New tractors versus classics

Clarkes wouldn't be known as been a charitable organization. Why they would advertise an 1800hr tractor with a selling price of a 11k hr tractor is beyond me:scratchhead:

Even if the hours were were genuine, would lads be falling over themselves to buy a 175 though? Especially an early one.

Even if the hours were were genuine, would lads be falling over themselves to buy a 175 though? Especially an early one.
Agree. It would need to be a later model, 2005+ genuine yellow decal with manual spools and decent (high vs. Very low) hours on it. As someone here said before very low hours could mean it spent its life broke down!

Like some of the others said, I’d rather have one modern and reliable and comfortable tractor than 2 or 3 older ones around the place.
I haven’t the patience or time to be fixing or waiting for them to be fixed. The more tractors a farmer has, the harder it is to keep them all in good nick.

If there’s a wish list of older tractors then mine could be:

JD 77/7810.
MB Trac 1100
Fendt 515
MF 3125
Same/Deutz/Zetor need not apply.
John Deere 7810 legend of a tractor

bit of a curve ball. local contractor had a valmet 8550. it was dog rough apparently but nothing could touch it for pulling in wet or hilly places according to themselves and any of us that saw it going up a high hill. dont know if it had a splitter even. too big for my garage though :no:

bit of a curve ball. local contractor had a valmet 8550. it was dog rough apparently but nothing could touch it for pulling in wet or hilly places according to themselves and any of us that saw it going up a high hill. dont know if it had a splitter even. too big for my garage though :no:

serious tractors well able for huge hours, but getting hard to find clean ones, a nice place to spend a day

Was there some form of power boost or was that on bigger ones, can't think what it was called now, 'sigma power' or something like that. There was a spud grower not too far away who had few that went very well apparently.

Was there some form of power boost or was that on bigger ones, can't think what it was called now, 'sigma power' or something like that. There was a spud grower not too far away who had few that went very well apparently.
Dont know but suspect the local 1 was opened up a bit. id say 'undiluted power'.. had big hours done too.

Great tractor awesome traction going forward, but very poor in reverse.

On those that was the 8750 and later 8950.

8400 valmet here was great for grip until we put bkt on the back, its average now but a savage to pull for its class, doing 160hp with 1800hrs 18 years ago? don't know the hours now but north of 11000 as that what the clock says and it lies.

I will happily spend the day in the valmet or 6180 mf here, even the sle ts115. however I think a bit of suspension would be all it would take to move me to newer tractor for a days work, all the above tend to j=have enough clutchless shifts to do field and road work without much hassle when manual gear is right for the job.

The advantage of good suspension is not to be underestimated for sure.

Over the past couple of years, my back would be giving me a bit of pain. Especially after the first busy tractor day of the year - which is usually spreading fertilizer. But it was getting more frequent in the past year or two, even a bad mattress would do it.
Got a scan at the end of last year and it showed two bulging discs and as the GP described- a lot more wear and tear than he’d normally see.

Since we changed tractor, I haven’t had any back pain whatsoever after using it for long hours. Very happy with that.
Previous tractor had an air seat and front suspension but the new tractor is much much smoother and has cab suspension.

I think it is curious that the US airforce are repowering their B52s to give a service life of 100 years, and the average age of a plane in the USAF is close to 30 years.

A well maintained classic is going to be every bit as reliable as a new one. The only problem is when or if parts get hard to find or too expensive.

I run a ts115, 7610, 4600, 4000, 550 and jcb 407, combined age well over 200 years. No major breakdown in years (touch wood). I do small hours though, the ts is here 20 years and still hasn't broken 6k hours.

I think it is curious that the US airforce are repowering their B52s to give a service life of 100 years, and the average age of a plane in the USAF is close to 30 years.

A well maintained classic is going to be every bit as reliable as a new one. The only problem is when or if parts get hard to find or too expensive.

I run a ts115, 7610, 4600, 4000, 550 and jcb 407, combined age well over 200 years. No major breakdown in years (touch wood). I do small hours though, the ts is here 20 years and still hasn't broken 6k hours.

Ts115 are a nice tractor , have you weights on it. They are a bit light on front.

They are still making 25 k or more if you can get a clean one.

My favourite tractors were and always will be john deere 3050 3650.. sg2 cab is still a nice place to be in for a day. They were always comfortable and the gears nice beside you not between your legs. I have many fond memories at grass years ago driving them. Modern classic as well. So yea I'd have a fleet of 3650s if it came to it..

My favourite tractors were and always will be john deere 3050 3650.. sg2 cab is still a nice place to be in for a day. They were always comfortable and the gears nice beside you not between your legs. I have many fond memories at grass years ago driving them. Modern classic as well. So yea I'd have a fleet of 3650s if it came to it..

The couple of 3050s I used to drive were excellent despite both having over 12k hours they drove like 2k hrs,so impressed I bought myself a 3650,it was a cracking tractor but the 6000 Deere’s were and are still my favourites by a mile.

As the owner of a couple of tractors that cost over £100k when I bought them new I can safely say I’m not in a rush to replace them,I’m voting with my feet and avoiding new for now.

The couple of 3050s I used to drive were excellent despite both having over 12k hours they drove like 2k hrs,so impressed I bought myself a 3650,it was a cracking tractor but the 6000 Deere’s were and are still my favourites by a mile.

As the owner of a couple of tractors that cost over £100k when I bought them new I can safely say I’m not in a rush to replace them,I’m voting with my feet and avoiding new for now.

Love the 6000 series but I miss that long narrow bonnet the 50s had..

It has a 4cylinder phaser. 65 ish hp I think. The 406 was a 3 pot alright. Here are a few:

Ts is a sldp.View attachment 77532 View attachment 77533 View attachment 77534

I keep saying that is as nice a 4600 as you would see anywhere, a gorgeous tractor and that 7610 Is In a similar bracket too with The AP cab, a rare find now In clean condition.

Main Tractor here is 18 yr old Mx 170, she's clocked 500 hrs in last 7 weeks
View attachment 77589

A lovely looking tractor, The hum from One alone Is pure heaven. You'll be testing her out there With The (new to You?) Drill!!

A lovely looking tractor, The hum from One alone Is pure heaven. You'll be testing her out there With The (new to You?) Drill!!
Ya its 3m so well able to pull it, didn't go for 4m as have quite bit of hilly ground, drill belonged to another member on here

Back