New milking parlour

In our DM parlour the pulsators are shared brucey.i suppose the 2x2 pulsation is more along the lines of the hand milking of cows long ago the way it works left and right I mean .
2x2 vs 4x0 is something that people get hung up on, it makes no difference. Its only salesman jargon. A shared pulsator is not something I'd be happy with though. So in a 2x2 separate pulsator system you have one solenoid milking 2 quarters, in a 4x0 shared system you have one solenoid milking 8 quarters, which works fine when it works fine, but "when" you get a faulty solenoid you are doing 4 times the harm, this could be unknown to yourself.

It's a shared pulsator we have anyway in our 12 unit DM parlour. How would you know if a solenoid is faulty, and what can I do to improve this ?? I don't know if the new dairymaster share a pulsator for 2 clusters or not ?

It's a shared pulsator we have anyway in our 12 unit DM parlour. How would you know if a solenoid is faulty, and what can I do to improve this ?? I don't know if the new dairymaster share a pulsator for 2 clusters or not ?

The pulsator would sound different than normal or there would be no pulsation. Valve stems could be cracked and worn out aswell.
The relay itself rarely give up.

Your ears are a very important limb in a milking parlour, as the lads were saying above. Also, your cell count and cow milk out are signs. A regular machine test is advisable, at least once a year. When I came home I was milking in a 6 unit herringbone with one vacuum controlled pulsator doing all 24 cups, it ran slower in cold weather and on really cold days a tap of a hammer was necessary to get it started... I won't tell you the cell count .
My Grandfather was one of the first around these parts with a dedicated milking machine, pulsation was started by giving the pulsation pendulum a swing, milk lines were made of glass as stainless steel was so expensive.

Never test my parlour,well I tested the 1st one I built and the tester said the pulsation was the best he'd seen.

What make of machine have you scoff ?

Mainly westfalia,bought a 8/16 for the front and back gates and used my existing 24 meters (metatron 12s) and fabricated extra stalling curb edge swing arms etc.. for the rest,pulsators are westfalia.

Milk pumps are fulwood and controller ,de-laval upright vessel,have de-laval westfalia and fulwood vac pumps (only use 2,other is spare)
Fabdec plate cooler fed with a volume washer style pump and a packo tube cooler fed with a sub pump from an ice bank.

4" milkline under slung so milk isn't lifting over high,I've 8" fall on the cow standing so ever cow milks at the same height,due to layout only have a slight 3" step as the cows exit at the front,love the rubber walkway matting but it's an arse to wash.

image.png

Have cranked top rail and straight lower rail,pic above was taken before last cranked section was fitted,we couldn't make it and neither could anyone else I tried so it had to come off westfalia.

There is a bit of every thing in there so scoff !is there is surley a dump line in that size of a parlour otherwise you would be worn from drawing buckets outta the pit ??

I want to put acr's in my 12 unit DM parlour it has jars.. have many of ye have acr's in parlours with jars and will it work ??

Last edited:
I want to put acr's in my 12 unit DM parlour it has jars.. have many of ye acr's in parlours with jars and will it work ??
Work have jars and acrs in there Delaval parlour. Works fine . But parlour pit is very clustered because it . Reason being you don’t have swing over arms . So all pipe work is coming from the middle of the parlour. To get from one end of the pit to the other your constantly moving pipe work . Now I don’t milk but just walking through the parlour moving pipe work the whole time gets on my nerves.

Really why not padraig ? Do you have to have a swing over arm for DM acrs ?
We had ACRs in our old 12 unit. They were handy, but TBH, we're I to do it again I would think hard about it, there's other items that will save you a lot more work. Auto calf feeder, drafting gate, trailed grass measurer, pedometers would be put in before I'd go with the ACRs, cubicle bedder, straw blower, all around the similar price range and are automations that will actually save time.

Really why not padraig ? Do you have to have a swing over arm for DM acrs ?
Would it pay you to have them? We had a 14 unit jar plant and had no problems with over milking and that. I think you be better with the turbo realise in the jars then the acrs. That my opinion neway

What is turbo release ? ACRs in a 12 unit without jars might be ok but with jars it's a bit slower so I think the ACRs would be a good investment ..

What is turbo release ? ACRs in a 12 unit without jars might be ok but with jars it's a bit slower so I think the ACRs would be a good investment ..
It won't speed you up doh lad. Turbo realise means when you go to let off the milk it allows it to flow faster away. Plus you can set it up so as you can milk through the jars. Handy for a sunday

Turbo release won't work for me so is it ? I would imagine ACRs are a good job when in the pit on your own ..

Worked on our jar plant neway. Why you think they won't? Had a 14 unit milking 135 cows at peak on my own and I still wouldn't have acrs. You should have no problem with 12 on your own in my view. Just don't want you to spend money on something that won't speed things up for you

12 unit with jars here. Only time I'd see any advantage in acrs in our setup is maybe during calving when you're held up with a problem heifer or something.
Not sure what turbo release is but we just milk through the jars only holding for antibiotics etc.
Wouldn't put in jars again though.
Good few parlours going in round here with duovac instead of acrs.

Back