Nozzles and water and speed

laoisfarmer

Well lads don't do much of the spraying the bossman is on holidays so it's my job this week . What nozzles and water rates are people using . We are on red low drift hardi's , 75 litres acre at 11 km and 3 bar .

Generally 150-200 L/ha here. Using Amistar low drifts (035 size) for everything.

Really like them. Not sure of speed as rate controller looks after output regardless of speed.

Generally 150-200 L/ha here. Using Amistar low drifts (035 size) for everything.

Really like them. Not sure of speed as rate controller looks after output regardless of speed.

Would really like to move to a bigger tank and rate control . Have a few 50 and 60 acre plots and it would be great to go with one fill to each place .

Would really like to move to a bigger tank and rate control . Have a few 50 and 60 acre plots and it would be great to go with one fill to each place .

Ours is just a basic RDS Spraymaster 200 controller, it was on our last sprayer when we bought it, really like it so had one fitted to the next sprayer we got.

I use 100 litres an acre, no idea what the nozzles are other then there blue if that means anything?. No idea of speed either but I would guess maybe 7 or 8 km/h.

I use 100 litres an acre, no idea what the nozzles are other then there blue if that means anything?. No idea of speed either but I would guess maybe 7 or 8 km/h.

He is looking for advice on spraying lad not irrigating.you won't suffer from drought at that water rate.

We use amistar the same as cork 035s really really good in breezy conditions.using about 120 l/ha at 12 k or there about.bit less speed for more water then.
If it's calm I'd use a flat fan for weed spray for maximum coverage.
Woukdnt be afraid to go back to 100/ha

I'd usually use 16 gallons/acre, or 180L/Ha as it's known nowadays. Travel around 6.5mph at 3 bar, let the rate controller take care of the rest.

depends on field size to suit a tank full so I don't have to come back to spray less than 3 acres ,usually about 150 l/ha ,rate controller takes care of it all and if its breezy slow down a little bit to spray with a bit coarser a spray ,good conditions can get up to 15 kph

Are you spraying at 6 bar pressure? Think I read somewhere that too much water can be a bad thing when applying fungicides.

Are you spraying at 6 bar pressure? Think I read somewhere that too much water can be a bad thing when applying fungicides.

3 bar. I don't really know why I settled on 100L an acre but I use it for everything unless the bottle of stuff says otherwise. It looks like an awful lot of water but if you get off the tractor and look at whats just been done the chemical isn't dripping off the plants either but they are nicely coated. Bit overkill maybe.

3 bar. I don't really know why I settled on 100L an acre but I use it for everything unless the bottle of stuff says otherwise. It looks like an awful lot of water but if you get off the tractor and look at whats just been done the chemical isn't dripping off the plants either but they are nicely coated. Bit overkill maybe.

20 gallon,100 liter used to be the standard

100l to the acre here too, bit old fashioned but no scorch.

3 bar of pressure as well.

40110-20's nozzles I am 90% sure.

Sixth gear in the 3600 so around 6 to 7mph I'm pretty sure.

Seems to work here.

Start early herbicides with "Defy" 03's alternated forward and back @3 bar at 12K = 120L/ha.
Then Fungicides and all broadleaf crops through G.A.T.04's and AIXR o4's alternated on every second body @ 3 bar at 12.5K = 150L/ha.
Wild oats early back to defy and later XR 04's (Flat fan) @3 bar at 12.5K = 150L/ha.

3 bar x 8 km/hr x 03 nozzle (blue) = 180 l/ha , maybe your not as strong with the water as you thought! the reason I was curious was I need a set of nozzles for grassland work (docks etc) , im currently using 04's which involves going slow or having the pressure at 5 bar, probably get 05's.

On the tillage side im like most here and use between 150 l/ha and 200 l/ha.

Weeds = 03 flat fan (180 l to 200 l/ha)
fungicides = Guardian Air @ 150l/ha.

Was considering a set of Guardian Air Twin to replace the flat fans, how do ye find them?

Start early herbicides with "Defy" 03's alternated forward and back @3 bar at 12K = 120L/ha.
Then Fungicides and all broadleaf crops through G.A.T.04's and AIXR o4's alternated on every second body @ 3 bar at 12.5K = 150L/ha.
Wild oats early back to defy and later XR 04's (Flat fan) @3 bar at 12.5K = 150L/ha.

Where did you buy the Defy nozzles, i dont see any for sale online?

I got the Defy from Syengenta.
On the G.A.T.'s I find them a small bit soft, but they have improved them a bit since. they are still a great nozzle and I would not be without them I use them more than any others.
Don't replace your flat fans with GAT's they do a very different job and are much more a deluxe Amistar than anything else, if you turn every second amistar nozzle backwards you will be 99% of the way to doing the job of GAT's
Both Amistar (Guardian Air) and GAT (Guardian Air Twin) are designed to give excellent coverage of the head when spraying late in the season, because of this neither of them get good penetration into the crop canopy. If you need to get right down to the base of a thick crop you still can't beat a flat fan.

Last edited:
Ah at last a nozzle discussion. I am researching this area at the moment out of curiosity and a general feeling that there must be a better approach to producing consistent sized droplets that wont drift.

Anyone use rotary nozzles and any reasons why they haven't taken off more given their supposed low drift characteristics?

Any idea where I'd find out what the global market for crop sprayers is worth or more specifically for nozzles.

Rotary nozzles?
Do you have any links, sorry I can't even picture what type of nozzle you're talking about.

Back