new phone

My contract is up soon as well think i'll go to sim only monthly contract at the moment paying 75 a month including insurance but since I got the otter box comuter cover the phone has been well protected by my reckoning if I go for the 30 euro plan from Vodafone and bought a phone straight by the end of the year I'd be even with what a contract would of cost me I'm looking at the Samsung s5 because it is meant to be dust and splash resistant

What kind of contracts are available out there at the minute? I'm due an upgrade (I think) and would like to shave a few quid, currently paying €50/month on Meteor. Well, technically speaking I'm supposed to be paying for usage up to a maximum of €50 but as per usual the small print doesn't include multi-media messages and the like so it generally comes in around €60.

Reactivating this thread lads. Made bits of the phone this evening so I'll be looking at whats out there now. Just wondering what ye have and how ye like them. Smart phone and has to be touch screen is what I'll be after again. I'm back to an old Nokia something or other atm and I honestly don't know how I used it before. Buttons are fierce fiddly.
Go on man get a cat phone

Have a Nokia 920 here, it seems to be indestructible. No cover or anything on it, have dropped it lots on concrete over the last 12 months and its still perfect.

Something was flaky on the original one I got and it used crash a fair bit but Vodafone replaced it with a new one a year ago and its been perfect since.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_521 using Tapatalk

Still on a push-button Nokia here, great yoke, it has lasted longer than a lot of its predecessors. I was talked out of a touch screen by the girl in the shop last time I changed, she said they wouldn't be great with dirty or oily hands. Not that it would ever be a problem for yourself :whistle:

I remember back years ago when it was cool to have a nokia,the uncle annoyed the cousin about sometime so he the uncles nokia and broke it up with the sledge:eek:

I'm having a look here tonight and even though I have to go back to two devices again for internet I can work around it and get a decent new phone and a better package for a fiver a month more versus SIM only. But not going 4G for now -Vodafone are robbers for that.

So, anyone got a HTC One Mini 2, I'd like to stick with HTC as the One S has been reliable and served me well.

Have a Samsung S4 here. Super phone and very tough. After getting some serious raps in the otterbox at this stage. Worst of all was it slipped out of me pocket one day scraping the collection yard with the small tractor. Down she went through the cab floor into 3 or 4's of sh1t. Must have been 10 minutes before I realised it had to be in said sh1t and fished it out with a sprong.a rub of a rag and a nlast of the air hose and it was grand. However the odour left a little to be desired

i didnt upgrade yet.
they will only do a 24 mth contract now, they will replace my phone for a new one, as long as the one i hand back is working, in 12 mths time, but once i take that, im automatically tied into another 24 mths, so there is no geting out...
that im not gone on.
now, saying that, ive been with them for 19 years, and any other operator has a crap signal round here, so im really only codding myself by not taking it.
its their way, or no way it seems.

i have a new htc1x in a box here, i could get another 12 mths out of it, or i could sell the damn thing, its locked to vodafone however.
so i done nothing yet.

That's the problem with the newer contracts, all 24 months. Last one I was on was 12, 24 months is a long time but a lot cheaper than buying the actual phone. And as you say, if you're happy with them, doesn't make a massive difference.

it means buying your own phone.
which for a smart one, would be a tad dear i should say.

Or hold on to your existing one and use a way on it.

Bill pay really only works for the top of the range phones, you will find over two years you are paying about 100 more for the phone compared to SIM only on Bill and buying the phone!

i didnt upgrade yet.
they will only do a 24 mth contract now, they will replace my phone for a new one, as long as the one i hand back is working, in 12 mths time, but once i take that, im automatically tied into another 24 mths, so there is no geting out...
that im not gone on.
now, saying that, ive been with them for 19 years, and any other operator has a crap signal round here, so im really only codding myself by not taking it.
its their way, or no way it seems.

i have a new htc1x in a box here, i could get another 12 mths out of it, or i could sell the damn thing, its locked to vodafone however.
so i done nothing yet.

What phone contract are you on?,im with meteor here and im paying 50 a month on a 12 month contract,

it means buying your own phone.
which for a smart one, would be a tad dear i should say.

The sony experia that I bought last wasn't too dear I thought but its not a bill pay phone,which phone has the best camera?

Yeah I was looking at one of them alright but I didn't like the smaller screen.

Yea, they were looking for a more compact model, which is kinda funny, when I bought the s2 it was a big phone and and the z1 compact is marginally bigger, all phones are getting bigger again now, soon we'll have to strap it on the back :D

What phone contract are you on?,im with meteor here and im paying 50 a month on a 12 month contract,

The sony experia that I bought last wasn't too dear I thought but its not a bill pay phone,which phone has the best camera?

What all do you get in that contract?

A lot of phones now are sporting big megapixel counts nowadays, it's a bit overkill imo. Lens quality is far more important. Samsung are doing a decent lens in a phone now.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the operator. A steady hand, making sure the phone camera focuses does a world of wonders when getting a good photo.

Yea, they were looking for a more compact model, which is kinda funny, when I bought the s2 it was a big phone and and the z1 compact is marginally bigger, all phones are getting bigger again now, soon we'll have to strap it on the back :D

Yup, shortly they'll be as heavy as the bricks of old:D.

What all do you get in that contract?

A lot of phones now are sporting big megapixel counts nowadays, it's a bit overkill imo. Lens quality is far more important. Samsung are doing a decent lens in a phone now.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the operator. A steady hand, making sure the phone camera focuses does a world of wonders when getting a good photo.

I'd agree on the camera end, add to that that the higher megapixel images surely have to take up more storage space as well?

I also agree that often it's actually cheaper to buy the phone outright and go pay as you go, there are some great pay as you go options out there if you don't have the phone glued to your ear the hole time... I know some people thought I was stone mad cause I bought my 5s outright but in reality it'll cost me a lot less over its life than it would have on the cheapest 24month contract. Especially as I would tend to use an awful lot more data than I would anything else and I've never even come close to my 21gb data limit with 3! Although their service is becoming a bit more hit and miss lately.... :(

On a slight side note I noticed I was getting 4g at the ploughing today!

I'd agree on the camera end, add to that that the higher megapixel images surely have to take up more storage space as well?

I also agree that often it's actually cheaper to buy the phone outright and go pay as you go, there are some great pay as you go options out there if you don't have the phone glued to your ear the hole time... I know some people thought I was stone mad cause I bought my 5s outright but in reality it'll cost me a lot less over its life than it would have on the cheapest 24month contract. Especially as I would tend to use an awful lot more data than I would anything else and I've never even come close to my 21gb data limit with 3! Although their service is becoming a bit more hit and miss lately.... :(

On a slight side note I noticed I was getting 4g at the ploughing today!

Very similar to yourself drew in that I'd be way more data than minutes/texts, I think people like us get screwed more with new phones to be honest.

Back