old school but,

Discussion in 'Grassland Management' started by paysan en france, Dec 16, 2018.

1. paysan en france

paysan en france Active Member

spreading FYM on next years cutting grass.
    When and how much? Just a little info.Will travel now or later and going on to permanent grass for hay and any left over on to IRG for silage. Not in NVZ and I spread quick lime on in the spring. Have to really look at cutting costs yet keep production up because have been feeding cows since the end of July. Government has confirmed our department was hit badly the with the drought this year. Don't really need another 1 next year.

2. Arthur

Arthur Well-Known Member

I'd be afraid of FYM on grass that's to be cut unless its very composted it would come back in with the crop.

3. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

I'd be going with it now. There's a better chance the winter rain, snow and frost will compost it in nicely.

I still wouldn't fancy going too heavy with it though.

4. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

Fym has a habit of sticking around especially if it's strawy. Like the others have said I'd be afraid of it coming back in with your silage. If it's well rotted and the spreader does a nice fine job of spreading it then it would be ok but I wouldn't go to heavy with it.

5. paysan en france

paysan en france Active Member

Will be no problem then muck has been turned 2/3 times.

6. Big Vern

Big Vern Well-Known Member

Somerset all the time now ... As I'm a civvie
    Get a bit fired on if it's (the ground) dry enough, no need to kick the Arse out of it, , it's gonna have near 6 months on the ground and I'll suppose you're u chain Harrow it a bit in the spring ??