New Fuel From Whiskey Waste

The talk is whiskey is now the byproduct at Grants at Girvan they were tied into the high FIT at the start + another kick at ball selling the digestate.

we take a lot of Pot ale to spread to land , it`s not unusual to get a little pop of the tanker gate valve as it opens . If the gas coming off it was cooled again it would produce a very rough spirit
A huge amount of whisky waste is now going to bio-digesters , Draff is being dried then burned to get the RHI tariff
Its surprising how much waste comes of a distillery ,some of the bigger ones would produce over 200,000 litres a day of pot ale

There was a man on here years ago wanting to turn bale wrap into fuel. Anyone know what became of it?

we take a lot of Pot ale to spread to land , it`s not unusual to get a little pop of the tanker gate valve as it opens . If the gas coming off it was cooled again it would produce a very rough spirit
A huge amount of whisky waste is now going to bio-digesters , Draff is being dried then burned to get the RHI tariff
Its surprising how much waste comes of a distillery ,some of the bigger ones would produce over 200,000 litres a day of pot ale
is the draft and pot ale not able to be used on farm for feeding or is the quantities just so large this isnt possible. Pot ale in Ireland and draft are plenty expensive

The talk is whiskey is now the byproduct at Grants at Girvan they were tied into the high FIT at the start + another kick at ball selling the digestate.
i heard a story that there was lorry loads of draff getting hauled down to girvan from up north , for there bio plant , and the same lorry was hauling wood chip back up north to feed a biomass plant , all for the fit all that green energy getting hauled about with diesel
the digestate coming out of girvin is dryed stuff , handy for storing less good for spreading , to much running about with spreaders , it also quite bad for sitting on the surface and you end up skiting about on it during the rainy season
grants have pissed of a lot of farmers down that way , they got a load of them to grow silage and rye silage , all chopped down to 5mm on the promis they would use it in there digester . thats a year ago now dont think theres much of it been used yet :no:

Just having a wry smile at the rainy season :censored: one man not to far away is sitting on 70 acres of rye in the pit as you say after taking the digestate the promise of moving the rye silage never materialized .

is the draft and pot ale not able to be used on farm for feeding or is the quantities just so large this isnt possible. Pot ale in Ireland and draft are plenty expensive
yes it can be used for feed , About 4-5 years ago I was getting offered as much draff as I wanted for a contribution towards the haulage . The pot ale has to be evaporated to make syrup as the straight from the still is just like water , I know of one farmer who used to let the pigs drink the pot ale and they done well enough with it replacing some water. A lot of it used to be dumped in the sea and they reckoned it was good for the fish and always good prawns near where it was dumped . I think they have to pay to dump at sea now hence the alternative uses coming viable

I know a grain hauling lorry driver that was not busy . Another haulage firm asked him would he do a run over to the UK with a Tanker. He collected a load of Whey in Ballyragget and trundled down to the ferry heading for a pig farm in the U.K. . When he got to the pig farm they got him to reverse his shiny new truck and food grade stainless steel truck up to the slurry tank and let the whey in with the Slurry to feed the Digester .

I know a grain hauling lorry driver that was not busy . Another haulage firm asked him would he do a run over to the UK with a Tanker. He collected a load of Whey in Ballyragget and trundled down to the ferry heading for a pig farm in the U.K. . When he got to the pig farm they got him to reverse his shiny new truck and food grade stainless steel truck up to the slurry tank and let the whey in with the Slurry to feed the Digester .

And then we are told that this whey is the way forward given protein bars etc....

Last time I asked they wanted over a €100 a ton for that product :lol:

There is a waste product made during whiskey brewing called Fusel oil, which comes from a German word roughly translating as dirty alcohol.
They usually burn it to get rid of it as much as anything else

Back