Planning permission for a gap

Blue Power

Is planning permission required to make a gap in to a field off a public road? I was thinking to open a 24ft gap.

Yes as far as I know. Is there any trace of a gap there already?

There is a 16ft gap into the field but just not at the best place and is too narrow. A better entrance would be further along the road. If I need planning and I get refused I'll just fall back on the 16ft gap and widen it.

I plan to build 2 block and plastered piers and hang a single 22ft gate. If it's finished tidy it will keep the neighbours happy.

There is a 16ft gap into the field but just not at the best place and is too narrow. A better entrance would be further along the road. If I need planning and I get refused I'll just fall back on the 16ft gap and widen it.

I plan to build 2 block and plastered piers and hang a single 22ft gate. If it's finished tidy it will keep the neighbours happy.

Personally, I’d work away and open the gap rather than going for permission first but that’s just me.

the gap has always been there and overgrown...

It's overgrown with grass but behind the grass is a nice dry stone wall (I wonder would I get a restoration grant to restore this wall along the road).

The new gap would be adjoining a neighbours dwelling so I would have to give reassurance that there would be no mess at the entrance. The idea is to enter the field with a full tank of slurry spread down the hill and exit at the bottom on to the farm roadway back to the yard for the next fill so really the gap is for entering and not exiting.

It's overgrown with grass but behind the grass is a nice dry stone wall (I wonder would I get a restoration grant to restore this wall along the road).

The new gap would be adjoining a neighbours dwelling so I would have to give reassurance that there would be no mess at the entrance. The idea is to enter the field with a full tank of slurry spread down the hill and exit at the bottom on to the farm roadway back to the yard for the next fill so really the gap is for entering and not exiting.
I would work away and say nothing to the co co. Just make sure your neighbour is fully on board and happy with the size, shape, wall type etc before you commence work. Usually trouble over planning arises because a neighbour has their nose out of joint and reports the work to the co co.

If you go without planning and manage to get 5 years without objections you are safe from any in the future

Is it only 5. For some reason I though it was way way longer ?

It is 7 years
Lets say for example in year 8 you decide to apply for planning for a shed and they discover you don't have planning for the entrance you will need to reapply and retain the entrance, you will have to regularize and problems on site first.

If you go without planning and manage to get 5 years without objections you are safe from any in the future

Is it only 5. For some reason I though it was way way longer ?

It is 7 years
Lets say for example in year 8 you decide to apply for planning for a shed and they discover you don't have planning for the entrance you will need to reapply and retain the entrance, you will have to regularize and problems on site first.

It is 7 years
Might be 7 now, I'm thinking back to when I did one and hadn't realized how long ago it was, back in 2006.
It used to be the case that it depends on the width of the public road as to whether you need permission or not
That clause was there back then but it would be a very narrow road iirc, not sure what the exact width is or where it would be measured from.

Back