the breakaway requirements.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehic...Agricultural-Vehicles/Weights-and-Dimensions/
An awful lot of misinformation being knocked around about these. Be an idea to refer to the actual rules before scaring the jaysus out of lads. If you've springs and a plate the trailer can gross 21 t at the normal axle space. Flotations another 2t.
Tractors are 40k so the existing breakaway chain will do. If went to a 50k tractor air would be the cheapest way around the breakaway requirements.

Now that you mention breakaway chain, what size chain do you think would be required to hold a load of 21 tonnes that you mention? My view is that using a chain that is rated for 21 tonne wouldn't suffice because that rating is for a static load. The breakaway chain would need to be of far greater load rating because it will need to withstand a shock loading in the unfortunate event of the towing mechanism failing. This page mentions 4 times the S.W.L. of the chain http://www.chainandrope.ie/products/chains/safely-and-tow-chains.html
In the case of the 21 tonne trailer going by that criteria then an 84 tonne rated chain would be required, would this be physically too big in that it would be very awkward to be attaching?
Another point on breakaway chains is attachment to the tractor, again using the figure of 21 tonnes, how would a chain be attached to the tractor so that the tractor wouldn't be pulled apart in the event of the hitch failing and the shock load being transferred to the chain?

20ft braughan with 6 ft sided brings 19/20 tonne of barely when fully loaded and 24/25 of wheat . If filled to water level I think you would be around the legal weight with barley .

Mostly Broughan around here with a few Smyths.

Gillespie trailers are another option. Know of two and apparently they are a good trailer.

Hi,
I have an 18ft broughan with 5ft sides, most I got in it was 14.7 tonne of barley (typical load would be just over 14). I've never weighted the trailer by itself, plate says it weighs 5000kg, ts 115 with 450kg weights and it weigh in at just over 10 tonne, so I'd say not far off 5 tonne, trailer has 18R tyres so limited to 21 tonne gross.

would want steering axel ?

Mostly Broughan around here with a few Smyths.

Gillespie trailers are another option. Know of two and apparently they are a good trailer.

Gillespie used to make a lovely trailer alright. Very nice to pull on the road compared to the Dooley trailer.

I dont think Gillespie make them anymore

I think they've stopped making them alright.

The broghans bring a fair load. The lads I work with bought a 20 ft one last year and she holds 20 ton of barley. It has the ball and spoon hitch and imo it's a great job it's very smooth and steady on the road compared to the pick up hitch. The walkway on the front is a great job on them as is the hydraulic tailboard but it's a bit awkward when your tipping in a bay or into a hopper. The wiring on them could have being done a bit better on them as it gave trouble not long after getting it and had to be rewired. But since it came the other trailers have being parked up.IMAG1103.jpg View attachment 35828

Gillespie is still around but not making big trailers, doing more custom sorta yokes and repair work I think! Awful pity as they were great trailers. Think it's a case that the rest are so tooled up in the manufacture process compared to him that he just couldn't compete so doesn't...

Gillespie is still around but not making big trailers, doing more custom sorta yokes and repair work I think! Awful pity as they were great trailers. Think it's a case that the rest are so tooled up in the manufacture process compared to him that he just couldn't compete so doesn't...
I presume the same could be said for Lee Trailers, they were very popular one time, but its a long time time since a new one was seen around here.

The broghans bring a fair load. The lads I work with bought a 20 ft one last year and she holds 20 ton of barley. It has the ball and spoon hitch and imo it's a great job it's very smooth and steady on the road compared to the pick up hitch. The walkway on the front is a great job on them as is the hydraulic tailboard but it's a bit awkward when your tipping in a bay or into a hopper. The wiring on them could have being done a bit better on them as it gave trouble not long after getting it and had to be rewired. But since it came the other trailers have being parked up.View attachment 35827 View attachment 35828

whats the central division for Peter? Fine trailer. Does the roll over cover cost much more?

whats the central division for Peter? Fine trailer. Does the roll over cover cost much more?

He sells meal aswell so he's able to draw 2 different types of meal in the trailer and keep them separate. I don't know much on the figures of the trailer.

I presume the same could be said for Lee Trailers, they were very popular one time, but its a long time time since a new one was seen around here.

I didn't know Dermot wasn't making any more Gillespie trailers, always thought them to be a lovely job right throughout the years.

Paddy Lee is still making trailers and at least looking for commissions but as you say Mike the business would be small compared to previously. I think they do a few refurbs now too.

Back