New workshop

The big move starts tomorrow. Lighting is something that needs to be done straight away. Anyone have any experience with new high bay LED lights or LED floodlights for outside. Better to buy off local electrical wholesaler or is there better value online?

Bought some 100 watt led flood lights off local Supplier for 46 euro each. At that money i went local as if they go wrong they will be replaced for free and claimed vat back. The 50 watt leds were 26 euro. I bought them off Enniscorthy electrical wholesale.

Have highways here in one shed, great for general lighting, in workshop I went for a higher number of led tubes to minimize shadows working on machines as in light coming from different directions, prob not an issue at your type of work.

Edit: highways should have read high bays... Oops

Last edited:
like WestCork I would recommend at least one part of the shed where most work could be happening at machines being repaired or made you install a few extra lights, even on a different switch.

I have 8 pairs of double fluorescent lights in the workshop and have them switched on in pairs and a few of them switched on singly in the workbench area. Got them all free 17 years ago when I built the shed and they give plenty of light in my opinion. I rarely use the workshop at night so there wouldn’t be big hours clocked up on the lights. Also have a moveable halogen fitted over the workbench for extra light.
LEDs are the way forward if I had to do it again in another shed.

Are many using leds in workshop, no personal experience but have heard of people complaining that the light is different and not great for welding and detailed work

Are many using leds in workshop, no personal experience but have heard of people complaining that the light is different and not great for welding and detailed work
There could be a flicker effect on some tools maybe even stroboscopic effect as for quality of light done right it should be better

You’ve a fine travelling crane there too. Best of luck with the move, you can never have enough shed space.

Thanks, yes a good crane set up. It needs to be motorized but I have most of the kit left over from a shed I was operating out of a few years ago.

Anyone know a good detergent to remove heavy oil from the floor. There is years of split oil built up. Didn't really notice it til it got wet and the forklift back end starting going out!

Anyone know a good detergent to remove heavy oil from the floor. There is years of split oil built up. Didn't really notice it til it got wet and the forklift back end starting going out!
autosmart g101 or triple, triple would be stronger than g101

After a bit of phoning around and advice from a friend who is a professional cleaner, I got this stuff. Leave on the floor, work with a yard brush and clean with water....

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 135
Some roof repairs today. It's all asbestos sheet on the roof. Replacement is on the list but fairly far down. I wasn't a million miles from athy yesterday so called in and picked up some polycarbonate roof lights. Turns out the asbestos sheets came in a few profiles and I have three of them on the various roofs....these are called super 4. They were the wrong ones for this roof but with the weather coming we made it work....question now is keep patching and repair or take the deep breath and strip. To be honest it will have to be patch and repair for now....list of jobs is too big...

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 137
Some floor repairs going on at the moment. Have a machine with a breaker hired to break up some of the yard to build a steel rack. In one part of the shed, there is a 'round the corner' door. Track is completly gone in the floor. Trying to decide whether to try and buy the replacment one from henderson or try to make something up....

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 170
Are the vertical H irons welded onto a horizontal H iron in the ground?
Dug out 1m wide x 34m long, a good 4 or 500 deep. The feet are 203x203 beams (been hoarding offcuts!). Approx 18 m of ready mix to act as a good anchor.

It's going to be well loaded with bales of tube box etc...we are forever going round trying to figure out what we have and what needs ordering so this should make know what stock is there easy...it will also be a serious windbrake. There's a roof and sheeted back....when time allows!

Time for some more roof repairs. I have a lot of leaks at the eaves. There were holes for stove chimneys (lots of free turf!) and it's here the old roof sheets are cracking. After much swearing flat sheets were slipped under existing sheets and intend to put on new highline gutter. First attempt didn't work so trying something else....

Attachments

• DSC_0002_112.JPG
    DSC_0002_112.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0005_95.JPG
    DSC_0005_95.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0004_102.JPG
    DSC_0004_102.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0003_110.JPG
    DSC_0003_110.JPG