New 20' Grain Trailer

I didn't know Dermot wasn't making any more Gillespie trailers, always thought them to be a lovely job right throughout the years.

Paddy Lee is still making trailers and at least looking for commissions but as you say Mike the business would be small compared to previously. I think they do a few refurbs now too.

There's still a few Lee trailers knocking around here. They where all over the place one time.

Met 4 new 20 foot broughans being towed by 2 john deeres in stradbally on Saturday morning heading portlaoise direction. The tractors were towing 2 each. Someone has spent big on trailers

Met 4 new 20 foot broughans being towed by 2 john deeres in stradbally on Saturday morning heading portlaoise direction. The tractors were towing 2 each. Someone has spent big on trailers
One of the big Cork dealers buys 4 at a time and brings them down that way on a Saturday.

These 4 left for cork and Saturday too. Seems to be a lot of them heading that direction

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    545.7 KB · Views: 120
Local silage contractor has apparently bought a new Broughan for this season, always been Kane or Redrock up to now, it will be interesting to see if he goes all Carlow trailers in the coming years.

According to their Facebook page they were 18fts heading to tipp

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    671.6 KB · Views: 69
They going to McCarthy plant and agri sales in cork.

McCarthys have 4 extra new 20's in their yard this morning. This is in addition to the 3 new ones that are there already. Green, red, blue. All 20fts, silage sides, air brakes and hydraulic doors.
He sells a lot of stuff.

McCarthys have 4 extra new 20's in their yard this morning. This is in addition to the 3 new ones that are there already. Green, red, blue. All 20fts, silage sides, air brakes and hydraulic doors.
He sells a lot of stuff.
The green one would look nice behind the jd don't you think .

The lads that do the maize here have 3 22ft broughans since last year and they bought another this year, by far the most popular trailer down this side

The 20ft Broughan Mega-HiSpeed do seem to be very popular. A few I managed to capture last year
21976760656_c5a6be23e8_c.jpg

21551340144_1394b6398c_c.jpg

22283794409_3827413804_c.jpg

22771034101_bf7f8f8169_c.jpg

A few Tri-Axels around as well
23086857709_9b8b9241e6_c.jpg

21352958814_3f9a9be699_c.jpg

Now that you mention breakaway chain, what size chain do you think would be required to hold a load of 21 tonnes that you mention? My view is that using a chain that is rated for 21 tonne wouldn't suffice because that rating is for a static load. The breakaway chain would need to be of far greater load rating because it will need to withstand a shock loading in the unfortunate event of the towing mechanism failing. This page mentions 4 times the S.W.L. of the chain http://www.chainandrope.ie/products/chains/safely-and-tow-chains.html
In the case of the 21 tonne trailer going by that criteria then an 84 tonne rated chain would be required, would this be physically too big in that it would be very awkward to be attaching?
Another point on breakaway chains is attachment to the tractor, again using the figure of 21 tonnes, how would a chain be attached to the tractor so that the tractor wouldn't be pulled apart in the event of the hitch failing and the shock load being transferred to the chain?
Cant understand this either.
what good is the chain if the weld holding on the end is shite.
Onto the top link pin is dangerous imo it could easily pull out of the back end.
I reckon the best way to do it is bolt two plates onto the hitch bolts at the rear with two loops welded to the plates put the chain in the loops and onto the bottom of the drawbar

I sent away for the RSA booklet and it gives a picture on page 38 of the type of attachment chain required . A secondary coupling is not required if the trailer is equipped with a breakaway brake .
The Minimum strength of the chain must be equal to the gross weight of the trailer being drawn . Consult the vehicle manufacturer or the chain supplier for advice on the type of chain you need .
I have gone through the book with a Hi Lighter so it is easy to scan back through it to clarify details .

In my opinion the chain would only need to be as strong as the weight of the tractor because if the trailer is 18 tonnes and the tractor is seven the weight that can be put on a static load is seven . If the trailer stopped it would make no difference if it was 18 tonnes or 100 tonnes the tractor is still only seven tonnes hanging on the end of the chain . It would take an anchor chain to hang onto the tractor if the trailer stopped and the tractor was doing 40K weighing 7 tonnes .

I sent away for the RSA booklet and it gives a picture on page 38 of the type of attachment chain required . A secondary coupling is not required if the trailer is equipped with a breakaway brake .
The Minimum strength of the chain must be equal to the gross weight of the trailer being drawn . Consult the vehicle manufacturer or the chain supplier for advice on the type of chain you need .
I have gone through the book with a Hi Lighter so it is easy to scan back through it to clarify details .

When they stop You on the side of the road Bog Man they'll be getting back in their car pretty quickly......:smile:

Back