New Shear grab

lorries

Looking to buy a new shear grab, what do I go for slurrycat,redrock, Johnston something around 5/5.5 ft any suggestions?

have a redrock and a mckenna and i,d pick the mckenna any time over the redrock

Have you 2 loaders ?
Have a 4 ft 8 inch Old Parmiter here , received a new barrel and tines when previous owner , a neighbour bought it. I replaced the straight edge with new v blades when I bought it.
The previous owner sold it to me , when he bought a new McHale. The Parmiter cuts out 3 x times the amount of silage per year here than it did with him , and cuts cleaner than the McHale . I don't think McHale make shear grabs anymore ?

Have you 2 loaders ?
Have a 4 ft 8 inch Old Parmiter here , received a new barrel and tines when previous owner , a neighbour bought it. I replaced the straight edge with new v blades when I bought it.
The previous owner sold it to me , when he bought a new McHale. The Parmiter cuts out 3 x times the amount of silage per year here than it did with him , and cuts cleaner than the McHale . I don't think McHale make shear grabs anymore ?
i,ve 2 loaders as i keep one in a yard away from the homeplace to feed cattle and its a great backup if one of them breaks down , haven,t seen a new mchale for a long time and i think a lot of places have given up making sheargrabs as bale silage has become more popular

5ft Nugent shear grab here and I'm pleased with it. It's easier closed then the Redrock the brother has and does a cleaner job on the pit face. McHale grabs weren't all that great I was told and they've since stopped making them.

A Johntson here new the year the 40 series Fords came out 20 somthing years old doing 8/ 900 ton per year

5’2” Johnston here since 95. Spent a lot of the years cutting out half width blocks which cracked the fold at the top of the blade, but we plated and welded it and it’s been grand since, has spent the last 3 winters cutting open bales since we gave up pit silage.

There a good strong grab the johnson . Its not a big opening grab but it brings enough. A redrock is good and strong but a load in its self empty . Far too heavy for my liking

Used to have a johnston and a Mckenna here the johnston was nice and cut clean when it was new biggest problem with both of them was keeping the tines tight and when they get worn back they wont cut clean, we feed the blocks out of the grab into the passages so there is plenty scraping tines on the concrete when pushing in, so last year we bought a prodig purely for the welded in hardox tines it is a heavy grab we had to make up a weight block for the back of the tractor, it is a little harder to push into the pit and you'd hardly get them into a bale but it always cuts clean ant there is virtually no wear on the tines, wont buy anything with tines in the future unless they are hardox

I've a five foot rosmore on the 50 that came new back in 1997. It was getting tired a couple of years ago and I had a notion about buying a six foot shear grab for the moffet. I came across a five foot nugent second hand in a dealers yard for small money so I bought it and stuck it on the moffet. I decided to do a rebuild job on the rosmore and put a new box and a set of tines on it and it's like new again. There's very little between the two imo. New seals in the rams makes a big difference to the pit face I've found.

5 ft nugent on a matbro only 4 years but happy enough so far.
Veering slightly off topic here but someone might be able to help.
Had an accident with our grab, tore a port off one of the rams, as in pic. does anyone know where to get a port that can be welded back in? have done a bit of searching but can't seem to find any readily available.
TIA
upload_2018-12-11_12-16-24.png

5 ft nugent on a matbro only 4 years but happy enough so far.
Veering slightly off topic here but someone might be able to help.
Had an accident with our grab, tore a port off one of the rams, as in pic. does anyone know where to get a port that can be welded back in? have done a bit of searching but can't seem to find any readily available.
TIA
View attachment 61126
Local hydraulic shop should get something

Was going to do that myself but the boss man wants the proper fitting put back on it.

Get a male/male adaptor to suit the pipe and cut one half of the threaded side of leaving the but part to weld to the ram. Anywhere that fixes hoses will have one.

I have a 5 f 2" redrock would a valmet a 95 manage this ?..

Should do, but you'll need wheel weights or a weight block to be in charge, I reckon.

A different issue is that they have a dry clutch and gearing is a bit high. You'll be putting a clutch in the next two years if you're doing lots of loader work.

Last edited:
I have wheel weights on it and a weight block. Do they how much would a clutch be to fit ?
If it's a bit fast in the high box work it in the medium range. A shear grab wouldn't be nearly as hard on a clutch as a tine grab because your not ripping the block out if the pit with a shear grab whereas a tine grab you've to pull the silage out.

Back