Ploughing

Drilling oats tomorrow only 20 acres to knock the rust off the drill and scratch the itch.

No rush to sow here either and we would usually be early.

It is just too cold.

Humungus neighbour is around though showing us peasants how it really should be done and another neighbour is sowing a lot today; Fendt 939 and 6m Horsch drill followed by a huge Volvo loader :eek:

Our MF 30 would only be in the halfpenny place.

"It's about how you farm your acres, not how many acres you farm"

It is just too cold.

Humungus neighbour is around though showing us peasants how it really should be done and another neighbour is sowing a lot today; Fendt 939 and 6m Horsch drill followed by a huge Volvo loader :eek:

At least your gear is paid for :thumbup:

The other outfit is only working for the bank :whistle:

It is just too cold.

Didn't think he had land way out urway Nash.
Did the 939 man not get a new valtra to pull his drill.

It is just too cold.

your mf 30 will still be doin the job when the Horsch has gone out of fashion and its yours and paid for ,the crop will grow just the same. A local contractor has bought a 300 hp and 6 metre combi drill and rumour has it that some of his customers have booked elsewhere as they think its too heavy and costly on fuel .

been ploughing some steep banks today but its no more than dry enough , easing the plough to get up the steepest ,would need 2 weeks of dry before I would be tempted by a drill ,still 140 acres to plough yet

your mf 30 will still be doin the job when the Horsch has gone out of fashion and its yours and paid for ,the crop will grow just the same. A local contractor has bought a 300 hp and 6 metre combi drill and rumour has it that some of his customers have booked elsewhere as they think its too heavy and costly on fuel .

Exactly, I'm not bitching and moaning, we have chosen our system and it works for us, it was just a tongue in cheek comment.

Anyways our entire fleets depreciation at the minute probably wouldn't fully recondition the wearing parts on the Horsch :eek:

ground good around here although tacky in some spots

014afn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ploughing 2013 1.jpg

ploughing 2013.jpg

ploughing 2013 2.jpg

first two are us trying to plough where carrotts were a few wet holes but it might dry now , the other is a bit of stuble ,ploughing nice enough but will be a week before drill goes near it.
Of to sow spring wheat tommorrow ,its not near the road so will be able to get drill sorted:whistling:

Exactly, I'm not bitching and moaning, we have chosen our system and it works for us, it was just a tongue in cheek comment.

Anyways our entire fleets depreciation at the minute probably wouldn't fully recondition the wearing parts on the Horsch :eek:
no fancy kit here either but it all does a job

Thought it might be whites, is that the tractor that was at the machinery show, spudman with a need for speed?

View attachment 12145

View attachment 12146

View attachment 12147

first two are us trying to plough where carrotts were a few wet holes but it might dry now , the other is a bit of stuble ,ploughing nice enough but will be a week before drill goes near it.
Of to sow spring wheat tommorrow ,its not near the road so will be able to get drill sorted:whistling:

Have you much ploughing done? we used to plough in tandem like that, did ye ever collide?

Have you much ploughing done? we used to plough in tandem like that, did ye ever collide?

Normally only plough together for winter sowing , finished fert this morning and no seed till tomorrow so decided to stick on second plough . Usually the main plough man does all the spring ploughing . Only started yesterday evening have 65 acres ploughed , the land were on is only drying now so time enough ploughing will leave him at it for the week ( might even give him a 5 furrow to play with for a few days ) and give him a hand when not at everything else .never had a collision yet but we leave very big headlands so that helps

We used to plough with two six furrows in tandem and a 17 yard headland and never collided . To make it interesting we used to call in a four furrow and the second one out of the furrow would do a loop and come in behind so the leader was always changing . My mother said it looked like ballet with the tractors turning and twelve furrows swinging over .

Ive been ploughing on my own since we got the semi mounted plough, lads i know were ploughing with 4 x 7 sods this week, our headland is about 15m, 5 runs of the plough does the headland, i can make it back into the furrow in a U no loops no stopping, i wouldnt like to go back to a mounted, i know there are downsides to a semi mounted, and some people dont like them but im very happy with it :thumbup:

I often ploughed all morning and never touched the clutch on the TW 15 . We bought the first 6 furrow in 1994 and the second in 97 . Some people are able to handle the trailer ploughs , you need to plough into the corners when doing the main field so when you are ploughing the headland the corner is already done .

Back