New dairy entrants

Discussion in 'Stock Talk' started by 1Farmer1, Feb 10, 2019.

1. 1Farmer1

1Farmer1 Well-Known Member

Any new dairy entrants a couple of years in care to share their experience so far.....how are ye finding milking twice a day , lifestyle changes etc... do ye find yourselves with less/more time than the previous farming enterprise ye were in....I know money isn't everything but with the hammering beef and tillage has received in the last few years you would be mad not to at least consider your options.....

2. thefarminglad

thefarminglad Well-Known Member

A lot more hours, more tied gown as in milking twice a day seven days a week. Cost of setup well over 200k. Heifers cover there cost year one so wont make you a fortune. Could go on and on. You need help and setup in place well in advance as you wont have time to sort it out once calving starts. Had a friend put the 200k into bricks and mortar and he is doing as well with less work renting out a few houses.

Peter, nashmach, gone and 2 others like this.
  3. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Met a friend yesterday evening who got into them a couple of years ago. He’s a bit younger than me.
    God he’s worn and aged looking. We have another friend milking as well and he has the same appearance.

No other mainstream agri enterprise comes close in terms of reliable profit margin but you earn it.

4. Carrigogunnell

Carrigogunnell Well-Known Member

I suppose everything has it's ups and downs but beef seems to be down more so than up. I've seen a number of lads swap over the last number of years with lads from 20s up to 50s and all seem to be quite happy. It's a big big change and if it's a case ur married and have a family they really need to buy into it to imo. I met a lad recently who I hadn't known that went into cows. he went from 60 sucklers to 45 cows with(self employed) off farm employment also. He said to me he reckons he is putting less time in than before, as with the sucklers he had a lot of different groups of cattle to manage and count and what not.
    Something that most lads have said is that there bills coming in the door everyday when milking cow's you have to be good at managing the money from your milk cheque

5. HEX Heifer

HEX Heifer Member

My first cousin was buying 200 stores and finishing them, he also had 240 ewes.
    This is his second season dairying now. his setup is simple, Robots and 40 cubicles in existing slatted shed, the rest on outdoor cubicles, 2 lely robots, milking 160 cows,all bales at the minute as he put the outdoor cubicles in the existing pit.

I give him a hand at calving time and we make bales together.
    He is very happy with how its gone, made more money in 18 than he ever made with beef and sheep.

His biggest learning was with grass management, as he is on an a/b split with the robots.

He has two kids and he is delighted with the turnaround in his work/life.

Oakley, Peter, Barrowsider and 7 others like this.
  6. Blue Power

Blue Power Well-Known Member

I met a young lad who had just come back from working abroad to work on the home dairy farm. He was full of life as you are when your young. I met the same person 4 years later and no joke I hardly recognised him never had i seen someone age so much. Last I heard he was gone abroad again. I think he made the right decision. Dairying is not for everyone.

scoffcruddle, ithastopay and Peter like this.
  7. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

It's exactly twelve years ago today since I last milked a cow here. I never minded doing anything with the cows but milking them used to really piss me off. I often get asked would I start back milking but even at this stage not for any money. I reckon that you really have to like cows to be able to milk them 24/7.

scoffcruddle and Arthur like this.