Once a day milking

Treemover

We’re just considering options, has anyone embarked on once a day milking? Or know a farm that has??

Def can see pros and cons, but with fodder in short supply, might be the right thing to do??

We still have cows calving down, my fear is how they will fit in.

We’re just considering options, has anyone embarked on once a day milking? Or know a farm that has??

Def can see pros and cons, but with fodder in short supply, might be the right thing to do??

We still have cows calving down, my fear is how they will fit in.

Didn't that farm that was on the TV show on RTE in the spring do once a day milking, they were two vets, from the South East direction if I remember correctly

2 people at it that I know personally. One is milking 150 cows OAD and the other is around about 60 or 70. Both get on very well with the system and neither have any intention of changing back to twice a day any time soon. Time was the main factor or lack thereof with the normal system and both men say the once a day job frees them up in the evenings to do other work or just simply take it a bit easier.

2 people at it that I know personally. One is milking 150 cows OAD and the other is around about 60 or 70. Both get on very well with the system and neither have any intention of changing back to twice a day any time soon. Time was the main factor or lack thereof with the normal system and both men say the once a day job frees them up in the evenings to do other work or just simply take it a bit easier.

Do they start OAD from the day the cow calves

Not sure if it's from the time of calving now tbh. The man with the big number I would be fairly sure is and has been oad since his children came along and their in school now. The other only started it this year when the drought was in full swing to save on feed and a bit less stress on his cows. Loads of grass now but he's well happy with the oad and he's considering staying with it. I might be talking to the second man tomorrow and I must ask him what he plans to do going forward on that score.

I see the lads milking 800 cows with milking bails have now gone to twice a day milking,personally I'd milk a few less twice a day.

Teagasc held an OAD event earlier in the year, they have plenty of info. As mentioned above Gillian wall who was on big week on the farm is fully OAD, super operators. Lots of info out there, ask your teagasc person or even milk advisor in the coop as they would have plenty info also I’d imagine

A neighbor went once a day recently and the aul fella had it that in year one theres 30% of a hit in milk production, year two its less and by the third year it's only a small bit less than the twice a day system.

It may take a while to bed in the new system once your ok with it. Look into it with someone who knows what they're talking about.. lol. There's pros and cons with everything good luck with it.

I've got it too handy and am too lazy as is to dare consider going OAD here ha. Lucky enough to have access to a good few relief milkers and I'd be doing them out of a job also ha.

Back