Nozzles and water and speed

Working small acres here and when trying to use full cans etc you do have to be very careful. I need to buy more land to make things easier

Working small acres here and when trying to use full cans etc you do have to be very careful. I need to buy more land to make things easier

About time you spent some bit of it, Co. Louth probably isn’t big enough for all you land barons, I’d say you’ll have to move into Meath!!

Quality land here sure that Meath stuff you couldn't give it away. No coincidence Goldcrop had to have an office here! We must have more merchants per acre than most counties too???

About time you spent some bit of it, Co. Louth probably isn’t big enough for all you land barons, I’d say you’ll have to move into Meath!!

Towbar better mind that his mattress doesn't start resembling diesel powers soon :laugh:

I'd say no more than my own house diesel power now has in-house help to prevent any build ups under the mattress. Are you still safe on that front Nash?? if so I'd recommend spending it now as it gets a lot trickier as the nest fills!!
In house help that requires no pre programming just extensive ongoing maintenance :laugh:. Me poor mattress is gone very anorexic looking of late :cry:

I'd say no more than my own house diesel power now has in-house help to prevent any build ups under the mattress. Are you still safe on that front Nash?? if so I'd recommend spending it now as it gets a lot trickier as the nest fills!!

My mattress is gone very scarce, straw is worth too much!

Do they spray forward and back and what’s leaf coverage like
On the look out for low drift nozzle with coverage close to that of fan

Do they spray forward and back and what’s leaf coverage like
On the look out for low drift nozzle with coverage close to that of fan
Yes they spray 30° forward and backward.
Coverage is great, miles better than flat fan in certain circumstances, pre-emerge they are hard to equal let alone beat, ear spray and broadleaf crops they are king, great leaf coverage in dense cereals but poor penetration.
Do not use them for late wild oats control or stem mildew.
Not a suitable nozzle if you don't have an alternative, but as a secondary to flat fan they are hard to beat.

We're you running the earlier GAT's @gone or the later modified version? Used to get a little bit of bother with the early type, but haven't had a single blocked nozzle or one fall apart with the newer type.

We're you running the earlier GAT's @gone or the later modified version? Used to get a little bit of bother with the early type, but haven't had a single blocked nozzle or one fall apart with the newer type.
I originally use to run the early GATs, but Hypro replaced some of them for me, but had a set of the later ones for a few years. I used them as my main nozzle for a good few seasons and like them, but I would have found that they block easier than Teejet nozzles and are much more prone to damage than other nozzles. The 28M booms are more inclined to meet things they shouldn't and the GATs were the nozzles I always had to buy spares of. They are a damn good nozzle and really all that made me go for the Albuz was the STRIPE 90% certification and the fact that they have ceramic tips so will out last GATs 5/10 fold.
The sprayer now has a set of Albuz red twin ceramics, a set of Hypro defy 3d reds, a set Guardian Air blue and a set of Teejet XR flat fan red ceramics.

Looks like it’s hard to beat a regular flat fan for coverage on a good calm day.

That prototype Defy doesn’t look great in the pic.

Guardian Air is good in breezy weather. I was spraying WOSR the other day with the GA’s. Dead calm good day.

It was easy to see coverage on the leaves. I changed over to regular flat fan as the coverage looked a bit better.

When desiccating the beans with Reglone, I was using 300L/Ha water for max coverage with the contact chemical. I used Defy 3D’s with every second one facing forward. It almost fogged the crop. It was like Napalm - not a green leaf left in the field a few days later.

Good test would love have being at that. As above flat fan nice coverage but if you could measure drift I'll bet it would be a good bit higher unless very calm.

I have an idea in my head for a nozzle that would produce identical size drops consistently but it's just not commercially viable yet anyway.

We didn't get to do any vertical water paper tests.
The flat fans wouldn't look as good in the vertical tests, but definitely still a great nozzle for a calm day and for penetration into dense cereal crops.
Again the new air induction defy would look miles better in the vertical target test, I'm not sure if I'm sold yet but as a pre-emerge nozzle it could well be the best available.

Funny local guy here this evening told me moving this year fully to liquid apparently another man saw significant difference in a field that happened to treated with one section liquid and the rest granular. I suspect a lot to do with the dry weather but interesting and apparently price is comparable at the moment.

Back