Ploughing

View attachment 75900 View attachment 75901 Ploughing up heavy ground, was meant for carrots and was subsoiled last backend so it didn’t plough up great. Will be left until the end of the week before it’s touched. Plenty of help and the minute so trying to wipe out as much ground as we can in a few days.
As you take the second pic the 2 boy`s in the tractors are thinking hes lying on the stubble taking a pic ? . He`s definitely lost the plot ,:lol::lol:

Ploughing up what I got caught with last November. It’s dry down about 2/3 of the way and like plasticine under that.
Putting the dry soil under and the horrible stuff up to dry before it gets the power harrow.

Not very satisfying work, thought the slatted boards might leave it more broken for drying. I’d prefer to give the plough its first run in daylight and nicer conditions!
41E15A64-A9D4-4FD7-B2CF-B52D86EEC509.jpeg

Ploughing up what I got caught with last November. It’s dry down about 2/3 of the way and like plasticine under that.
Putting the dry soil under and the horrible stuff up to dry before it gets the power harrow.

Not very satisfying work, thought the slatted boards might leave it more broken for drying. I’d prefer to give the plough its first run in daylight and nicer conditions!
View attachment 75903

Where's the press :scared:

From last night, last field for the year.
20200330_194406.jpg

Great drying here today and it was after drying out well.

Hopefully be sown on Friday but wont roll given the forecast.

Where's the press :scared:

From last night, last field for the year.
View attachment 75906

Great drying here today and it was after drying out well.

Hopefully be sown on Friday but wont roll given the forecast.

Definitely miss the press but it wouldn’t be good in this sticky job.
The press, once it completes this spring will be chopped in 3 and hopefully extended. It currently covers 64” but will be extended to cover 5 x 20”.
New axles have been ordered for about €200. Bearings look fine and we have spare rings.
That’s the plan!

Ploughing at 5 x 18” sods tonight, started around 8pm and took out about 12 acres, definitely moving across the field quicker than before.
870kg block seems adequate and the tractor seems quite comfortable with the plough.

I wasn’t on that job , I’m at fert. But they would probably be thinking it most of the time about the lad taking it anyway!!!!

Was it you coming out of the lane on the Mountrath side of Borris in Ossory this evening a little after 6?

Was it you coming out of the lane on the Mountrath side of Borris in Ossory this evening a little after 6?
No was over around Abbeyleix today, over that was tomorrow. There is another lad that spreads but he has John Deere 6920 and stainless spreader with an extension, I’m on a 6170r and newer red type bredal.

No was over around Abbeyleix today, over that was tomorrow. There is another lad that spreads but he has John Deere 6920 and stainless spreader with an extension, I’m on a 6170r and newer red type bredal.

Your neighbour who does the bulk spreading over our direction with the 6480 , had a new Sulky spreader doing a farm beside me .
Rare machine.

Your neighbour who does the bulk spreading over our direction with the 6480 , had a new Sulky spreader doing a farm beside me .
Rare machine.
Yeh he only got it this year, he also has the other spreader I mentioned. Think it was coolmores old spreader .

Yeh he only got it this year, he also has the other spreader I mentioned. Think it was coolmores old spreader .
Is that your tillage outside borris on the right as you head to mountrath? I used to travel up and down to Waterford and I would be looking at crops growing every week, I’d say I know every tillage field from Galway to Waterford

Got it all turned over yesterday, the field that had the fodder rape had dried surprisingly well on top bar a few spots but will need a bit of time to dry off still. Other field seemed to be in fairly good order and I think he even managed to plough out a bit of a wet spot that has been left the last 2 yearD2ACD5FC-27D8-4F85-9B00-85DEBE6E0931.jpgE19F53DB-80DF-42B2-BB27-0C1D3C42A1FD.jpg

Going ploughing set aside for sunflowers next week because there’s an abundance of sterile brome. Planted a cc of clover/lucerne mix but the brome took over. I hate set aside.
Is there any set aside in Ireland now?

Back